GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 18:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

Even though books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Premium Member
Even though books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 20:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:44) correct 52% (01:40) wrong based on 673 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears as savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peaks of snow covered mountains, in reality they are playful and sociable and only attack if they or their cubs are threatened.

A) books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears as savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peaks of snow covered mountains,

B) in books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears as savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peaks of snow covered mountains,

C) grizzly bears are portrayed in books about the Canadian wilderness as savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peak tops of snow covered mountains,

D) books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears as if they were savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peak tops of snow covered mountains,

E) books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears to be savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peaks of snow covered mountains,

Source Manhattan Review
Please kindly breakdown. Doesnt the ing modify the entire previous clause as well and not the immediate preceding subject?
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Even though books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 03:00
sobby wrote:
Thought C but .........................................
Why A is correct...

In C, "peak tops" is wrong - either use "peaks" or use "tops".

However option A has problem as well. Ideally "grizzly bears" should have been the subject the first clause, because the pronoun "they" referring to "grizzly bears" is the subject of the second clause. (If a pronoun that is the subject of a clause has two possible antecedents, one of which is the subject of another clause within the sentence, the pronoun would, by virtue of parallelism, unambiguously refer to the subject antecedent.)

C would be the best answer, if "peaks" instead of "peak tops" were used.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Even though books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 10:20
abhishekdadarwal2009 wrote:
Even though books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears as savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peaks of snow covered mountains, in reality they are playful and sociable and only attack if they or their cubs are threatened.

A) books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears as savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peaks of snow covered mountains,

B) in books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears as savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peaks of snow covered mountains,

C) grizzly bears are portrayed in books about the Canadian wilderness as savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peak tops of snow covered mountains,

D) books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears as if they were savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peak tops of snow covered mountains,

E) books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears to be savage animals, roaring ferociously from the peaks of snow covered mountains,

Option A is correct ,since the roaring ferocioulsy is refering to the savage animals,the modifier ing can modify both the noun before the comma or the phrase.

No I am not convinced with your reasoning
an v-ing modifier can work both as an adjective and an adverb.
but there is a small difference
when v-ing is preceded by comma (i.e ,+ ving) then it cannot modify the preceding noun, instead it modifies the whole clause
but ving if not preceded by comma then it must modify the preceding noun and works as an adjective

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Re: Even though books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 22:00
not convinced with OA
i chose c as books can't roar itself so the subject should be grizzly bears .

need help ?
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 22:36
Exactly my reasoning and initial answer. Perhaps they got it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 04:59
Shouldn't the 'They' in second clause refer to Grizzly bears. In A, they in referring to books. I don't think OA is correct. Please suggest!!

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 06:32
Top Contributor
The comma+ing adverbial modifier namely 'roaring' modifies just not the books in the context but the books' portrayal of the animals as the savage ones. Let us appreciate that roaring is not an adjectival modifier.

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 06:55
daagh wrote:
The comma+ing adverbial modifier namely 'roaring' modifies just not the books in the context but the books' portrayal of the animals as the savage ones. Let us appreciate that roaring is not an adjectival modifier.

So, does that mean they could refer to animals here? and Why not Grizzly bears?

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 07:03
Top Contributor
Yes. 'They' does refer to the bears. Logically, it does not matter whether 'they' refers to the bears or the animals as long as that plural word is not taken to refer to the books just because that is an another plural word.

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 07:09
Thought C but .........................................
Why A is correct...
Board of Directors
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 08:04
daagh wrote:
Yes. 'They' does refer to the bears. Logically, it does not matter whether 'they' refers to the bears or the animals as long as that plural word is not taken to refer to the books just because that is an another plural word.

Thanks daagh Sir, now I got your point. :)

Director
Director
P
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Mar 2017, 09:39

Option A is correct ,since the roaring ferocioulsy is refering to the savage animals,the modifier ing can modify both the noun before the comma or the phrase.

Originally posted by abhishekdadarwal2009 on 09 Mar 2017, 09:18.
Last edited by abhishekdadarwal2009 on 09 Mar 2017, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 09:38
Is it really 600-700 level? Looks like sub-600
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 02:51
Here is another possible reason as why C is wrong.In C it says that " grizzly bears are portrayed in books about the Canadian wilderness as savage animals"
So in C it looks like the boo is talking about all the canadian wilderness which are only savage animals.But the book is about canadian wilderness only.

I could be wrong but I think this is the reason that C slightly changes the meaning.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 08:13
Top Contributor
We will get the correct perspective if we decide what or which is doing the act of roaring ferociously. If we attribute the adverbial modifier 'roaring' to the "books" and their portrayal, then the meaning is woefully absurd as in A , B ,D and E. One can't expect books portrayal to be roaring.
Whereas, in C, the act of roaring is being portrayed as done by the bears. That is why C is distinctly superior to all the others.
What still spoils the show even in C is the clumsy manner of writing one part in passive voice and the other in active voice.

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 11:30
Replying to a request from AR15J:

First, this is not one of ours! Manhattan Review is a different company, so I don't want to take credit for this one. ;)

I see two flaws in this question:

*The use of "even though" at the beginning isn't the best. We're saying that even though books portray them this way, grizzlies are still able to be sociable. This implies that grizzlies somehow manage to be sociable despite their portrayal in the media. We'd be better off with a more neutral contrast word, such as "while" or "although."

*Answer A shouldn't have a comma before "roaring." It's clearly meant to modify "bears," not the preceding clause/action, and we generally omit the comma for noun modifiers in -ing form unless we need to add a comma for clarity.

Disregarding those flaws, A is the best choice we have for the following reasons:

*There's nothing wrong with the use of "they" in A. Although it's true that when in doubt we assume that a pronoun refers back to the subject of the clause, there's no doubt here. No reasonable reader is going to be confused about whether books or bears are playful and sociable. This is definitely a non-issue.

*The use of the redundant "peak tops" in C is enough to make it wrong.

*The rearrangement in C is not really helpful. We don't need to make bears the subject, and to accomplish this, we've had to move the modifiers in a way that impedes the flow of ideas. The modifier "as savage animals" has been separated from the verb "portray" by two prepositional phrases. This isn't so much wrong as annoying and unnecessary. There may be sentences where that form is needed, but we don't need it here.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 23:34
DmitryFarber wrote:
Replying to a request from AR15J:

First, this is not one of ours! Manhattan Review is a different company, so I don't want to take credit for this one. ;)

I see two flaws in this question:

*The use of "even though" at the beginning isn't the best. We're saying that even though books portray them this way, grizzlies are still able to be sociable. This implies that grizzlies somehow manage to be sociable despite their portrayal in the media. We'd be better off with a more neutral contrast word, such as "while" or "although."

*Answer A shouldn't have a comma before "roaring." It's clearly meant to modify "bears," not the preceding clause/action, and we generally omit the comma for noun modifiers in -ing form unless we need to add a comma for clarity.

Disregarding those flaws, A is the best choice we have for the following reasons:

*There's nothing wrong with the use of "they" in A. Although it's true that when in doubt we assume that a pronoun refers back to the subject of the clause, there's no doubt here. No reasonable reader is going to be confused about whether books or bears are playful and sociable. This is definitely a non-issue.

*The use of the redundant "peak tops" in C is enough to make it wrong.

*The rearrangement in C is not really helpful. We don't need to make bears the subject, and to accomplish this, we've had to move the modifiers in a way that impedes the flow of ideas. The modifier "as savage animals" has been separated from the verb "portray" by two prepositional phrases. This isn't so much wrong as annoying and unnecessary. There may be sentences where that form is needed, but we don't need it here.

Thanks a lot DmitryFarber. :-D
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 21:59
I am not able to find any fault in option E. Experts please help.
Director
Director
G
Schools: Cambridge'16

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 02:20
raoshahb wrote:
I am not able to find any fault in option E. Experts please help.

"portray X as Y" is a correct idiom
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 03:26
ssr300 wrote:

Source Manhattan Review
Please kindly breakdown. Doesnt the ing modify the entire previous clause as well and not the immediate preceding subject?

Agree that "A" is fine, but could not understand what is wrong with "C".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even though books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2017, 03:26

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Even though books about the Canadian wilderness portray grizzly bears

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap