GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 06:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Even though the renowned author wrote several long works of fiction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
D
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Consulting (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Even though the renowned author wrote several long works of fiction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 23:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (00:42) correct 47% (00:52) wrong based on 188 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though the renowned author wrote several long works of fiction, his collection of short stories, written from a hospital bed and extending over a mere six pages each, brought him the greatest acclaim.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) is extending
(E) were extending

There is perfect timing for
everything and everyone.
Never doubt, But Work on
improving yourself,
Keep the faith and
Stay ready. When it’s
finally your turn,
It will all make sense.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Even though the renowned author wrote several long works of fiction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 04:09
A looks to be right for me. His short stories Extending over 6 pages got him blah blah blah
Intern
Intern
B
Even though the renowned author wrote several long works of fiction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 04:38
His collection of short stories, extending or that extends over a mere six pages each....

A is correct
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Even though the renowned author wrote several long works of fiction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 07:43
ANS:- A
Written from a hospital bed and extending over a mere six pages each :- both are modifying short stories. Structure is also parallel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 05:20
Hey,
Someone can please explain what is wrong with option C.
As I am thinking it is making parallelism.
As for option A ,I am not finding comma before extending which modify previous clause.
Response will much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.27
WE: Operations (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 05:27
JiddiHuMain wrote:
Hey,
Someone can please explain what is wrong with option C.
As I am thinking it is making parallelism.
As for option A ,I am not finding comma before extending which modify previous clause.
Response will much appreciated.

This question is on the same lines as the one below:

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

A. extending
B. extends
C. extended
D. it extended
E. is extending

Correct Option: A

Explanation below:

So, what is happening in this sentence? “Extended” fits as simple past tense verb and looks parallel to “spawned”. Then how can “extended” be incorrect? Well, the answer is that Verb-ed forms can be used in two ways –One as verb in simple past tense and the other as modifier (also called Verb-ed modifiers) and in this case it is used as the latter (explained later). In essence, the same word, for example extended, can assume the role of a verb in simple past form or that of a modifier. The challenge in the question is to determine whether “spawned” and extended” are verb-ed modifiers or just the verbs and then decide in what form should “extended” be used.

Detailed explanation in the link https://gmatclub.com/forum/ed-forms-ver ... 34691.html

Please read the entire article to understand the role of extending in those two questions.

Please press kudos if you find it helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even though the renowned author wrote several long works of fiction   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2019, 05:27

Even though the renowned author wrote several long works of fiction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics