It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 00:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:41) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted
(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received
(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution
(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution
(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted
SVP
SVP
Re: sc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 02:43
E. Present perfect tenst followed by present tense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 06:44
Hi guys,

IMO E but I'm between D and E

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted wordy
(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received is to be adandomed... wordy
(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution past perfect refering a future moment of present perfect
(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution it could be, my main reason to discard it is because of the river and its heavy pollution
(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted Hold

OA?

@ scthakur: D is also Present perfect, why not D?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 11:31
If we carefully analyse D it has a classic mistake MEANING

Had to be abandoned because its a river and had to be abandoned because of its pollution

Clearly E is the best answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 15:13
lylya4 wrote:
scthakur wrote:
E. Present perfect tenst followed by present tense.

why not A?

yea actually, I dont see anything wrong with A either.

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 15:16
I go with E
I highlighted two parts of each answer choice to make a point - one italic, one bold.
stallone wrote:
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted - "will have to" does not make sense in the context of a sentence - we need "have to"; bold highlight is an awkward phrase - more active phrase is need- "because the river has become" is much better.
(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received - as above
(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution - wrong tenses in each case
(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution - horrendous phrase!
(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted - doesn't have the mistakes of the above choices!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 15:21
OA is E but any strong reasons of dropping A ?

i dnt think A is wrong in meaning and neither the "will have" distort the meaning of the sentence ?
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 15:30
stallone wrote:
OA is E but any strong reasons of dropping A ?

i dnt think A is wrong in meaning and neither the "will have" distort the meaning of the sentence ?

Yes. "Will have to" is ambiguous. Also, given a choice, GMAT strongly prefers active sentences/phrases. "E" corrects both pitfalls of A.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2008, 00:40
E has the same meaning as A, but states it in a more succinct manner (i.e. not unnecessarily wordy). All of those "ing" words, the long verb construction (will have to be ____), and the phrase "as a result of" (can be replaced by one word - "because") should raise a big red flag that they are looking for an answer choice that states things more directly. A is not grammatically incorrect (as far as I can tell), E just gets to the point without beating around the bush (and is also grammatically correct). If you have that MGMAT SC book, check out the first chapter where they're talking about Correctness, Concision, and Clarity. Concision is the main focus of this question, IMO.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2008, 22:48
This question uses a fairly sophisticated grammatical rule. Several of the wrong answers are easy to eliminate: C has the wrong tense; B uses "on account of", which is an informal substitute for "because" that the GMAT does not tolerate; and D changes the meaning, as hibloom says. That leaves A, which doesn't seem to have a clear and present error. It has various weaknesses, such as the unnecessary wordiness which Jorge points out, but we would like something less vague.

In fact, it does have one specific error: "Becoming" is a gerund (an "-ing" phrase playing the role of a noun), but "river" is not a possessive. The rule in formal English, unknown to most English speakers, is that if a gerund has a "subject", that word must be in the possessive. So for example, it is correct to write: "John's earning an MBA changed his life", but not "John earning an MBA changed his life". In this case, the phrase would have to be "as a result of the river's becoming so heavily polluted".

This is some rather obscure grammatical stuff.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2008, 18:14
Somehow selected D :oops:

E makes sense
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2008, 13:31
grumpyoldman wrote:
This question uses a fairly sophisticated grammatical rule. Several of the wrong answers are easy to eliminate: C has the wrong tense; B uses "on account of", which is an informal substitute for "because" that the GMAT does not tolerate; and D changes the meaning, as hibloom says. That leaves A, which doesn't seem to have a clear and present error. It has various weaknesses, such as the unnecessary wordiness which Jorge points out, but we would like something less vague.

In fact, it does have one specific error: "Becoming" is a gerund (an "-ing" phrase playing the role of a noun), but "river" is not a possessive. The rule in formal English, unknown to most English speakers, is that if a gerund has a "subject", that word must be in the possessive. So for example, it is correct to write: "John's earning an MBA changed his life", but not "John earning an MBA changed his life". In this case, the phrase would have to be "as a result of the river's becoming so heavily polluted".

This is some rather obscure grammatical stuff.

Thanks. Nice tip :-D
Re: sc   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2008, 13:31

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap