Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [39]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [8]
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [7]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
How about this?

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted
>> Awkward. "river becoming so heavily polluted" sounds awkward.

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received
>> Awkward, "river received pollution" sounds weird.

(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution
>> Tense problem.

(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution
>> Sounds as if project should be abandoned because of river itself & the pollution.

(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted
>> Good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-18-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars pl [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi All,

OA is E. Please refer this post.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/vie ... &view=next

Regards,
Brindha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Re: USE of SO [#permalink]
Kudos
This is a question that tests:
(1) Differences between object and issue.
(2) Tense. ("Even though the state has spend", present perfect tense thus needed.)

Actually, the context is saying that the project needs suspension, because of a certain reason. Move on.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted
Wrong.
(1) "the river becoming so heavily polluted" is an issue. Correct.
(2) "becoming" is present progressive tense, wrong.

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution (which the river received)
Wrong.
"the heavy pollution which..." is an object, not an issue, and therefore cannot become a reason.

(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution
Wrong.
Here past perfect tense is used.

(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution
Wrong.
Two object emerged ( "the river", "its heavy pollution"), but there is no issue. Cross it out.
Note that this skill of segmentation is heavily used in a certain options.

(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted
Correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted -- 'As a result of' is a synonym of' 'due to', which cannot follow a verbed action.

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river receive --- 'pollution the river received' is awkward

(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution -- tense problem; the river receiving pollution is awkward; In addition, pollution is a perpetual affair; we cannot limit to the past or past perfect tense.
(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution -- The abandonment is not because of the river but because of the pollution.

(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted-- ' must be' is more formal and preferred usage in written English.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars pl [#permalink]
Kudos
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain why option A is incorrect? Other than being wordy, is there any other reason why option A is incorrect. The only reason why I eliminated the correct answer (E) was because I felt like "Must be abandoned" was a bit too strong compared to "will have to be abandoned" in option A. Could you one of you guys please help me clarify this doubt? Would greatly appreciate it!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [4]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM