GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars pl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Nov 2018, 05:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:13) correct 30% (01:10) wrong based on 507 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received

(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution

(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution

(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted

Originally posted by saurya_s on 19 Apr 2005, 03:48.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Nov 2018, 05:39, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 04:49
(E) for me.

in A "as a result of the river" is not correct should be "as a result of the pollution"
in B I think "the river received" is wrong tense, and there should be "that" instead of "which"
in C "had" is wrong (it could have been correct if the first clause had been "the state spent")
in D because of "the river", dont think the river can be cause of anything.

In E "has become" means that it was polluted and it is still polluted, so In my opinion is right.
VP
VP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2006, 11:50
How about this?

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted
>> Awkward. "river becoming so heavily polluted" sounds awkward.

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received
>> Awkward, "river received pollution" sounds weird.

>> Tense problem.

>> Sounds as if project should be abandoned because of river itself & the pollution.

>> Good.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-18-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars pl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2013, 01:24
Hi All,

OA is E. Please refer this post.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/vie ... &view=next

Regards,
Brindha
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Re: USE of SO  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 19:18
This is a question that tests:
(1) Differences between object and issue.
(2) Tense. ("Even though the state has spend", present perfect tense thus needed.)

Actually, the context is saying that the project needs suspension, because of a certain reason. Move on.

Wrong.
(1) "the river becoming so heavily polluted" is an issue. Correct.
(2) "becoming" is present progressive tense, wrong.

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution (which the river received)
Wrong.
"the heavy pollution which..." is an object, not an issue, and therefore cannot become a reason.

Wrong.
Here past perfect tense is used.

Wrong.
Two object emerged ( "the river", "its heavy pollution"), but there is no issue. Cross it out.
Note that this skill of segmentation is heavily used in a certain options.

Correct.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 11:25
Top Contributor
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted -- 'As a result of' is a synonym of' 'due to', which cannot follow a verbed action.

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river receive --- 'pollution the river received' is awkward

(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution -- tense problem; the river receiving pollution is awkward; In addition, pollution is a perpetual affair; we cannot limit to the past or past perfect tense.
(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution -- The abandonment is not because of the river but because of the pollution.

(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted-- ' must be' is more formal and preferred usage in written English.
Senior Manager
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 08:42
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain why option A is incorrect? Other than being wordy, is there any other reason why option A is incorrect. The only reason why I eliminated the correct answer (E) was because I felt like "Must be abandoned" was a bit too strong compared to "will have to be abandoned" in option A. Could you one of you guys please help me clarify this doubt? Would greatly appreciate it!
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 16:38
csaluja wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain why option A is incorrect? Other than being wordy, is there any other reason why option A is incorrect. The only reason why I eliminated the correct answer (E) was because I felt like "Must be abandoned" was a bit too strong compared to "will have to be abandoned" in option A. Could you one of you guys please help me clarify this doubt? Would greatly appreciate it!

Hello csaluja,

Although your doubt is not directed to me, I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

You are correct in saying that will have to be abandoned is not the reason for Choice A to be incorrect.

Choice A is incorrect because it says that the projects will have to abandoned because of the river.

Please note that the phrase becoming so heavily polluted has been used as a modifier for the river. As a modifier, this phrase just presents extra information about the river.

The phrase fails to convey that the project will have to abandoned because the river has become heavily polluted.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 18:10
csaluja wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Dear csaluja,

I see that Shraddha at eGMAT responded, and I will add a few more thoughts. :-)

You are correct that (E) is strong and direct and confident in its phrasing and that's a GOOD thing! First of all, think about advertising and other business talk. Imagine the person whose sale pitch is, "Gee, maybe my product might make some kind of difference in your marketing." That lily-livered disaster will put that salesperson out of business! By contrast, consider the person who says, "I know that my product will shoot your sales numbers through the ceiling! You will have so many new sales that you won't know what to do with them!" That's a much more powerful and confident sales approach. Even if the two products of these two salespeople are more or less the same, the latter will wildly outsell the former because of the power of his message. It's that way in all of business: if you can't speak with conviction about what you are doing, then this situation begs the question why you are doing it at all!

Also, think about the real live situation of this SC question in the real world. Even though the "Ubi River," and hence the entire location, is fictional, GMAT Verbal problems always have the "feel" of something that would happen in the real world. In this river, the state was planning a reservoir, but now the river is "so heavily polluted." Do you want to drink this water? Would you want your family to drink this water? Would you want anyone's family to drink this water? Of course not! Since it's clear that this is not going to become a reservoir, is there any reason to sink a few million more dollars into it? Do you want to pay for that? Again, of course not! This sentence properly needs to be phrased with words that have the same ring of certainty and conviction that the phrase "of course not!" has.

Here's (A):
That has the urgency of a cold bowl of oatmeal. It's pathetically weak and spineless. The phrasing employs the passive voice for the main verb of the sentence. I would say the "becoming" is a gerund: it's position as a cause is casual and questionable, but certainly the sentence would have more punch if there were another verb rather than a verb form. This is a wordy flaccid disaster.

Compare (E):
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted.
Two strong verbs: "must be abandoned" (passive but emphatic) and "has become." This version crackles with decisiveness. Yes! This really is a problem! We really need to do something about it! This sentence has the feel of urgency and significance appropriate to the situation.

My friend, if you interpret GMAT SC only at the level of what's happening with the grammar, you will miss more than half of what is going on. On the harder question, the GMAT loves to have incorrect answer choices that are 100% grammatically correct but wrong for other reasons. On a well-written GMAT SC sentence, grammar and logic and rhetoric all work together to support a single meaning. Here, the strong clear direct language in (E) is a wonderful example of the rhetoric supporting the meaning.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 09:51
choice b is wrong because
pollution the river received
is wrong. the reason is river has become pollutted. the reason is not pollution
the second error is
river received
is wrong. present perfect is correct. simple past is wrong because received can not fit with "has spent".
Non-Human User
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 04:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2019, 04:41

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars pl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics