Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [160]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [51]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [41]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Booth '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32
Send PM
Re: Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, asid [#permalink]
Kudos
Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, aside from Pterocom, were a sigificant difference from the usual amounts given by large companies for major international disasters.

a) aside from Pterocom, were a significant difference from the usual amounts
b) Pterocom's expected, were a substantial departure from the usual amount of those
c) Pterocom expected, broke the usual mold of those
d) notwithstanding Pterocom, veered much from the usual levels
e) apart from Pterocom's, departed signficantly from the usual amounts

Please help explain the logic behind OA

Here we have corporate contributions....therefore we need to use ptercom's...thus we are down to B and E..B sounds wordy...that's why E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, asid [#permalink]
Kudos
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
lucbesson wrote:
Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, aside from Pterocom, were a sigificant difference from the usual amounts given by large companies for major international disasters.

b) Pterocom's expected, were a substantial departure from the usual amount of those

Structure-

"few of the contributions", "aside from Pterocom"

Thanks

Sentence compares Contributions to Pterocom

Wrong comparison!

All options except E can be eliminate for this reason.

"Contributions were a difference" is wrong. Contributions were not a difference on their own.

"expected" is a verb.
for example-
No one expected him to be late.
They expected results.

Here it's seems to have been used as a noun. Comparison between "contributions" and "expected" is nonsensical. Also, "Pterocom's expected" is ungrammatical.

"those" seems to refer to "contributions". Amount of contributions- redundant

Here "expected" is used as a verb.

"noun" can't be compared with a clause. Also, expected doesn't make any sense in the context.

"notwithstanding" means "regardless of".

"Contributions regardless of Ptrerocom" is imprecise.

Contributions - apart from - Pterrocom's (contributions)

Correct!!!

Hope it helps!

Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal

Thank you Dolly. However, I believe the original poster had a typo in the options. B and C are actually "excepted" rather than "expected". Expected as you said does not make sense.

I'm still having trouble understanding why "amount of contributions" is redundant. Why is it an incorrect usage?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [8]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
lamania wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
lucbesson wrote:

Thank you Dolly. However, I believe the original poster had a typo in the options. B and C are actually "excepted" rather than "expected". Expected as you said does not make sense.

I'm still having trouble understanding why "amount of contributions" is redundant. Why is it an incorrect usage?

"amount of contribution" is not redundant in general however "contributions" is unnecessary in the context.

Consider the predication...

B- Few of the contributions were a substantial departure from the usual amount of those (contributions) given by...

usual amounts given by large companies- Correct
usual amounts contributed by large companies- Correct
usual amounts of contribution contributed by large companies- Incorrect

Also, this option has bigger issues. It implies that "contributions" were a "departure". Contributions themselves can't be a "departure".

Example-
Donations were a change / Contributions were a departure- Incorrect
Donations changed... / Contribution departed... from the usual amount- Correct

Hope it helps!

Dolly Sharma
Verbal Instructor
CrackVerbal
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [15]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, aside from Pterocom, were a significant difference from the usual amounts given by large companies for major international disasters.

Few of corporate contributions -> Few/Many/ some will take subject in the preposition clause.

For example : Few of trains were running late. You can also visualize as that "few of trains" will be more than 1 train.

e) apart from Pterocom's, departed significantly from the usual amounts

Comparing corporation contributions to P's contribution. So we require a possessive or contributions of P.

Hence A/C and D are out.

those given by large corporations -> what is those ?
E) is concise and correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [3]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

(A) aside from Pterocom, were a significant difference from the usual amounts
(B) Pterocom's excepted, were a substantial departure from the usual amount of those
(C) Pterocom excepted, broke the usual mold of those
(D) notwithstanding Pterocom, veered much from the usual levels
(E) apart from Pterocom's, departed significantly from the usual amounts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [4]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(B) is incorrect because of its incorrect comparison.

(B) compares "few of the corporate contributions" to "the usual amount of [contributions]". It compares contributions to an amount of contributions.
To help illustrate, all of the following are incorrect comparisons:
The contributions differed from the usual amount of contributions.
The contributions differed from the usual sum of contributions.
The contributions differed from the usual number of contributions.

The following are correct comparisons:
The amount of contributions differed from the usual amount of contributions.
The sum of contributions differed from the usual sum of contributions.
The number of contributions differed from the usual number of contributions.
The contributions differed from the usual contributions.

Also, note that "contributions" and "amounts given" are synonyms, but that "contributions" and "amount of contributions" are not. Thus, the comparison of "contributions" to "amounts given" is accurate.
Definitions of contribution:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... ntribution
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... ntribution
Definitions of amount:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/amount
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... ish/amount
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
GMATNinja Please help me understand what is wrong with (B). I am not able to understand it from any of the posts here!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, asid [#permalink]
Kudos
Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, aside from Pterocom, were a significant difference from the usual amounts given by large companies for major international disasters.

aside from Pterocom, were a significant difference from the usual amounts

you are comparing contributions to a company? That comparison is not homogeneous.

Pterocom’s excepted, were a substantial departure from the usual amount of those

You cannot say "Pterocom's excepted". You could probably say "except Pterocom's". More detailed analysis on B and C in other answers.

Pterocom excepted, broke the usual mold of those

Same as B

notwithstanding Pterocom, veered much from the usual levels

Here I am going to assume that you do not know what "notwithstanding" means. Like in A, you are comparing contributions to a company; this comparison is NOT homogeneous.

apart from Pterocom’s, departed significantly from the usual amounts

Nice, now we are comparing contributions to a companies contributions.
Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, apart from Pterocom’s [contributions].

Originally posted by hassan233 on 26 Jun 2021, 15:27.
Last edited by hassan233 on 26 Jun 2021, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
hassan233 wrote:

aside from Pterocom, were a significant difference from the usual amounts

you are comparing contributions to a company? That comparison is not homogeneous.

Pterocom’s excepted, were a substantial departure from the usual amount of those

You cannot say "Pterocom's excepted". You could probably say "except Pterocom". More detailed analysis on B and C in other answers.

Pterocom excepted, broke the usual mold of those

Same as B

notwithstanding Pterocom, veered much from the usual levels

Here I am going to assume that you do not know what "notwithstanding" means. Like in A, you are comparing contributions to a company; this comparison is NOT homogeneous.

apart from Pterocom’s, departed significantly from the usual amounts

Nice, now we are comparing contributions to a companies contributions.
Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, apart from Pterocom’s [contributions].

hassan233
We cannot say "except Pterocom" because that would be a comparison between funds and Pterocom. But what is the issue with "Pterocom's excepted"?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, asid [#permalink]
generis AjiteshArun IanStewart - it was between B vs E for me. I eliminated E because of the active voice verb [departed specifically ]

E) Few contributions departed.......

implies as if the contributions got up themselves and performed the verb (in the past tense) themselves.

Rememeber we have to take what the GMAT gives us 'literally' in terms of meaning - i have certainly seen that as a elimination strategy for SC

Thus i thought E can be knocked out because of the usage of the active voice verb (Departed) with the subject [Contributions]

Contributions cannot perform the verb by itself.

Thoughts ?

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 19 Jan 2022, 16:23.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 19 Jan 2022, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi GMATGuruNY - If I replace the word "Amount" in option B and option E with 100 $

Quote:

(B) Pterocom's excepted, were a substantial departure from the usual 100$ of those
(E) apart from Pterocom's, departed significantly from the usual 100$

Then i think the reason to knock out B is because of of those is giving the impression that within 100 $ -- there is subgroup modifier almost

Within the 100$ - of those implies there are 2 sub-groups
(a) of those given by large companies
(b) of those given by small companies

Fair ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:

b) Pterocom's excepted, were a substantial departure from the usual amount of those
c) Pterocom excepted, broke the usual mold of those

A: Few of the corporate contributions, aside from Pterocom
C: Few of the corporate contributions, Pterocom excepted
D: Few of the corporate contributions, notwithstanding Pterocom
In these options, contributions are illogically compared to a CORPORATION (Pterocom).
Eliminate A, C and D.

B: those given by large corporations
Here, the referent for those seems to be contributions, implying the following:
contributions given by large companies.
A contribution = SOMETHING GIVEN.
It is redundant to say that SOMETHING GIVEN was GIVEN by large companies.
Eliminate B.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 1250
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
MDK wrote:

(A) aside from Pterocom, were a significant difference from the usual amounts
(B) Pterocom's excepted, were a substantial departure from the usual amount of those
(C) Pterocom excepted, broke the usual mold of those
(D) notwithstanding Pterocom, veered much from the usual levels
(E) apart from Pterocom's, departed significantly from the usual amounts

Hi experts AndrewN avigutman IanStewart GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo

Though this question is labeled with a "low" difficulty level at the forum, it gave me a hard time in my practice exam since I thought that no option could be correct. I have checked all posts in this thread, but I still do not understand why the option (E) is correct. Could you share some of your thoughts when you have time please? :)

The original sentence reads:

The author tries to compare several donations--the donations to the earthquake fund, the donations from P company, and other donations for major disasters. So, we can eliminate the options (A), (C) and (D) since they compare donations with the P company itself.

But I am confused how to choose between options (B) and (E).

(B): Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, Pterocom's excepted, were a substantial departure from the usual amount of those given by large companies for major international disasters.

(E): Few of the corporate contributions to the earthquake relief fund, apart from Pterocom's, departed significantly from the usual amounts given by large companies for major international disasters.

1. Contribution vs amounts?

No option seemed correct to me in the practice exam because I found it strange to compare the contributions to the amount. I thought that we can compare "contributions" to "contributions", or "amount" to "amount." But comparing "contributions" to "amount"? It does not seem to be the right comparison preferred by GMAT. So I was puzzled when I found out that (B) and (E) both compare the two words.

The word "those" in (B) is not my concern, since I think it could only refer to the plural noun "contributions."
Hence, the split between (B) and (E) is:

(B): contributions...departure from the usual amount of those ("contributions") given by large companies...
(E): contributions...departed significantly from the usual amounts given by large companies.....

Some members said that "contribution" could mean "amount," so it is acceptable to compare the two words directly. Is this claim correct? In my opinion, it is not weird to say "he makes a contribution of one million US dollar to the agency," but it is also okay to say "the amount of his contribution totals $1 million." Is the "amount of contribution" redundant? If it is, we can get rid of (B), but I hope to confirm your opinions on this issue. I could not find adequate information from dictionaries.

2. "amount given by"?

Even if the word "contribution" can mean "amount," I still have doubt for (E) for the phrasing "amounts given by large companies." We might say "money/donations given by companies," but we do not really say "amounts given by companies," do we? This phrasing does not seem acceptable in GMAT's SC world, which focuses much on the literal meaning of words, but (E) is the correct answer. I am not saying that (E) should not be the correct answer, but I hope to know why this phrasing is viable.

3. Is "contributions given by" redundant?

An expert said that (B) is incorrect because the word "contribution" means "something given," so (B) has redundancy issue--it is redundant to say that SOMETHING GIVEN was GIVEN by large companies. But, I am not sure about this opinion, because we say "make a contribution to (something)," do not we? It seems okay to use a verb before the word "contribution." So I personally think that (B)'s "those (contributions) given by companies" is fine.

The two options have other splits, such as "excepted" vs "apart from," as well as "departure" vs "depart." But because I cannot determine which is better, I choose not to discuss them in this post. If experts you have some insights to these splits, I would also be happy to know. :)

Appreciate your time and thoughts.
Thank you for helping me learn.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [4]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos