Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 14:31 It is currently 13 May 2024, 14:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623490 [7]
Given Kudos: 81851
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16678 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 678
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Find the number of ways in which 5 boys and 5 girls may be seated in a [#permalink]
Kudos
gaiknil wrote:
Hea234ven wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Find the number of ways in which 5 boys and 5 girls may be seated in a row so that no two girls are together.

A. 120
B. 240
C. 2,888
D. 14,400
E. 28,800

I don't understand one thing. In the answer explanations, all the people assume that either first position was held by male
or by female, then female then male and then female in this way...But What will happen if two boys seat in consecutive position but no two girls seat together? The question did not mention that two boys cannot sit together. If we assume that two boys can also sit together in any place of the row, then won't the answer be changed? Pls someone explain where i was wrong.

If that happens, two girls have to sit together: BBGBGBGBGG

But...
Gbgbgbbgbg

Gbbgbgbgbg

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4122 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Find the number of ways in which 5 boys and 5 girls may be seated in a [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Find the number of ways in which 5 boys and 5 girls may be seated in a row so that no two girls are together.

A. 120
B. 240
C. 2,888
D. 14,440
E. 28,880

IMO D
Boys 5! and girl 5!
120*120 = 14440
alternative sitting boys & girls = 14440*2 ; 28880 IMO E

Originally posted by Archit3110 on 30 Jan 2019, 02:40.
Last edited by Archit3110 on 31 Jan 2019, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 678
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. 120
B. 240
C. 2,888
D. 14,400
E. 28,800

I don't understand one thing. In the answer explanations, all the people assume that either first position was held by male
or by female, then female then male and then female in this way...But What will happen if two boys seat in consecutive position but no two girls seat together? The question did not mention that two boys cannot sit together. If we assume that two boys can also sit together in any place of the row, then won't the answer be changed? Pls someone explain where i was wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hea234ven wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 120
B. 240
C. 2,888
D. 14,400
E. 28,800

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4949 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

A. 120
B. 240
C. 2,888
D. 14,400
E. 28,800

If we take a boy then for next sit will take a girl (as the condition says)

B X G X B X G X B X G X B X G X B X G
5 x 5 x 4 x 4 x 3 x 3 x 2 x 2 x 1 x 1 = 14400 (When starting form Boy first)

G X B X G X B X G X B X G X B X G X B
5 x 5 x 4 x 4 x 3 x 3 x 2 x 2 x 1 x 1 = 14400 (When starting form GRIL first)

TOTAL 28,800 WAYS
ANS. E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4949 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
gaiknil wrote:
Hea234ven wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 120
B. 240
C. 2,888
D. 14,400
E. 28,800

NO, NOT REALLY.
ONE OPTION CAN BE STARTING FROM GIRL FRIST GBGBGBGBGB
OTHER OPTION STARTING BY BOY FIRST BGBGBGBGBG

EITHER GIRL OR BOY IS NOT SEATING SIDE BY SIDE.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
i had an issue with this question too....

Problem Type 1: if the question had said NO 2 BOYS --- AND ---- NO 2 GIRLS can sit together, then I agree, you have 2 Scenarios:

Scenario 1: Boys Fill the ODD Seats [1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 9] and Girls fill the EVEN Seats

OR

Scenario 2: Boys Fill the EVEN Seats [2 - 4 - 6 - 8 - 10] and Girls fill the ODD Seats

for each Scenario, we can arrange the Boys in 5! ways and Arrange the Girls in 5! ways

2 * 5! * 5! = 28, 800 ---- Answer E

Problem Type 2 --- THIS QUESTION: It does NOT Say that the Boys must be separated. Boys are allowed to sit together. This is the way I answered this question:

1st) Sit the Boys 1st. We can Arrange the 5 Boys in 5! Ways.

2nd)Seat the 5 Boys with "GAPS" around Each Seat

___ A___B___C___D___E___

Now, based on the constraints in this Q-Stem, in order to sit the Girls such that NO 2 Girls are next to each other:

1st) We must Choose 5 out of the 6 Available "GAPS" in and around the Boys such that NO 2 Girls sit together

"6 Choose 5" = 6 Ways

1 Example Arrangement is the following:

if the Girls are: 1 --- 2 --- 3 --- 4 --- 5
the Boys are: A --- B --- C --- D ---- E

One possibility is:

1 - A - B - 2 - C - 3 - D - 4 - E - 5

or

g - B - B - g - B - g - B - g - B - g

This is why we must FIRST Choose the 5 Places where we are going to sit the Girls out of the 6 "GAPS" in and around the 5 Seated Boys

Again ---- "6 Choose 5" = 6 Ways to Choose

AND

2nd) Once we have the 5 Placements for the Girls, we can Arrange the Girls in 5! Ways.

Solution:

5! * "6 choose 5" * 5! = 5! * 6 * 5! = 120 * 720 = 86, 400 (assuming my math is correct)

The answer to this Question is assuming that the 5 Boys can NOT Sit together ALSO. However, the Q-Stem does NOT say this.

Any agreement? Am I wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I think the answer is wrong for this answer. Lets start with siting with boys only.

Boy can be sited in 5! ways. one boys got sit, now we have 6 places for the girls to sit. But since we have only 5 girls so we need to select 5 position out of 6. This can be done in 6C5 ways i.e. 6 ways.

So total ways is 6C5 * 5! * 5! = 6 * 5! * 5!.

People are talking about 2 arrangements is possible is only when asked to sit in alternate only.

_ B1_B2_B3_B4_B5_ (6 dash for girls to sit).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46 (Online)
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Fdambro294 wrote:
i had an issue with this question too....

Solution: 5! * "6 choose 5" * 5! = 5! * 6 * 5! = 120 * 720 = 86, 400 (assuming my math is correct)

The answer to this Question is assuming that the 5 Boys can NOT Sit together ALSO. However, the Q-Stem does NOT say this.

Fdambro294 You're right. People have been assuming that there are only two arrangements (BGBGBGBGBG OR GBGBGBGBGB). However, the question just says that the girls may not sit next to each other, and they're sitting in a row (if the question said circle, this wouldn't be the case). There are really SIX arrangements:
alternating:
1. BGBGBGBGBG (girls in even chairs)
2. GBGBGBGBGB (girls in odd chairs)
girls as first and last, two boys clumped in the middle:
3. GBGBGBG(BB)G
4. GBGBG(BB)GBG
5. GBG(BB)GBGBG
6. G(BB)GBGBGBG

You can look at these arrangements as GBGBGBGBG (9 people fixed) with 6 different spots where the last boy can sit -- first, last, or next to each of the other 4 boys.

Therefore, 6 ways to choose B vs G seats, and 5! ways to order the boys and girls each, so the result is: 6*5!*5! = 86,400.
My student and I were unhappy with the official answer during tutoring.

Bunuel Please edit the OA to reflect the discrepancy, or fix the question to indicate that two boys also cannot sit next to each other.

Please DM for tutoring services. I have a 5-star rating on Varsity Tutors.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Problem Solving (PS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93243 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3136 posts