Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16843 [70]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16843 [15]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [8]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: For any integer n greater than 1, factorial denotes the product of all [#permalink]
Kudos
From what I understood, the question asks us what the value of "A" is

#1 we are asked about how many 3's are there in 20! if we factor it: we can answer that question easily
1 * 2 * 3(1) * 4 * 5 * 6(1) *7 * 8 * 9(2)*10*11*12(1)*...*15(1)*...*18(2): 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 =2 =8, so a = 8 and so we can answer our question

sufficient

#2 - if I understood it right, b is n and n can be as big as one wishes it to be. In this case we don't have any idea about a except for the fact that its lower than b, but yet again, a can be anything in this case, thus our answer is unknown

insufficient

A that is
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Re: For any integer n greater than 1, factorial denotes the product of all [#permalink]
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Detailed Solution

Step-I: Given Info:

We are given two positive integers \(a\) and \(b\) such that \(b > a\). We are asked to find the total number of factors of the largest number which divides the factorials of both \(a\) and \(b\).

Step-II: Interpreting the Question Statement

Since factorial is the product of all integers from 1 to \(n\) inclusive:

i. factorial of \(b\) would consist of product of all the numbers from 1 to \(b\)
ii. factorial of \(a\) would consist of product of all the numbers from 1 to \(a\)

As \(b > a\), this would imply that factorial of \(b\) would consist of all the numbers present in factorial of \(a\). For example factorial of 30 would consist of all the numbers present in factorial of 20.
So, the largest number which divides the factorial of both \(b\) and \(a\), i.e. the GCD of factorial of \(b\) and \(a\) would be the factorial of \(a\) itself. So, if we can calculate the value of \(a\), we would get to our answer.

Step-III: Statement-I

Statement-I tells us that \(a\) is the greatest integer for which \(3^a\) is a factor of factorial of 20. Since we can calculate the number of times 3 comes as a factor of numbers between 1 to 20, we can find the value of \(a\).

Thus Statement-I is sufficient to answer the question.

Please note that we do not need to actually calculate the value of \(a\). Just the knowledge, that we can calculate the unique value of \(a\) is sufficient for us to get to our answer.

Step-IV: Statement-II

Statement-II tells us that \(b\) is the largest possible number that divides \(n\), where \(n^3\) is divisible by 96.
Note here that the statement talks only about \(b\) and nothing about \(a\). Since, we do not have any relation between \(b\) and \(a\) which would give us the value of \(a\), if we find \(b\), we can say with certainty that this statement is insufficient to answer the question.

Again, note here that we did not solve the statement as we could infer that it’s not going to give us the value of \(a\), which is our requirement.

Step-V: Combining Statements I & II

Since, we have received our unique answer from Statement-I, we don’t need to combine the inferences from Statement-I & II.
Hence, the correct answer is Option A

Key Takeaways

1. Familiarize yourself with all the names by which the test makers can call the GCD and the LCM.

For example,
• GCD is also known as the HCF
• GCD can also be described as ‘the largest number which divides all the numbers of a set’
• LCM of a set of numbers can also be described as ‘the lowest number that has all the numbers of that set as it factors’

2. Since factorial is product of a set of positive integers, the GCD of a set of factorials would always be the factorial of the smallest number in the set

Zhenek- Brilliant work!!, except that we did not need the calculation in St-I
Harley1980- Kudos for the right answer, two suggestions- calculation not needed in St-I and in St-II you calculated the least possible value of \(b\), which was again not needed as it did not tell us anything about \(a\).

Regards
Harsh

Great question only I misinterpreted 'largest'.

If 'largest' was not be mentioned in the question stem, E would be the correct choice ? Because we then had to know exact values of a and b.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
For any integer \(n\) greater than 1, factorial denotes the product of all the integers from 1 to \(n\), inclusive. It’s given that \(a\) and \(b\) are two positive integers such that \(b > a\). What is the total number of factors of the largest number that divides the factorials of both \(a\) and \(b\)?

(1) \(a\) is the greatest integer for which \(3^a\) is a factor of product of integers from 1 to 20, inclusive.

(2) \(b\) is the largest possible number that divides positive integer \(n\), where \(n^3\) is divisible by 96.

This is

Ques 5 of The E-GMAT Number Properties Knockout

Register for our Free Session on Number Properties (held every 3rd week) to solve exciting 700+ Level Questions in a classroom environment under the real-time guidance of our Experts :)

Statement 1:
20! / 3^a = integer ----------- > lets see how many 3s we have in 20! ---> you will see that we have 3s coming up 7 times.
Hence the largest value of 3^a that will completely divide 20! will be 3^7 ---- hence a = 7
Now if a = 7 and given that b > a ------------ what divides a! (i.e. 7!) will also divide b! since b > a ------------ CONCLUSIVE. SUFFICIENT

Statement 2:
If n^ 3 / 96 = integer ----- lets find factors of 96 === > we will get 96 = 2^5 x 3
Here n has to be at least 12 ---- but n can be greater than 12, multiple of 12 etc.
We do not have a conclusive value of n -----> and therefore we can not get a conclusive value of b
NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer – Option B
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92922 posts