GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     06:00 PM PST

     07:00 PM PST

    Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51263
For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2014, 07:25
1
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:09) correct 25% (01:28) wrong based on 385 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tough and Tricky questions: Coordinate Geometry.



For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defined to be the point whose x–coordinate is the average (arithmetic mean) of the x–coordinates of the vertices of T and whose y–coordinate is the average of the y–coordinates of the vertices of T. If a certain triangle has vertices at the points (0,0) and (6,0) and center at the point (3,2), what are the coordinates of the remaining vertex?

A. (3,4)
B. (3,6)
C. (4,9)
D. (6,4)
E. (9,6)

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2014
Posts: 125
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 08:34
3
1
Hi Bunuel,

Great question. The best mode of attack is to Dive In.

Let's start by labeling the three vertices of triangle T as a, b, and c. We know pt a is at (0,0), b is at (6,0), and c is unknown, (cx, cy).

The center, as defined in the problem, is the arithmetic mean of the x and y coordinates individually. Let's write that out as a formula, where the center of triangle T is labeled as pt m at (mx, my).

mx = (ax + bx + cx)/3
my = (ay + by + cy)/3

We know from the problem that pt m is at (3,2), so let's plug in first for the x-coordinate, cx:
3 = (0 + 6 + cx)/3
With some arithmetic, we can solve this to see that cx = 3.

Now, let's do the same for the y-coordinate, cy:
2 = (0 + 0 + cy)/3
So... cy = 6.

Putting these together, we now have that the coordinate of the missing vertex is at (cx, cy), or (3,6)... Answer Choice B.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 46
Schools: Smeal" 20
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 12:57
1
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Coordinate Geometry.



For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defined to be the point whose x–coordinate is the average (arithmetic mean) of the x–coordinates of the vertices of T and whose y–coordinate is the average of the y–coordinates of the vertices of T. If a certain triangle has vertices at the points (0,0) and (6,0) and center at the point (3,2), what are the coordinates of the remaining vertex?

A. (3,4)
B. (3,6)
C. (4,9)
D. (6,4)
E. (9,6)



Notice that (3,2) lies on one the median which divides the side connecting [0,0] & [6,0]....and it is give [3,2] is the centre...we know that centriod will divide the median in the ratio 2:1 .....the smaller part of the ratio is 2 here, so the bigger must be 4....and hence the point is [3,6]. Now add the x of all vertices and y of all vertices , find the averages and cross check.

Thus answer B [3,6].


------------
Please give kudos if this helps.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Posts: 63
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.33
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 06:42
Can I solve this way?

let the vertices be A, B, and C
A=(0,0), B=(6,0), and since the central is (3,2) then C=(3,n)

sum of x=0+6+3=9; avg=9/3=3
sum of y=0+0+n=; avg=n/3=2 (since the center is (3,2))
thus n=3*2=6

So the answer is (3,6) B
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 571
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 10:12
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Coordinate Geometry.



For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defined to be the point whose x–coordinate is the average (arithmetic mean) of the x–coordinates of the vertices of T and whose y–coordinate is the average of the y–coordinates of the vertices of T. If a certain triangle has vertices at the points (0,0) and (6,0) and center at the point (3,2), what are the coordinates of the remaining vertex?

A. (3,4)
B. (3,6)
C. (4,9)
D. (6,4)
E. (9,6)


Seems like a difficult question , but actually it can be solved in less than 30 seconds.
First plot all the given (X,Y) pair.
You will get the base of the triangle with length of 6 and mid point of triangle at 3,3
Now the vortex will be double at the Y coordinate of the midpoint
Double of 3= 6 (y=3)
Average of X is already 3
Therefore the X,Y pair will become 3,6
Answer is B
Image
_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Aug 2015
Posts: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 570 Q40 V28
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 13:10
1
LogicGuru1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Coordinate Geometry.



For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defined to be the point whose x–coordinate is the average (arithmetic mean) of the x–coordinates of the vertices of T and whose y–coordinate is the average of the y–coordinates of the vertices of T. If a certain triangle has vertices at the points (0,0) and (6,0) and center at the point (3,2), what are the coordinates of the remaining vertex?

A. (3,4)
B. (3,6)
C. (4,9)
D. (6,4)
E. (9,6)


Seems like a difficult question , but actually it can be solved in less than 30 seconds.
First plot all the given (X,Y) pair.
You will get the base of the triangle with length of 6 and mid point of triangle at 3,3
Now the vortex will be double at the Y coordinate of the midpoint
Double of 3= 6 (y=3)
Average of X is already 3
Therefore the X,Y pair will become 3,6
Answer is B
Image



The center is 3,2.

Actually the average is of 3 data points, that is why it is 6 because (0+0+y)/3=2 y=6.

X remains at 3 because
(0 + 6 + x) /3 = 3
6+x=9
x=3

At least it made sense to me this way.
_________________

Send some kudos this way if I was helpful! :)!

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 571
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 20:58
Ilomelin wrote:
LogicGuru1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Coordinate Geometry.



For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defined to be the point whose x–coordinate is the average (arithmetic mean) of the x–coordinates of the vertices of T and whose y–coordinate is the average of the y–coordinates of the vertices of T. If a certain triangle has vertices at the points (0,0) and (6,0) and center at the point (3,2), what are the coordinates of the remaining vertex?

A. (3,4)
B. (3,6)
C. (4,9)
D. (6,4)
E. (9,6)


Seems like a difficult question , but actually it can be solved in less than 30 seconds.
First plot all the given (X,Y) pair.
You will get the base of the triangle with length of 6 and mid point of triangle at 3,3
Now the vortex will be double at the Y coordinate of the midpoint
Double of 3= 6 (y=3)
Average of X is already 3
Therefore the X,Y pair will become 3,6
Answer is B
Image



The center is 3,2.

Actually the average is of 3 data points, that is why it is 6 because (0+0+y)/3=2 y=6.

X remains at 3 because
(0 + 6 + x) /3 = 3
6+x=9
x=3

At least it made sense to me this way.


Yup , you are right

Average should should be 0+3+6=9/3
= 3
Double of 3=6
so vortex will be (x,y)=(3,6)
_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Dec 2016
Posts: 93
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 17:06
I think its a very simple averages question. Median point (3,2) should be equal to {(x1+x2+x3)/3, (y1+y2+y3)/3}.
We have (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) as (0,0) and (6,0).
Thus, 3= (0+6+x3)/3 => x3 = 3
& 2= (0+0+y3)/3 => y3 = 6.
The point, therefore, is (3,6). Option B.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jun 2017
Posts: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 22:30
let the co-ordinates of the 3rd vertex be (x,y)

3 = \(\frac{(0+6+x)}{3}\)

x = 3

2 = \(\frac{(0+0+y)}{3}\)

y = 6

Hence the 3rd vertex is (3,6)
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1247
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 03:26
LighthousePrep wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Great question. The best mode of attack is to Dive In.

Let's start by labeling the three vertices of triangle T as a, b, and c. We know pt a is at (0,0), b is at (6,0), and c is unknown, (cx, cy).

The center, as defined in the problem, is the arithmetic mean of the x and y coordinates individually. Let's write that out as a formula, where the center of triangle T is labeled as pt m at (mx, my).

mx = (ax + bx + cx)/3
my = (ay + by + cy)/3

We know from the problem that pt m is at (3,2), so let's plug in first for the x-coordinate, cx:
3 = (0 + 6 + cx)/3
With some arithmetic, we can solve this to see that cx = 3.

Now, let's do the same for the y-coordinate, cy:
2 = (0 + 0 + cy)/3
So... cy = 6.

Putting these together, we now have that the coordinate of the missing vertex is at (cx, cy), or (3,6)... Answer Choice B.

Hope this helps!



niks18 can you pls explain based on what rule do we plug in coordinates of centroid into equation to find third vertex ? i cant undestand logic. We need the coordinates of the last vertex, but we are plugging in corrdinates of centroid :? thank you :-)
PS Forum Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 1217
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 00:56
1
dave13 wrote:
LighthousePrep wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Great question. The best mode of attack is to Dive In.

Let's start by labeling the three vertices of triangle T as a, b, and c. We know pt a is at (0,0), b is at (6,0), and c is unknown, (cx, cy).

The center, as defined in the problem, is the arithmetic mean of the x and y coordinates individually. Let's write that out as a formula, where the center of triangle T is labeled as pt m at (mx, my).

mx = (ax + bx + cx)/3
my = (ay + by + cy)/3

We know from the problem that pt m is at (3,2), so let's plug in first for the x-coordinate, cx:
3 = (0 + 6 + cx)/3
With some arithmetic, we can solve this to see that cx = 3.

Now, let's do the same for the y-coordinate, cy:
2 = (0 + 0 + cy)/3
So... cy = 6.

Putting these together, we now have that the coordinate of the missing vertex is at (cx, cy), or (3,6)... Answer Choice B.

Hope this helps!



niks18 can you pls explain based on what rule do we plug in coordinates of centroid into equation to find third vertex ? i cant undestand logic. We need the coordinates of the last vertex, but we are plugging in corrdinates of centroid :? thank you :-)


Hi dave13
the question says that the x & y coordinates of the center of triangle is equal to the averages of x & y coordinates of three vertices.
Now you know the average of x coordinate and you know two x coordinates of the vertices, you need to find out the 3rd x coordinate
Similarly for y coordinate.
Take this question as an average question and try to solve
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 00:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For any triangle T in the xy–coordinate plan, the center of T is defin

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.