Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 482 [154]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [55]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [21]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tanad wrote:
For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of the digits of n. For example, p(724) = 56, since 7 x 2 x 4 = 56. Which of the following statements must be true?

I. p(10n) = p(n)
II. p(n + 1) > p(n)
III. p(2n) = 2p(n)

A: None
B: I and II only
C: I and III only
D: II and III only
E: I, II and III

Dear tanad,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I gather that you are relatively new to GMAT Club. I will share with you an important piece of GC etiquette. Please do NOT start a brand new thread for a question that has already been posted. This particular question has already be posted here:
for-each-positive-integer-n-p-n-is-defined-to-be-the-product-of-217887.html
Always search before you start a separate post. You may find your question answered in that post, and if you don't, you can add your own question to that existing thread. Bunuel will merge this post into that thread.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of.. [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello,

They mentionned for any positive number n the multiplication works. so p(10n)=1*n without multiplying it by 0 because 0 is not considered positive.
What is the part I don't get?

Best,
G
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of.. [#permalink]
Kudos
It was easy to eliminate I and III, but I initially thought that II was correct.

Thankfully "II only" was not in the answer choices, which made me think again. Then I realized that if the last digit was 9, then II will be violated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
tanad wrote:
For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of the digits of n. For example, p(724) = 56, since 7 x 2 x 4 = 56. Which of the following statements must be true?

I. p(10n) = p(n)
II. p(n + 1) > p(n)
III. p(2n) = 2p(n)

A: None
B: I and II only
C: I and III only
D: II and III only
E: I, II and III

Hi Bunuel, can you please help to answer?
Read the response by Vyshak and still confused. Didn't see other responses so reaching out.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
broilerc wrote:
For each positive integer \(n\), \(p(n)\) is defined to be the product of the digits of \(n\). For example, \(p(724) = 56\) since \(7 * 2 * 4 =56\).

Which of the following statements must be true?

I. \(p(10n) = p(n)\)

II. \(p(n+1) > p(n)\)

III. \(p(2n) = 2p(n)\)

--

A. None
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Let’s go through each statement given in the Roman numerals.

I. p(10n) = p(n)

This is not true. For example, if n = 12, p(12) = 2 since 1 x 2 = 2. However, 10n = 10(12) = 120 and p(120) = 0 since 1 x 2 x 0 = 0. Since p(120) ≠ p(12), p(10n) = p(n) is not a true statement.

II. p(n +1) > p(n)

This is not true. For example, if n = 19, then p(19) = 9 since 1 x 9 = 9. However, n + 1 = 19 + 1 = 20 and p(20) = 0 since 2 x 0 = 0. Since p(20) < p (19), p(n +1) > p(n) is not a true statement.

Since neither I nor II is true, it can’t be choices B, C, D or E. So the correct choice must be A. However, let’s show III is also not true.

III. p(2n) = 2p(n)

For example, if n = 15, then p(15) = 5 since 1 x 5 = 5 and 2p(15) = 2 x 5 = 10. However, 2n = 2 x 15 = 30 and p(30) = 0 since 3 x 0 = 0. Since p(30) ≠ 2p(15), p(2n) = 2p(n) is not a true statement.

Answer: A

Thanks Jeff! Clear now.
Btw, did you think to pick specifically those numbers to test? I see you tried to pick ones were you would end up with a 0 as a multiplier.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of.. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
18967mba wrote:
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
broilerc wrote:
For each positive integer \(n\), \(p(n)\) is defined to be the product of the digits of \(n\). For example, \(p(724) = 56\) since \(7 * 2 * 4 =56\).

I. \(p(10n) = p(n)\)

II. \(p(n+1) > p(n)\)

III. \(p(2n) = 2p(n)\)

--

A. None
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

Let’s go through each statement given in the Roman numerals.

I. p(10n) = p(n)

This is not true. For example, if n = 12, p(12) = 2 since 1 x 2 = 2. However, 10n = 10(12) = 120 and p(120) = 0 since 1 x 2 x 0 = 0. Since p(120) ≠ p(12), p(10n) = p(n) is not a true statement.

II. p(n +1) > p(n)

This is not true. For example, if n = 19, then p(19) = 9 since 1 x 9 = 9. However, n + 1 = 19 + 1 = 20 and p(20) = 0 since 2 x 0 = 0. Since p(20) < p (19), p(n +1) > p(n) is not a true statement.

Since neither I nor II is true, it can’t be choices B, C, D or E. So the correct choice must be A. However, let’s show III is also not true.

III. p(2n) = 2p(n)

For example, if n = 15, then p(15) = 5 since 1 x 5 = 5 and 2p(15) = 2 x 5 = 10. However, 2n = 2 x 15 = 30 and p(30) = 0 since 3 x 0 = 0. Since p(30) ≠ 2p(15), p(2n) = 2p(n) is not a true statement.

Answer: A

Thanks Jeff! Clear now.
Btw, did you think to pick specifically those numbers to test? I see you tried to pick ones were you would end up with a 0 as a multiplier.

Yeah, so I thought it would be easiest to select numbers that had a zero as one of the digits. Glad I could help!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
broilerc wrote:

I. \(p(10n) = p(n)\)

II. \(p(n+1) > p(n)\)

III. \(p(2n) = 2p(n)\)

--

A. None
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

let n=23
Consider III
P(2n)=p(46)=4*6=24
p(n)=2*3=6
24 is not equal to two times of 6.........so III is not must be true ruling out C, D and E options.

Come to I, any number multiplied by ten will have 0 as one of its integers and product will be zero. Ruling out B as well leaving only A as correct choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
Great question - need to plug in values to solve and find 'must be true'
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts