Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:08 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [44]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [5]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [5]
Given Kudos: 283
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619779 [0]
Given Kudos: 81615
Send PM
For how many unique coordinate [#permalink]
Expert Reply
daboo343 wrote:
For how many unique coordinate points (P, Q), such that P and Q are integers, is it true that P2 - Q2 = 1155?

a) 16
b) 24
c) 32
d) 48
e) 64

This is a copy of the following MGMAT question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/for-how-many ... 97167.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: ISB YLP 2019
Send PM
For how many unique coordinate points (P, Q), such that P and Q are in [#permalink]
Kudos
Can I do this question by using the number of distinct factors formula?
Which says if A x B = N where N = a^p . b^q . c^r . d^s , where a,b,c,d are prime factors,
then the number of distinct factors of A x B = (p+1)(q+1)(r+1)(s+1)
which turns out to be 2.2.2.2 = 16.
Now P and Q both can take these distinct values, therefore the total number of possible values= 16 . 2 =32
The number of distinct factors will give us how many different values can A and B take.

Originally posted by baljitbagga on 08 Jul 2019, 17:05.
Last edited by baljitbagga on 08 Jul 2019, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: For how many unique coordinate points (P, Q), such that P and Q are in [#permalink]
baljitbagga wrote:
Can I do this question by using the number of distinct factors formula?
Which says if A x B = N where N = a^p . b^q . c^r . d^s , where a,b,c,d are prime factors,
then the number of distinct factors of A x B = (p+1)(q+1)(r+1)(s+1)
which turns out to be 2.2.2.2 = 32.
Number of distinct factors will give us how many different values can A and B take.

This multiplication equals to 16.

Quote:
which turns out to be 2.2.2.2 = 32.

I think you need to add 1 also as a factor. So the factors are 1,3,5,7 and 11.

Now it will be 32.

chetan2u : Please suggest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
Send PM
Re: For how many unique coordinate points (P, Q), such that P and Q are in [#permalink]
How can we consider combinations od (P+Q) and (P-Q) as the possible answer choices for (P,Q)?
It is quite possible that P and Q turn out to be fractions while they add up to the possibilities. And it is clearly mentioned that P and Q are integers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 441
Send PM
daboo343 wrote:
For how many unique coordinate points (P, Q), such that P and Q are integers, is it true that P^2 - Q^2 = 1155?

a) 16
b) 24
c) 32
d) 48
e) 64

KarishmaB @mickemcgarry MartyMurray, any expert. I do not understand what this question is even asking for. I saw the link to MGMAT problem Bunuel shared, but I still the basic question, what is this question even asking for?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1449 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Engineer1 wrote:
daboo343 wrote:
For how many unique coordinate points (P, Q), such that P and Q are integers, is it true that P^2 - Q^2 = 1155?

a) 16
b) 24
c) 32
d) 48
e) 64

KarishmaB @mickemcgarry MartyMurray, any expert. I do not understand what this question is even asking for. I saw the link to MGMAT problem Bunuel shared, but I still the basic question, what is this question even asking for?

Hi.

What aspect of the question is confusing you?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MartyMurray wrote:
Engineer1 wrote:
daboo343 wrote:

a) 16
b) 24
c) 32
d) 48
e) 64

Hi.

Hi Marty, thanks for your response. Let me clarify. What is the relation of coordinate with this question?
Sure, I too got until this point (p+q)(p-q) = 1155 = 11 x 7 x 3 x 5
Then I started to figure out how to fit in the factors in (p+q) and (p-q) format. Then I got stuck and started looking for the solution.
My basic question is that if this question is asking about the total number of unique factors of 1155. How can that be inferred from this question?

Then, if yes, how does it satisfy the values of both p and q?

Also, in case of unique factors, it would be (1+1) x (1+1) x (1+1) x (1+1) = 16. Why is it 32?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Engineer1 wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
Engineer1 wrote:
I do not understand what this question is even asking for. I saw the link to MGMAT problem Bunuel shared, but I still the basic question, what is this question even asking for?

Hi.

Hi Marty, thanks for your response. Let me clarify. What is the relation of coordinate with this question?
Then I started to figure out how to fit in the factors in (p+q) and (p-q) format. Then I got stuck and started looking for the solution.
My basic question is that if this question is asking about the total number of unique factors of 1155. How can that be inferred from this question?

Asking how many coordinate points work is an indirect way of asking how many pairs of factors work.

The question didn't need to use coordinate points. It's just a typical Manhattan Prep practice question with multiple layers. So, we need to first figure out how many possible pairs there are and then determine how many points on the coordinate plane work.

Quote:

Well, P and Q themselves are not the factors. They are values that add up and subtract to the factors.

Quote:
Also, in case of unique factors, it would be (1+1) x (1+1) x (1+1) x (1+1) = 16. Why is it 32?

Because points with two negative coordinates work as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
My basic question is that if this question is asking about the total number of unique factors of 1155. How can that be inferred from this question?[/quote]
Asking how many coordinate points work is an indirect way of asking how many pairs of factors work.

The question didn't need to use coordinate points. It's just a typical Manhattan Prep practice question with multiple layers. So, we need to first figure out how many possible pairs there are and then determine how many points on the coordinate plane work.

Quote:

Well, P and Q themselves are not the factors. They are values that add up and subtract to the factors.

Quote:

Because points with two negative coordinates work as well.[/quote]

Got it, thanks. So there’s no need to find out wharf value of p+q and p-q is valid with the factors. For example for 1155 = 35 x 33, I could not find anything satisfying values of integers p and q.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
What about 34 and 1?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MartyMurray wrote:
What about 34 and 1?

Understood, missed it. :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64980 [2]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Kudos