Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32943 [3]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 800 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32943 [4]
Send PM
Forget hostile aliens. According to a forthcoming book by noted astrop [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Princ wrote:
SajjadAhmad
Can you give OE for question 6.

Official Explanation

6. Which of the following inventions, if it could be perfected and manufactured at a viable cost, would address the most challenges to human interstellar space travel, as presented in the passage?

Explanation

B addresses all the survival issues handled by C, and in addition its protection “from all physical harm” addresses the radiation mentioned in E and the acceleration problems that are inherent in A. B also protects against the daunting passage of time necessary for interstellar space travel. Based on the information in the third paragraph, the invention in A would not be usable without some other protective invention because humans could not withstand that rate of acceleration. D would be an astounding invention on its own, but it does not address as many of the challenges mentioned in the passage as B. B is the best answer. Why hasn’t someone invented this thing yet?

ANSWER: B

Hope it Helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Forget hostile aliens. According to a forthcoming book by noted astrop [#permalink]
Kudos
1. Which of the following would make the most appropriate title for this passage?

A. Going Boldly Where No One Has Gone Before: The Promise and Peril of Interstellar Space Travel - Out of scope
B. The Day the Earth Stood Still: Why Interstellar Space Travel Is Essential to Human Survival - Out of scope
C. The Wrath of Larson: Egbert Larson’s Quest to Build an Interstellar Spacecraft - out of scope
D. Busted Flat in Beta Regulus: The Crushing Challenges of Interstellar Space Travel - best summarizes the passage
E. Say It Isn’t So, Mr. Einstein: Egbert Larson’s Challenge to the Theory of Relativity - Out of scope

2. 2. Based on the tone and content of the passage, it is most likely which of the following?

A. A book review in a journal intended for astrophysics professionals - the tone was general so can be concluded not for professionals
B. A movie review in an entertainment industry publication - Inconsistent
C. A book review in a science magazine aimed at a general audience - best summarizes the tone
D. A book review in a newspaper - out of scope
E. A transcript of a talk given at a science fiction convention dedicated to “The poetry of space” - Out of scope

3. The passage implies that all except which of the following could be threats to human health during extended interstellar voyages?

A. Meteor impact - not given in the passage
B. Radiation poisoning - given
C. Accelerating too fast - given
D. Starvation - given
E. Old age - given

4. According to the passage, which of the following will present the most difficult challenge for humans attempting interstellar space travel?

A. Achieving velocities near the speed of light - not as per passage
B. Withstanding the acceleration necessary for traversing interstellar distances - not most difficult as per passage
C. Maintaining clean air and water on a journey that could last centuries - not most difficult as per passage
D. Accommodating the effects of relativistic time dilation -not most difficult as per passage
E. Enabling the humans on board to survive during the journey - given in 3rd para
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Forget hostile aliens. According to a forthcoming book by noted astrop [#permalink]
Kudos
This is a really good passage! I liked it!! For me, it's a 700!!
It's perfect!!! Thank you for posting it :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The author of the passage most likely mentions “Little Green Men” in the first paragraph for what purpose?
please explain the reasoning for correct answer ????
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32943 [1]
Send PM
Forget hostile aliens. According to a forthcoming book by noted astrop [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
diljeetsingh wrote:
The author of the passage most likely mentions “Little Green Men” in the first paragraph for what purpose?
please explain the reasoning for correct answer ????

Official Explanation

7. The author of the passage most likely mentions “Little Green Men” in the first paragraph for what purpose?

Explanation

The passage states: “Forget hostile aliens. According to a forthcoming book by noted astrophysicist Egbert Larson, the intrepid humans who first attempt interstellar space travel will face far more daunting challenges before they ever meet the Little Green Men.” While the passage is light in tone, it does not suggest that the aliens are necessarily a “myth,” as in E, or that those who believe in them are ignorant, as in A. On the other hand, it does not say that they exist or that humans are likely to contact them, which rules out C. The point of the introduction is that there are more daunting immediate problems than the theoretical risk of alien attacks, so B is out. D captures the essence of the introduction.

ANSWER: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Kudos
DAVEexamPAL wrote:

Question 1

]

Question 4

4. According to the passage, which of the following will present the most difficult challenge for humans attempting interstellar space travel?

The answer is E.

This question can and should be solved using the Precise approach, by simply finding a place in the text which answers this exactly.
This question may be a bit tricky, since almost all of the answer choices are indeed difficulties mentioned, but what is important is that we are asked which is the most difficult. We'll look in the text for something mentioned as the hardest: " Keeping a crew alive on the way turns out to be the trickiest part of all." - answer E!

Hey DAVEexamPAL,

Although I agree with your explanation for question 4, in paragraph 2- "That’s because the distance between stars is so vast that even if you could travel at the speed of light— which, Larson reminds us, you can’t—it", the author has mentioned that it is impossible to attain the speed of light.

Well, if something is clearly impossible then it is obviously the most difficult challenge.

Looking forward to your perspective on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [1]
Given Kudos: 1036
Send PM
Kudos
Anyone understand the reason that the answer for Q4 is E and not A?

Paragraph 2 clearly states:
"That’s because the distance between stars is so vast that even if you could travel at the speed of light— which, Larson reminds us, you can’t"

Since this task is impossible, isn't it the most challenging to overcome??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
Desertchampion wrote:
Anyone understand the reason that the answer for Q4 is E and not A?

Paragraph 2 clearly states:
"That’s because the distance between stars is so vast that even if you could travel at the speed of light— which, Larson reminds us, you can’t"

Since this task is impossible, isn't it the most challenging to overcome??

Hi,

I have fallen for the same trap answer. But got why E is right. Look at the given below line in third para -:

"Once you’ve got the nearly impossible physics of space travel worked out, you still have to figure out the chemistry and biology of keeping your air and water clean and keeping your crew fed and safe from radiation and infection, and—did we mention the 200 years?—you’ll probably need several generations of crew members to complete the trip. Ever been on a bus for more than 24 hours? It’s not a pretty picture."

Since it mentions whatever problem is their with physics discussed above this para if it can be solved(Line in the bold), but then also much bigger problem would be survival for crew for 200 long years.

-----If it helps you do give me kudos :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
There are two major clues, which can be used to determine the answer to Q2 : "for THOSE of you who are ... with Scotty";and the passage uses scientific terms.Therefore,a book review in science(a reference to scientific detail) magazine aimed at public(the word "those" is used to refer to pubic audience) audience.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Sajjad1994

Hi Sajjad,

For question 2, I think these statements captured how food is very challenging. So I answered "C"

"Speaking of chips, food is going to be a problem. Since it is economically, if not physically, impossible to accelerate 200 years’ worth of food to nearly the speed of light, and since you’re not likely to find any grocery stores along the way, someone will have to figure out how to make food in space."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 350
Send PM
And after watching Avengers endgame,one should solve this .lol

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Teitsuya wrote:
Sajjad1994

Hi Sajjad,

For question 2, I think these statements captured how food is very challenging. So I answered "C"

"Speaking of chips, food is going to be a problem. Since it is economically, if not physically, impossible to accelerate 200 years’ worth of food to nearly the speed of light, and since you’re not likely to find any grocery stores along the way, someone will have to figure out how to make food in space."

Teitsuya, no doubt that Food is a challenge and option C does solve that challenge. But option B covers more challenges than option C. It solves the problem of astronauts being harmed due to the speed and the problem of needing generations of needing generations of crew members.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts