GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB - Class of 2016
Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2014, 17:52
In this Question, how is "beached" parallel to "was butchered"

Also "Whale beached on an African shore" is in active voice whereas ""Whale was subsequently butchered by hominids" is in passive voice.

So how is this construction correct?
e-GMAT Representative
G
Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2014, 04:44
jrashish wrote:
In this Question, how is "beached" parallel to "was butchered"

Also "Whale beached on an African shore" is in active voice whereas ""Whale was subsequently butchered by hominids" is in passive voice.

So how is this construction correct?

Hi jrashish,

Thank you for posting your query here. :)

Let’s take a look at the sentence structure of this sentence:

Fossils of a whale (Clause-I)
o that (Clause-II)
beached on an African shore more than a million years ago (Clause-II)
• and was subsequently butchered by hominids (Clause-II)
have been recovered by paleontologists. (Clause-I)

So, this sentence has two clauses as shown. The subject verb pairs in both the clauses are highlighted.

Now, the dependent clause starting with “that” tells us two things about a whale:
1. It beached on an African shore at a certain time in the past
2. It was butchered by hominids.
So, the verbs "beached" and "was butchered" are parallel to each other.

Note that, active and passive verbs can be parallel to each other if their subject is the same. Let’s take another official example (correct version) with similar structure:

• Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, the first woman to draw a soldier's pension,
o joined the Continental Army in 1782 at the age of 22,
o was injured three times,
o and was discharged in 1783 because she had become too ill to serve.

Here, the list of the verbs for the subject Deborah Sampson is:
1. joined (Active Voice)
2. was injured (Passive Voice)
3. was discharged (Passive Voice)

As we can see, first verb is written in active voice while second and third verbs are in passive voice. However, these verbs are parallel. Similarly in the given sentence, "beached" and "was butchered" are parallel.

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 00:28
Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have been recovered by palaeontologists.

ANSWER IS A
The subject of the sentence is "FOSSILS" which is plural, so the use of a corresponding plural verb "have" is must.

A. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have
CORRECT:- correct verb "have" and correct simple past tense "beached". "that" correctly refers to the "fossils of the whale"

B. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then was subsequently butchered by hominids has
WRONG:- has is incorrect tense

C. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago, which was subsequently butchered by hominids, has
WRONG:- has is incorrect tense. placement of "which" is incorrect. Here "which" is modifying million years instead of "whale"

D. having been beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and subsequently butchered by hominids, have
WRONG:- "ing+been+past" is incorrect . Simple past is sufficient

E. having beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then subsequently were butchered by hominids have
WRONG:- "ing+past" is incorrect . Simple past is sufficient.
Meaning change :- The fossils were not butchered. The whale was butchered and then the whale become a fossil after thousands of years.

sudeep wrote:
Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

A. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have

B. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then was subsequently butchered by hominids has

C. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago, which was subsequently butchered by hominids, has

D. having been beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and subsequently butchered by hominids, have

E. having beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then subsequently were butchered by hominids have

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 10:16
mikemcgarry chetan2u Can you please help me with my doubt of why the answer is :A: because FOSSILS are plural and in option A it is clearly violating the S-V Agreement with :WAS:

Thanks in advance.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 14:01
siddyj94 wrote:
mikemcgarry chetan2u Can you please help me with my doubt of why the answer is :A: because FOSSILS are plural and in option A it is clearly violating the S-V Agreement with :WAS:

Thanks in advance.

Dear siddyj94,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

With all due respect, my friend, I think you have gotten lost in the architecture of the sentence, because you have paired a noun with a verb even though they are at different levels of the sentence. Here's (A), with the big noun=modifying clause in green.

Fossils = noun, plural, main subject
of a whale = prepositional phrase, modifies "fossils"
that = relative pronoun, begins a large noun-modifying relative clause, targeting the singular noun "whale"
Because the target noun, "whale," is singular, the relative pronoun "that" is singular, and all the verbs in the relative clause referring to it have to be singular
//beached on an African shore more than a million years ago = first branch of parallelism, singular verb inside clause
and
//was subsequently butchered by hominids
= second branch of parallelism, singular verb inside clause
have been recovered = main verb of sentence, with plural subject "fossils"
by paleontologists.

You see, my friend, the GMAT loves to nest structures inside each other, and it can put parallelism at any level. It's very important, with each and every verb, to know where it is situated in the architecture of the sentence overall. See:
Nested Grammatical Structures on the GMAT Sentence Correction

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Mar 2018, 13:52
Top Contributor
Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have been recovered by paleontologists.

CHOICE A: Correct. Notice that the VERB TENSES ARE PARALLEL here. Normally, you might assume that "fossils" is the subject, but clearly the meaning of the sentence doesn't support that conclusion (fossils can't be "butchered", only whales can).

CHOICE B: Incorrect. The "then was" is not a big deal; it's functionally equivalent to "was subsequently" in Choice A. However, "has" is incorrect, because at that point we have stopped modifying the object (whale) and have returned to modifying the subject (fossils). We can't say "fossils has" ("they has"), so we move on.

CHOICE C: When we write in English ".... _______, which was ..." , then the "was" is presumably modifying a subject before the comma. However, this doesn't work because it was the whale that was butchered, not years or an African shore.

CHOICE D: "Having" is not by itself an actual verb, and should never be used as the main verb of a sentence, only as a modifier.

CHOICE E: Same problem as E.

PERFECT VERSION: Fossils of a whale, one which beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids, have been recovered by paleontologists.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 20 Mar 2018, 14:38.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 31 Mar 2018, 13:52, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 08:40

A. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and was subsequently butchered by hominids have - CORRECT as SV agreement, Subject Fossils agrees in number with plural have

B. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then was subsequently butchered by hominids has - Usage of has is incorrect , SV agreement error as Fossils is Plural. Also then usage is incorrect as redundant here

C. that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago, which was subsequently butchered by hominids, has - Usage of has is incorrect , SV agreement error as Fossils is Plural

D. having been beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and subsequently butchered by hominids, have - Having been" is incorrect here. Participle cannot be used as it is not parallel to butchered

E. having beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and then subsequently were butchered by hominids have - "Having been" is incorrect here. Participle cannot be used as it is not parallel to butchered. Second point what was butchered? Of course it is the whale that was butchered hence usage of were is incorrect

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio &nbs [#permalink] 31 Mar 2018, 08:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a millio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap