Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 08:30 It is currently 07 May 2024, 08:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q38 V49
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1996 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q38 V49
Send PM
Re: From 600 (?) to 710 in almost a month [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thank you u1983 and souvonik2k for your kind words and wishes. I wish the best for you too.

For the Verbal part which, as I have already mentioned, was my weakest one and is the one that really makes the change in the total score I worked in this ways:
1) I tried and maintained my good attitude towards it. From the first MGMAT CAT, I was disappointed, but I did not let it get me down. I believe that having a strong mentality is the most important fact in fighting your weaknesses.
2) I used the MGMAT SC guide and the Powerscore CR Bible, along with the material I had with my course. I went through all of these at least 2 times fully in the final month. I got as familiar I could with the strategies.
3) I examined every verbal explanation from the CATs. I bought the supplementary Verbal Review Guide for extra practice and did the same there too. I was taking questions in a bunch of 5 and then I was looking at the full answers. I analyzed every solution, no matter if my answer was right or wrong. This helped a lot to use the strategies I have learned and in real time see my mistakes and work on them. The explanations of the OG are gold, being the most realistic material out there. Work on these kind of questions and your Verbal score will rise, sooner or later.
4) More specifically, I put my focus primarily in Sentence Correction, as it was the one that I could get better easier. For the SC, I consistently revised all of the grammatical rules and idioms. For the CR, strategies like negation in the assumption questions and a full understanding of the arguments structure (premises, assumptions and conclusion) were fundamentals. I can stress how crucial was the last one. Being able to understand quickly and precisely how the argument is built does half the job. As for the RC, I just did the OG questions for extra practice. I prefer to read the text as a whole for the first time, paying attention to the first paragraph, the first and last sentences of the other, the time and opposition marks and skimming through the rest of the part. I always previewed the first question just to have an idea. For smaller readings, I read closely with almost no skimming. I think that while one is getting better in CR, his RC will also rise so you hit two weaknesses at once. Very good for your overall time management.
5) I also took lots of Verbal questions in GMAT club forum, using the time marker. This was an extra to my practice. The Error Log helped me check my mistakes again and again and learn from them.
6) Constant Review of everything, from simple rules to extreme cases. The more you see them the more they become part of your nature. Revise, revise and revise.

Hope I helped guys.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Kudos
theoma7 wrote:
Thank you u1983 and souvonik2k for your kind words and wishes. I wish the best for you too.

For the Verbal part which, as I have already mentioned, was my weakest one and is the one that really makes the change in the total score I worked in this ways:
1) I tried and maintained my good attitude towards it. From the first MGMAT CAT, I was disappointed, but I did not let it get me down. I believe that having a strong mentality is the most important fact in fighting your weaknesses.
2) I used the MGMAT SC guide and the Powerscore CR Bible, along with the material I had with my course. I went through all of these at least 2 times fully in the final month. I got as familiar I could with the strategies.
3) I examined every verbal explanation from the CATs. I bought the supplementary Verbal Review Guide for extra practice and did the same there too. I was taking questions in a bunch of 5 and then I was looking at the full answers. I analyzed every solution, no matter if my answer was right or wrong. This helped a lot to use the strategies I have learned and in real time see my mistakes and work on them. The explanations of the OG are gold, being the most realistic material out there. Work on these kind of questions and your Verbal score will rise, sooner or later.
4) More specifically, I put my focus primarily in Sentence Correction, as it was the one that I could get better easier. For the SC, I consistently revised all of the grammatical rules and idioms. For the CR, strategies like negation in the assumption questions and a full understanding of the arguments structure (premises, assumptions and conclusion) were fundamentals. I can stress how crucial was the last one. Being able to understand quickly and precisely how the argument is built does half the job. As for the RC, I just did the OG questions for extra practice. I prefer to read the text as a whole for the first time, paying attention to the first paragraph, the first and last sentences of the other, the time and opposition marks and skimming through the rest of the part. I always previewed the first question just to have an idea. For smaller readings, I read closely with almost no skimming. I think that while one is getting better in CR, his RC will also rise so you hit two weaknesses at once. Very good for your overall time management.
5) I also took lots of Verbal questions in GMAT club forum, using the time marker. This was an extra to my practice. The Error Log helped me check my mistakes again and again and learn from them.
6) Constant Review of everything, from simple rules to extreme cases. The more you see them the more they become part of your nature. Revise, revise and revise.

Hope I helped guys.

Hello theoma7 ..... Thanks a bunch again for you valuable inputs...........Its surely going to help my preparation and that of many others.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts