Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 08-22-2015
GPA: 2
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Gap in GMATPrep vs Veritas practice test scores [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Nathan2508,

Considering the score discrepancy here, it might be better to start off by defining what YOU did differently between your first CAT and these last 2 CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) all 3 times?
2) Did you take the CATs at the same time of day?
3) Did you take all 3 CATs under realistic and 'test-like' conditions?
4) Did you do ANYTHING that you won't be allowed to do on Test Day (pause the Test, listen to music, eat/drink while taking the CAT, etc.)?

In these types of situations, the details really matter, so you have to nitpick your process so that we can figure out if your current abilities place you in the high 600s or the high 500s.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Expert Reply
So I am going to reply here, even though my words will inevitably be taken with a grain of salt. Nothing is more accurate than the official GMAT Prep practice tests. That being said, Veritas tests are the next best thing. The tests utilize the same algorithm as that utilized by the gmat exam itself, and they have been confirmed as highly accurate. As for some people saying that they are easier than official exams, and others saying they are more difficult, of course you are going to hear that. Every exam is unique. If all test takers unanimously agreed that they were either easier or more difficult than the real deal, then that would be more cause for concern. Additionally, taking the gmat in a real proctored environment will always be different from taking a practice test in your house. It is impossible to completely replicate the intensity of that environment in your home.

If you are curious about Manhattan's or any other company's practice tests, then I encourage you to take them. There is no harm in taking more practice tests!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Nathan2508 wrote:
Hello everyone! This is my first post as I have just found this forum today.

I took an official GMATPrep practice test very early in my studies and scored a 690. After 3 weeks of pretty intensive study I took 2 Veritas practice tests and scored 560 and 570! I have a couple more months of prep time but needless to say I am discouraged considering how much I feel like I have learned over the past few weeks.

Does anybody have an opinion on the accuracy of these Veritas tests? It seems like some people rate them as easier while others say they are harder. What other practice tests would you recommend? I am considering going with Manhattan.

Hey Nathan2508

We can't comment for other tests but do note that no test prep company's algorithm will exactly match the real thing. The best we can do is get close.

You can always take a free GMAT PILL practice test here complete with detailed performance and timing analytics: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

In terms of our scoring, many of our students report scores that are +/- 30 points from their actual GMAT test and so are a relatively good indicator of their performance. That said, no practice test can perfectly replicate the actual score algorithm, but this is quite close.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nathan2508 wrote:

I took an official GMATPrep practice test very early in my studies and scored a 690. After 3 weeks of pretty intensive study I took 2 Veritas practice tests and scored 560 and 570! I have a couple more months of prep time but needless to say I am discouraged considering how much I feel like I have learned over the past few weeks.

Does anybody have an opinion on the accuracy of these Veritas tests? It seems like some people rate them as easier while others say they are harder. What other practice tests would you recommend? I am considering going with Manhattan.

Hi Nathan,

That is indeed a pretty big discrepancy. Always go by the official GMAC practice tests more than any test prep company's tests, but that's a big enough discrepancy that I would recommend taking another one of our tests... I'm curious to see how you do.

To that end, we actually just launched a new program to help us calibrate our tests and ensure that they give students scores that closely match what they would earn on the GMATPrep tests and the Official GMAT. We frequently gather data and have in fact made some pretty big tweaks to our algorithm in the past three months (I can't divulge!), but this represents our biggest effort yet to collect students' scores:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-tes ... -score.php

All you have to do is upload either your official GMAT score report or a screen capture of your GMATPrep practice test results within two weeks of taking either test, and we will give you full access to all 7 of our practice tests (a $49 value)!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT Date: 08-22-2015
GPA: 2
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
How many GMATPrep CATs can you take? I know they have the 2 free ones. I see this 2-pack on their website for $49.99. I assume this is in addition to the 2 free ones and the most you can take is 4?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Nathan2508 wrote:

I also have experienced a gap in my GMATPrep practice test 1, and the Veritas exams (using the free 7 tests you get after submitting them to Veritas.

GMATPrep: 740 (Q49/V41)
Veritas 1: 670 (Q46/V36)
Veritas 2: 650 (Q44/V35)

Granted, I did take the GMATPrep test under test-taking conditions, and the Veritas tests were not taken in quiet places, I still worry that my scores are pretty different. I'm hoping to try just one more Veritas test under normal conditions to see what happens. I have been practicing a lot, so it could also be test fatigue.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
quixx23 wrote:
Nathan2508 wrote:

Hi Nathan,

That is indeed a pretty big discrepancy. Always go by the official GMAC practice tests more than any test prep company's tests, but that's a big enough discrepancy that I would recommend taking another one of our tests... I'm curious to see how you do.

To that end, we actually just launched a new program to help us calibrate our tests and ensure that they give students scores that closely match what they would earn on the GMATPrep tests and the Official GMAT. We frequently gather data and have in fact made some pretty big tweaks to our algorithm in the past three months (I can't divulge!), but this represents our biggest effort yet to collect students' scores:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-tes ... -score.php

All you have to do is upload either your official GMAT score report or a screen capture of your GMATPrep practice test results within two weeks of taking either test, and we will give you full access to all 7 of our practice tests (a $49 value)!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Scott

So I Just go and do an exam no matter how I score and upload the data from the free test at mba.com and I will get 7 free practice tests from Veritas?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Expert Reply
bfarooq wrote:

So I Just go and do an exam no matter how I score and upload the data from the free test at mba.com and I will get 7 free practice tests from Veritas?

That's right! Just be sure to submit your results within two weeks of when you took the test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: MBA, Finance, 2009
Schools:UCLA Anderson
Send PM
I've recently completed 3 of the GMATPrep tests. I noticed that I got many of the same Integrated Reasoning questions on all three exams.

As far as the Quant and Verbal, I think Ian is right. The exams are good for 1 retake each.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Gap in GMATPrep vs Veritas practice test scores [#permalink]
As everyone else has said, GMATPrep scores are very predictive and any third party test, while good for practice, is much less so. Still, the discrepancy is large enough that you may want to take the second free GMATPrep exam under realistic conditions to hone in on your true score.

I'd also recommend buying the two additional GMATPrep exams, and only then doing one retake of each (for a total of eight official CATs). I took four full GMATPreps before my exam - 650 for the first one early on, 680 (retake of first), followed by a 700, and a 710. I got a 700 on the GMAT (plan to retake). [For what it's worth, I took the free Veritas exam before any real studying and got a 690.] I think the real GMAT questions are worded in a way that closely reflect your ability.

///EDIT/// I may take VeritasPrep up on its offer of free CATs for official GMAT scores and let you know how close they are to each other.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jz4analytics wrote:
As everyone else has said, GMATPrep scores are very predictive and any third party test, while good for practice, is much less so. Still, the discrepancy is large enough that you may want to take the second free GMATPrep exam under realistic conditions to hone in on your true score.

I'd also recommend buying the two additional GMATPrep exams, and only then doing one retake of each (for a total of eight official CATs). I took four full GMATPreps before my exam - 650 for the first one early on, 680 (retake of first), followed by a 700, and a 710. I got a 700 on the GMAT (plan to retake). [For what it's worth, I took the free Veritas exam before any real studying and got a 690.] I think the real GMAT questions are worded in a way that closely reflect your ability.

///EDIT/// I may take VeritasPrep up on its offer of free CATs for official GMAT scores and let you know how close they are to each other.

I sure hope the GMATPrep tests are more like the score I will get. I completed 5 more Veritas tests and my score ranged from a 620-670. I plan to take the second GMATPrep test the day before test day under realistic conditions. We'll see what happens!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MDMBA2020,

When is your Official Test Date? I ask because taking a FULL CAT the day before your Official GMAT is NOT a good idea. By doing that, you're far more likely to 'burn out' before Test Day than realize any type of benefit from taking that CAT at that time. You'd be better served taking that last CAT about a week before your Official GMAT (on the same day of the week and at the same time, so you can try to mirror Test Day in as many ways as possible.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MDMBA2020,

When is your Official Test Date? I ask because taking a FULL CAT the day before your Official GMAT is NOT a good idea. By doing that, you're far more likely to 'burn out' before Test Day than realize any type of benefit from taking that CAT at that time. You'd be better served taking that last CAT about a week before your Official GMAT (on the same day of the week and at the same time, so you can try to mirror Test Day in as many ways as possible.

Rich

Hi Rich,

My test date is this Saturday. I've been taking CATs each day for the past 3 days and yes, I think I am a little burnt out as it is. I recently moved across the country to start medical school next week, so there has been a lot going on. Surely not ideal for the GMAT, but I was trying to fit this in before school starts. I am really bummed because my first GMATPrep test was so strong and my subsequent Veritas tests have been far below what I was looking for. What would be your advice at this point? Just reviewing old tests and doing focused practicing?

Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MDMBA2020,

Considering everything that you've described, I suggest that you keep things 'light' for these last few days - NO CATS, NO 'cramming' - just some light review and practice sets. Go back and redo some of the earlier questions that you worked on (especially in your early CATs) - you'll likely be amazed at how far you've improved. Friday, you should really try to relax, get a good night's sleep and get mentally prepared to work hard on Test Day.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm happy to report that my unofficial score that I got today was a 710: Q46/V41 and an 8 on IR. I'm stoked. I definitely took too many practice tests in too short of a time, but I do think that Veritas tests are a little less forgiving than the actual exam. I appreciate the free tests though, I think they were overall helpful in getting me to where I got!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MDMBA2020,

That's outstanding news! With a 710, you can apply to any Business Schools that interest you. Since you're starting Medical School in a week, when do you think that you'll be applying to Business School?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That is a really good question. I am unsure if I need to apply this cycle, or wait until next year entirely because I would not enter next year. I know people have already started applying!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2