Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 19:18 It is currently 11 May 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1124 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2099 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Getting Started - Some Questions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi,

1) MGMAT suggests to take a GMATPrep test before actually starting with the prep. The OG13 however has a Diagnostic Test in it. In forums the terms are often mixed up and now I don't know which one to take (or take both? which first?)
I have taken GMATPREP test before starting the GMAT prep and i left the diagnostic test for the end(once am done with my prep). You can take both the tests before starting the prep too. But taking a GMATPREP TIMED test is the MOST RECOMMENDED.

2) Should I first go through each MGMAT book before doing the next test or should I take tests in between even if sections are not covered yet? If the former, what am I supposed to do between test 2, 3, 4 etc. besides looking at mistakes?

I have written a post on the same
how-to-start-gmat-preperations-136048.html

I will suggest you to complete the theory first and do some practice before writing your first test after your preperations!

Between the test2,3,... you are supposed to
1. identify your weak areas
2. update them in your error log
3. study your weak areas
4. practice questions on your weak areas
5. Re-write the test and follow the same procedure.

3) Are there any Excel templates in terms of study progress, error logs or so? (yea I know it's easy to do it myself, but some fancy ones would be nice )

You can make a search on gmatclub regarding the same. There are LOTS of error logs.
I would recommend something like this
Identify the weak areas (which i guess you have) and try the following:
Prepare a xls sheet (topic by topic).. and keep a track of your progress on a daily basis. Use color coding (Red,Orange,Green).
Red: You are weak in theory - brush up your concepts.
Orange - Done with theory but weak in application of the concepts
Green - Done with the topic

Good luck for your prep!
Hope it helps!
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1124 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
allnighter wrote:
So when I finished studying the guidebooks and practice questions, should I take all 7-8 CATs in a row? What should I do between the CATs? I can't imagine that just reviewing my mistakes will improve my score for the next CAT.

Good follow-up questions!

After you have covered the material, practice tests should begin to play a more prominent role in your studies. But practice tests shouldn't become the only tool in your preparation. You will probably still have a few areas to shore up, and that means going back to the books and more practice questions. The CATs will expose your weaknesses and strengths to help you fine-tune your studies.

I wouldn't take all eight Manhattan tests within a short time span, as this could lead to burnout. Space them out accordingly so you have enough time to review your performance and make corrections in your preparation.
GMAT Club Bot