Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 16:14 It is currently 12 May 2024, 16:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1542 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
June 9 is too early since it takes time to master the GMAT. Especially if you want to raise the score by 200+ points. I would recommend studying for 2-3 months and then taking the GMAT. I'm guessing you're applying for Fall 2005 (or Spring 2005 if the school you're applying to has spring admissions), so you should have plenty of time to retake.

I personally have not used GMAT for Dummies, but I would highly recommend The Official Guide, Powerprep (you can get both on mba.com; the latter is the free software with two tests), and Princeton Review's Cracking the GMAT. With PP and PR, you'll have 7 practice tests and plenty of questions to study with. And the PR book has excellent strategies.

I have no doubt that with some solid studying, you'll bump the score up considerably. Be sure to peruse this forum for tips and help if you get stumped on practice questions. It's a great resource.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73165 [0]
Given Kudos: 18947
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Glad I found this website!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Jenny wrote:
Hi, my name is Jenny and I'm from Kentucky. I took the GMAT for the first time May 12 and boy did I BLOW IT! Scored a 370 (q 21, v 20) with only taking one practice test and barely cracking the GMAT for Dummies book. Well, needless to say, this score isn't gonna get me anywhere! Just wondering if June 9 is too soon for me to take the test again? I need at least a 500 to get into Western Kentucky University, however I want to shoot higher, of course. The score has to be in to WKU by June 24, do you guys think it will get there in time? Boy, I'm sure glad I found this website, I'm gonna study my a$$ off for the retake.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Jenny

June 9th is too soon.
If you need your score by June 24, keep in mind that you have only one retake left. GMAC allows takign the test only once a month (mostly due to money savings and prevention of cheating).

I would take all the time I had, but that's me and I always wait a bit too long :oops:

I think you can improve a lot,however, if you go over the basics, what emmanuel suggested, you should be prepared. You absolutely need to know how the test works (the questions in the beginning are important and you have to answer all of them), however, I would not focus on the test taking much at this state. Work on filling in the gaps and then spend the last 10 days taking tests and working on your timing skills and reading strategies.

The last few days are for rest....

-=
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well I've been studying about 3 hours a day for the past 2 weeks, just trying to master the math. It seems like I really know what I'm doing, then I take another practice test and I'm still scoring in the low 400's. Talk about frustrating! I don't know what to do. I'm not about to give up, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just not smart enough to take this test.

Jenny
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Jenny wrote:
Well I've been studying about 3 hours a day for the past 2 weeks, just trying to master the math. It seems like I really know what I'm doing, then I take another practice test and I'm still scoring in the low 400's. Talk about frustrating! I don't know what to do. I'm not about to give up, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just not smart enough to take this test.

Jenny

are you timing yourself in the prep? that might be making all the difference. Are you maintaining an error log in your prep? if not, i would advise you to do so.

please try to go over the problems in the category based forum. they might help you.

if you tell us more about what exactly you are doing in our prep. we might be able to help you better

good luck

sincerely
praet
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not sure what you mean by error log? No, I haven't been timing myself, then when I take the practice I attempt to solve the problem, but get frustrated because of time and end up guessing just so I can move on. I will try some of the problems you suggested.

My prep consists of me working on problems throughout the day in the Princeton Review book, then going to the local technical college and meeting with one of the math teachers to help me see what I did right or wrong. There is no prep for the GMAT around here, and I don't know anyone else that is preparing for it so I'm just doing the best I can.

Jenny
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not sure what you mean by error log? No, I haven't been timing myself, then when I take the practice I attempt to solve the problem, but get frustrated because of time and end up guessing just so I can move on. I will try some of the problems you suggested.

My prep consists of me working on problems throughout the day in the Princeton Review book, then going to the local technical college and meeting with one of the math teachers to help me see what I did right or wrong. There is no prep for the GMAT around here, and I don't know anyone else that is preparing for it so I'm just doing the best I can.

Jenny
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Jenny wrote:

Jenny

an error log is simply a record of your errors and the notes you write for yourself. I wrote a detailed article in our journal. here is the link
https://gmatclub.blogs.com/blog/gmat_/index.html

Do you have the Official Guide for GMAT Review. Please go over the problems in the Official Guide. Also, try the guides and the CD tests from Kaplan. Kaplan tests are much much tougher. Dont take the Kaplan test scores seriously though.

Hope this helps

Let us know if you have any other questions

Praet
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Second attempt - up 170 points! YaHoo!!! Couldn't be happier with my second attempt of 540 (q 30, v 34) Needed a 500 for Western Kentucky University, and I got it! Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

My advice: DO NOT read all that mumbo jumbo about tricks and traps, and become overly concerened with the first ten questions, etc, it is simply too distracting. Simply practice the problems over and over. I was amazed at how many of them were very similar to what I had practiced.

Also, on the verbal, try to relate the stuff to you. I found that as boring as some of the RC and CR topics were, I was able to find something interesting in each of them. I even sometimes subsituted the name of my city to make it relate to me more.

I used the PR book, its practice tests and PP tests. Oh, and in none of my full length practice test did I score as high as 540.

Thanks!
Jenny
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1542 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulation Jenny! A 170 points improvement is an awesome one!. Glad you reached your goal and all the best in your applications. :band
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37411 posts