Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Courses Strategies [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jp28,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Studies:
1.) I have been studying for about 5 months.
2.) I have used OG Quant and Verbal, as well as Manhattan Prep Quant review books and Sentence Correction
3.) Score for CATs have been about 37 Q and 33 V

Goals:
4.) Goal score is 700+
5.) Planning to take the GMAT in about 3 months, beginning of September.
6.) Planning to apply to Business Schools this fall during round 1, if I feel confident with my GMAT score.
7.) BYU, University of Utah, and a couple other T50 schools in the west.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
jp28 wrote:
I'm comparing different online study courses, specifically e-GMAT and Manhattan Prep, but I'm curious to know which program helps the most with GMAT strategy. I feel like I have a solid base foundation understanding of principles, but I am lacking in question strategy and how to approach questions and better recognize patterns.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who offers the best course detailed towards test taking strategy and not just the basic fundamentals of rules and principles. Thanks for the help.

Both the courses you mentioned are great. You need to understand that a course can help you only in understanding the strategies or structure of the questions tested on GMAT. What can help you the most is how consistent you are with your preparation and the implementation of the strategies.

Join anyone based on your budget and learn the strategies and then start implementing them on the real questions.

All the best :-)

Thanks for the feedback and great advice. I read your article and those were some great ideas as well. Congrats on being accepted and good luck on your MBA journey.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
Indeed knowing the concepts just isn't enough to do well on the exam.

We focus on thought process and try to remain consistent with approach to every question with an eye for what types of questions can expect - categorized in to 10 core frameworks.

Here's a shared Google doc of OG SC video links you may find helpful:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f_ckd ... H1HmTgctJI

You can learn more about GMAT Pill at:

https://www.gmatpill.com

You'll notice our approach is very strategic - some questions we can answer in < 30 seconds -- and it's because of the level of confidence we have in certain types of questions. This involves not reading portions of the sentence and even ignoring some answer choices without reading them fully.

This is the kind of strategy that sets us apart. You can also get a taste for our online question bank here:

https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test

A paid membership is required for our expert video explanations
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
jp28 wrote:
I'm comparing different online study courses, specifically e-GMAT and Manhattan Prep, but I'm curious to know which program helps the most with GMAT strategy. I feel like I have a solid base foundation understanding of principles, but I am lacking in question strategy and how to approach questions and better recognize patterns.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who offers the best course detailed towards test taking strategy and not just the basic fundamentals of rules and principles. Thanks for the help.

Hi,

Both the courses you mentioned are good, and there are few others also in the market. You can also check those. Basically, it is upto you how much you can extract from the courses. IMO e-gmat is more budget suited than Manhattan prep. Both teaches you great strategies, just the difference is how better you implement those. Consistency with a particular strategy is the key. Learn the strategy and apply consistently will take your he score to next level. Work on GMAT club as this club has good practice material from all the test prep companies.

QZ
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jp28,

From what you describe, your studies so far have been 'book heavy.' Unfortunately, many Test Takers who use a book heavy study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. It's unclear whether this has happened to you or not, but if it has, then you'll likely end up needing to invest in some new, non-book resources. When I asked about your CAT Scores, I really need to know the EXACT results (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores) for EACH CAT). That data helps to define whatever progress you may have made over the last 5 months and whether you have actually gotten stuck at a particular score level or not.

1) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot