Last visit was: 28 May 2024, 21:44 It is currently 28 May 2024, 21:44
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [8]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33148 [1]
Given Kudos: 4488
Send PM
Re: This is why you should not take GRE [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
­Interesting point.

The images could be better uploaded. How they show up is difficult to grasp the data!!!

Good job 
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Send PM
This is why you should not take GRE [#permalink]

TargetKellogg2024 wrote:
Hi Aanchal!

Thank you for your response.

I agree with you that the MBA admissions team take into consideration holistic profiles of people and there are aspects other than the GMAT or the GRE scores. However, if the same person were to submit the GMAT and GRE scores, the chances may differ (even though rest of the profile is kept constant).

What I intend to communicate through this post is that for the same person, a GMAT score of 750 is better than GRE score of 330. And for another candidate, a GRE score of 320 is better than GMAT score of 650.

TargetKellogg2024 I understand what you are trying to do but the context around WHO can sail through easily with a GRE is important here. I do not want the applicants to get confused and take home the message that one test is better than the other.  To put it simply, applicants must pick the test that helps them achieve the highest possible percentile in quant if the overall score is also not high. The GRE test is great for those candidates who come from diversity and non-quant-focused backgrounds.

To your point, a 750(old edition) is of course better than a 330. A 330 is more like a 730. A 335 is more like a 750. And adcoms are indifferent between a 335 or a 750 if everything else is equal. In the final rounds at competitive schools that are more geared toward applicants with high GMAT GRE scores, a 750 (GMAT OE) and a 335(GRE) have the same chance.

Between a score of 320(GRE) or 650(GMAT old edition), neither case would be favorable for someone from a crowded pool (because there will always be someone better). And for the non-crowded demographics, it really comes down to scores in each section, quantitative strengths, and strength of profile. I also have a hypothesis that candidates with weaker quant skills tend to apply with GRE scores. Adcoms will prefer those GRE candidates who have impressive diversity aspect but not necessarily a strong quantitative aprtitude over applicants from crowded pools applying with average GREs.  Also why GRE averages tend to signal a low number compared to GMAT. I would add here that the percentage composition of competitive MBA cohorts is created such that STEM and finance are about 2/3 rd of the class and make up a large portion of the population on the normal distribution. 

Therefore the Adcoms do not need to think so critically about GRE vs GMAT as a decision factor for similarly positioned profiles. 

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Send PM
Re: This is why you should not take GRE [#permalink]

Quote:
 TargetKellogg2024 I understand what you are trying to do but the context around WHO can sail through easily with a GRE is important here. I do not want the applicants to get confused and take home the message that one test is better than the other.  To put it simply, applicants must pick the test that helps them achieve the highest possible percentile in quant if the overall score is also not high. The GRE test is great for those candidates who come from diversity and non-quant-focused backgrounds.

To your point, a 750(old edition) is of course better than a 330. A 330 is more like a 730. A 335 is more like a 750. And adcoms are indifferent between a 335 or a 750 if everything else is equal. In the final rounds at competitive schools that are more geared toward applicants with high GMAT GRE scores, a 750 (GMAT OE) and a 335(GRE) have the same chance.

Between a score of 320(GRE) or 650(GMAT old edition), neither case would be favorable for someone from a crowded pool (because there will always be someone better). And for the non-crowded demographics, it really comes down to scores in each section, quantitative strengths, and strength of profile. I also have a hypothesis that candidates with weaker quant skills tend to apply with GRE scores. Adcoms will prefer those GRE candidates who have impressive diversity aspect but not necessarily a strong quantitative aprtitude over applicants from crowded pools applying with average GREs.  Also why GRE averages tend to signal a low number compared to GMAT. I would add here that the percentage composition of competitive MBA cohorts is created such that STEM and finance are about 2/3 rd of the class and make up a large portion of the population on the normal distribution. 

Therefore the Adcoms do not need to think so critically about GRE vs GMAT as a decision factor for similarly positioned profiles. 

Best wishes
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­

­
Hi Aanchal!

I agree with what you have mentioned.

I just want to mention that I am not comparing the chances of getting an admit or a reject solely bases on GMAT or GRE scores. What I am trying to communicate through my post is that if all other factors are kept constant, the person will have relatively higher chances of an admit if he submits a significantly higher GMAT score than if he submits a significantly higher GRE score. The basis of reasoning is that business schools want to increase their avg GRE and GMAT scores. And, a significantly higher GMAT score will increase the avg GMAT score of the whole batch significantly but a significantly higher GRE score would not change the class average significantly.

Similarly, if a person has an extraordinary profile, a lower than avergae GRE would be preferred over lower than average GMAT. Why? Because lower GMAT score could significantly bring down the class average but a lower GRE score woulf not have as much potent impact on the overall class average.

I hope this clears that I am not indicating the admission team's pyschological preference of one test over the other but logistical and quantitative reasoning for an adcom member to pick up one test over the other. After all, at the end of the day, average scores do matter!

To illustrate my case in point, below are Booth's stats as per US News' latest data:
  • GMAT range (10-90 percentile): 690-770
  • Avg GMAT: 728
  • GRE Q range (10-90 percentile): 158-169
  • GRE Q average: 163
690 on GMAT is around the 85th percentile whereas 158 in GRE Q is at the 55th percentile. Though GRE and GMAT percentiles can not be compared one-to-one, it is to be noted that the range for GRE percentiles is 55-95 and for GMAT it is 85-99. 

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [1]
Send PM
Kudos

TargetKellogg2024 wrote:
Quote:

Best wishes

­
Hi Aanchal!

I agree with what you have mentioned.

I just want to mention that I am not comparing the chances of getting an admit or a reject solely bases on GMAT or GRE scores. What I am trying to communicate through my post is that if all other factors are kept constant, the person will have relatively higher chances of an admit if he submits a significantly higher GMAT score than if he submits a significantly higher GRE score. The basis of reasoning is that business schools want to increase their avg GRE and GMAT scores. And, a significantly higher GMAT score will increase the avg GMAT score of the whole batch significantly but a significantly higher GRE score would not change the class average significantly.

Similarly, if a person has an extraordinary profile, a lower than avergae GRE would be preferred over lower than average GMAT. Why? Because lower GMAT score could significantly bring down the class average but a lower GRE score woulf not have as much potent impact on the overall class average.

I hope this clears that I am not indicating the admission team's pyschological preference of one test over the other but logistical and quantitative reasoning for an adcom member to pick up one test over the other. After all, at the end of the day, average scores do matter!

To illustrate my case in point, below are Booth's stats as per US News' latest data:

• GMAT range (10-90 percentile): 690-770
  • Avg GMAT: 728
  • GRE Q range (10-90 percentile): 158-169
  • GRE Q average: 163
690 on GMAT is around the 85th percentile whereas 158 in GRE Q is at the 55th percentile. Though GRE and GMAT percentiles can not be compared one-to-one, it is to be noted that the range for GRE percentiles is 55-95 and for GMAT it is 85-99. 

­@TargetKellogg2024  challenged you in the spirit of good discussion. Your efforts are appreciated, keep it up! :)

Best wishes
GMAT Club Bot