Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [2]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online vs In Person [#permalink]
Kudos
Both are same! Each experience differently in conditions that may not be suitable. One who gets distracted easily may be able to focus less hence will find it difficult to answer questions quickly. Additional to that, it may also be the entire stress level one faces as it can be intimidating to be in an exam room.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I would say that when I use my personal laptop for GMAT online, my laptop was not good enough/have good processing power so it did affect my performance a bit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Stanstan wrote:
I would say that when I use my personal laptop for GMAT online, my laptop was not good enough/have good processing power so it did affect my performance a bit

That is good feedback. Thank you so much for sharing. Can you let us know what your computer specifications are? That way we can kind of Judge what would be a better set up.

Posted from my mobile device

I dont have the specific setup but I remember it is a 3 yrs old dell XPS 13. I had no issue runing the practice tests, but it take a second or more to process each time I click; gave me the most trouble when writing the essay as the delay is very annoying. I think it might due to the whatever proctor software they need to run in the background
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
bb wrote:
There are many stories. It is the same. There are many people who have taken both versions days apart, and received exactly the same or very similar scores.

Check out the share GMAT experience sub forum. You’ll find many stories of people taking it online and at the test center with pretty much the same result. We even had people do this at the very beginning of GMAT online and pretty much the amswer has always been- it’s the same and there are no differences in scores, just the setting at home versus at the test center.

One item to point out, difficulty and score or different concepts. Someone may say their test was difficult and they got a 700 and someone else may say their test was not so difficult and they got a 700. The perception of difficulty and scoring are very unreliable because they are perceptions. The only, reliable indicator is the score

Keep in mind, we have also had people who have taken a test at home and then re-took it in 16 days and got 40 points more or XX less. There is a variance based on personal factors as well as question sequence factors. Sometimes you get the topic you really know and sometimes you get the one you don’t know early in the test. There will be a difference in multiple attempts, but we have not seen any proof that one version is easier than the other or that you can get a higher score on one versus another

Thank you! Do you happen to know in exam centers if you placed right next to someone or is there a lot of spacing in the test center? Also, how many people are generally in the test center?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Quote:
Thank you! Do you happen to know in exam centers if you placed right next to someone or is there a lot of spacing in the test center? Also, how many people are generally in the test center?

You could try to call your test center to get an idea what their layout and student traffic is like. Wouldn't be surprising for there to be more traffic on weekends, for example.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
One other thing, at the test center, you can get earplugs. Made it a sitters, offer, noise canceling headphones, or earplugs.

This is not something you can use for the test at home, but it helps quite a bit at the test center to get rid of the noise and get into the zone.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Stanstan wrote:

That is good feedback. Thank you so much for sharing. Can you let us know what your computer specifications are? That way we can kind of Judge what would be a better set up.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:

There is a fair amount of space. You sit in a cubicle type of thing. At the same time, you are sitting with other people.

The number of people in a test center varies, but it can be 20 or more.

You can see pictures of test centers by doing an online search and going to the Images results.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Online vs In Person [#permalink]
A quick tip for the Online is to keep a spare marker next to your eraser just in case your primary one runs out. Preparing your snacks beforehand and perhaps sticking a note outside your door "Do not Enter! Exam In Progress" could be helpful, too.

This person gave it Online both times. They mention "...If you're doing GMAT Online, take it on the time you are the most focused; in my case, since I am a night owl, I took it around 7.30 p.m.; this is one advantage that you can't get from a test center"
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
HI woohoo921,

I see there are some great answers here. Additionally, you may find it helpful to check out the following article:

GMAT Online vs. In Person: Which Should I Take?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Also please note that there are at least few schools that do not accept online scores at all.

Hence, it is a safter option, in my opinion, to give the exam at the center.
GMAT Club Bot