Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths [#permalink]
newyork2012 wrote:
AkshdeepS wrote:
newyork2012 wrote:
I just took practice exam 1

i read the very first question wrong ,,lol it cost me 8 min ,and i had to give up eventually

overall , i thought it was not terribly hard

my question : how's this maths section compared to the real test ? about same ? easier ??

please advise

thanks

On actual GMAT, Quant will be a bit higher in difficulty as per reviews from students who have given GMAT recently.

thanks a lot for your reply ... I'm aiming for a Q 50/51 .. guess i need to work harder

If you can avoid the initial mistakes i.e. in first 10 to 12 questions and mistakes in continuity, then you can score Q 50 even after getting 5 to 6 questions wrong. But you cant afford to lose on easy questions by doing silly mistakes..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
maths was always my best subject in mid&high school ... but i'm old ...lol

have not touched maths for almost 2 decades ...kinda rusty ,but still confident ...just need to pick up a lot maths vocabulary and work more on my weaknesses

Thanks again for taking time to give me advice
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi newyork2012,

Many Test Takers are a bit 'rusty' on some of the Quant/Verbal subjects that appear on the GMAT, so you are not alone. Thankfully, there are a limited number of subjects that you'll see on Test Day, so you CAN train to properly face them all. It's worth noting that the Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test'; it's a critical thinking test that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. To score at a significantly higher level in the Quant section (and thus, overall), while you'll certainly need the essential math knowledge and the ability to do math 'by hand', you'll also need to become more of a strategist - and change how you "see" (and respond to) that section of the Test.

Before I can offer you any additional advice about how you might proceed with your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT practice exam 1 - maths [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi newyork2012,

Many Test Takers are a bit 'rusty' on some of the Quant/Verbal subjects that appear on the GMAT, so you are not alone. Thankfully, there are a limited number of subjects that you'll see on Test Day, so you CAN train to properly face them all. It's worth noting that the Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test'; it's a critical thinking test that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. To score at a significantly higher level in the Quant section (and thus, overall), while you'll certainly need the essential math knowledge and the ability to do math 'by hand', you'll also need to become more of a strategist - and change how you "see" (and respond to) that section of the Test.

Before I can offer you any additional advice about how you might proceed with your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thanks for the reply ..

My question was/is very simple ... Is the maths section in Practice exam 1,2 easier than the real thing ?

As for the preparation , I have not touched OG Quant yet. Other Chinese test takers have told me that OG Q section is way too easy...it covers only the basics . Well, I'm not like them who basically would only spend one-week preparation on Maths . Old age plays a huge part ..lol

Still , if Practice exam 1,2 can represent the real thing , then I'm totally relieved . A bit more practice will do it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi newyork2012,

Since the GMAT is an adaptive Exam - and there are a variety of factors that can influence your performance on Test Day - you cannot refer to just one sample Quant section of a practice CAT as being representative of exactly what you will face on the Official GMAT. You did not state how you actually scored on this CAT - and if your math skills are 'rusty' (meaning that you made a lot of little mistakes and scored at a lower level) - then what you could see at the Q50/Q51 level will likely be far more challenging.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Update : you were right

I could only get a Q50 in the rest test ... never used og ..way too easy and basic
should have tried more of Manhattan maths

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi newyork2012,

Since the GMAT is an adaptive Exam - and there are a variety of factors that can influence your performance on Test Day - you cannot refer to just one sample Quant section of a practice CAT as being representative of exactly what you will face on the Official GMAT. You did not state how you actually scored on this CAT - and if your math skills are 'rusty' (meaning that you made a lot of little mistakes and scored at a lower level) - then what you could see at the Q50/Q51 level will likely be far more challenging.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
newyork2012 wrote:

I could only get a Q50 in the rest test ... never used og ..way too easy and basic
If you can get a Q50, you can almost certainly get a Q51. What was your total score?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
A bit over 700

Retake in a month

Happy new year

AjiteshArun wrote:
newyork2012 wrote:

If you can get a Q50, you can almost certainly get a Q51. What was your total score?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
newyork2012 wrote:
A bit over 700

Retake in a month

Happy new year
That's a very good score! Happy New Year, and all the best for the retake.
GMAT Club Bot