GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 13:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT practice exam 1 - maths

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 105
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 23:16
I just took practice exam 1

i read the very first question wrong ,,lol it cost me 8 min ,and i had to give up eventually

overall , i thought it was not terribly hard

my question : how's this maths section compared to the real test ? about same ? easier ??

please advise

thanks
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1688
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 23:21
newyork2012 wrote:
I just took practice exam 1

i read the very first question wrong ,,lol it cost me 8 min ,and i had to give up eventually

overall , i thought it was not terribly hard

my question : how's this maths section compared to the real test ? about same ? easier ??

please advise

thanks


On actual GMAT, Quant will be a bit higher in difficulty as per reviews from students who have given GMAT recently.
_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 105
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 23:27
AkshdeepS wrote:
newyork2012 wrote:
I just took practice exam 1

i read the very first question wrong ,,lol it cost me 8 min ,and i had to give up eventually

overall , i thought it was not terribly hard

my question : how's this maths section compared to the real test ? about same ? easier ??

please advise

thanks


On actual GMAT, Quant will be a bit higher in difficulty as per reviews from students who have given GMAT recently.



thanks a lot for your reply ... I'm aiming for a Q 50/51 .. guess i need to work harder
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1688
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 23:32
newyork2012 wrote:
AkshdeepS wrote:
newyork2012 wrote:
I just took practice exam 1

i read the very first question wrong ,,lol it cost me 8 min ,and i had to give up eventually

overall , i thought it was not terribly hard

my question : how's this maths section compared to the real test ? about same ? easier ??

please advise

thanks


On actual GMAT, Quant will be a bit higher in difficulty as per reviews from students who have given GMAT recently.



thanks a lot for your reply ... I'm aiming for a Q 50/51 .. guess i need to work harder


If you can avoid the initial mistakes i.e. in first 10 to 12 questions and mistakes in continuity, then you can score Q 50 even after getting 5 to 6 questions wrong. But you cant afford to lose on easy questions by doing silly mistakes..
_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 105
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 23:41
maths was always my best subject in mid&high school ... but i'm old ...lol

have not touched maths for almost 2 decades ...kinda rusty ,but still confident ...just need to pick up a lot maths vocabulary and work more on my weaknesses

Thanks again for taking time to give me advice
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 14389
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 11:21
Hi newyork2012,

Many Test Takers are a bit 'rusty' on some of the Quant/Verbal subjects that appear on the GMAT, so you are not alone. Thankfully, there are a limited number of subjects that you'll see on Test Day, so you CAN train to properly face them all. It's worth noting that the Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test'; it's a critical thinking test that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. To score at a significantly higher level in the Quant section (and thus, overall), while you'll certainly need the essential math knowledge and the ability to do math 'by hand', you'll also need to become more of a strategist - and change how you "see" (and respond to) that section of the Test.

Before I can offer you any additional advice about how you might proceed with your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 105
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 17:43
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi newyork2012,

Many Test Takers are a bit 'rusty' on some of the Quant/Verbal subjects that appear on the GMAT, so you are not alone. Thankfully, there are a limited number of subjects that you'll see on Test Day, so you CAN train to properly face them all. It's worth noting that the Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test'; it's a critical thinking test that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. To score at a significantly higher level in the Quant section (and thus, overall), while you'll certainly need the essential math knowledge and the ability to do math 'by hand', you'll also need to become more of a strategist - and change how you "see" (and respond to) that section of the Test.

Before I can offer you any additional advice about how you might proceed with your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Thanks for the reply ..

My question was/is very simple ... Is the maths section in Practice exam 1,2 easier than the real thing ?

As for the preparation , I have not touched OG Quant yet. Other Chinese test takers have told me that OG Q section is way too easy...it covers only the basics . Well, I'm not like them who basically would only spend one-week preparation on Maths . Old age plays a huge part ..lol

Still , if Practice exam 1,2 can represent the real thing , then I'm totally relieved . A bit more practice will do it.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 14389
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 23:26
Hi newyork2012,

Since the GMAT is an adaptive Exam - and there are a variety of factors that can influence your performance on Test Day - you cannot refer to just one sample Quant section of a practice CAT as being representative of exactly what you will face on the Official GMAT. You did not state how you actually scored on this CAT - and if your math skills are 'rusty' (meaning that you made a lot of little mistakes and scored at a lower level) - then what you could see at the Q50/Q51 level will likely be far more challenging.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 105
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 00:29
Update : you were right

I could only get a Q50 in the rest test ... never used og ..way too easy and basic
should have tried more of Manhattan maths


EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi newyork2012,

Since the GMAT is an adaptive Exam - and there are a variety of factors that can influence your performance on Test Day - you cannot refer to just one sample Quant section of a practice CAT as being representative of exactly what you will face on the Official GMAT. You did not state how you actually scored on this CAT - and if your math skills are 'rusty' (meaning that you made a lot of little mistakes and scored at a lower level) - then what you could see at the Q50/Q51 level will likely be far more challenging.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2784
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 23:43
newyork2012 wrote:
Update : you were right

I could only get a Q50 in the rest test ... never used og ..way too easy and basic
should have tried more of Manhattan maths
If you can get a Q50, you can almost certainly get a Q51. What was your total score?
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 105
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 00:20
A bit over 700

Retake in a month

Happy new year


AjiteshArun wrote:
newyork2012 wrote:
Update : you were right

I could only get a Q50 in the rest test ... never used og ..way too easy and basic
should have tried more of Manhattan maths
If you can get a Q50, you can almost certainly get a Q51. What was your total score?


Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2784
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 01:54
newyork2012 wrote:
A bit over 700

Retake in a month

Happy new year
That's a very good score! Happy New Year, and all the best for the retake.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT practice exam 1 - maths   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2019, 01:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT practice exam 1 - maths

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep



Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne