Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [3]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 389 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: GMAT score stuck below 600, Need help [#permalink]
Kudos
Go for a course.
Egmat for verbal.
And ttp for quant.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
GMAT score stuck below 600, Need help [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Prithvi,

GMAT club is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, and many more.

Your current mock score is shaky. You can schedule a Comprehensive counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 30 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on your current study plans.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• Not detailed knowledge of GMAT Math pattern and Question types
• Inefficiency by using time-consuming Conventional method to tackle DS and PS questions still
• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

Precisely, there has to be one end-to-end solution encompassing all the points mentioned above. We also want to understand your approach to solving PS and DS questions. You can try our free diagnostic test https://www.mathrevolution.com/diagnostic/dtExamMember and receive a comprehensive study guide by topic. This test will clearly help you understand your weak areas.

Your study plan will now change as you are already ready with the vital concepts and their application. The diagnostic test report will give us detailed insight into various topics and your performance. After an in-depth analysis, we will draw out the category of the topics in which you are already better and those where you need more improvement. Also, we will be able to compare your performance while solving the PS and DS questions.

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve a score of 700 or 700+. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

The possible score combinations for 700 or 700 +: Q should be Q 46, 47, 48, and V should be V38, 39, 40.

We recommend that you must learn the Variable Approach for solving DS questions and the IVY approach for solving PS questions in order to improve your accuracy and save time while solving the question types.

The most important for you will be learning and commanding the Variable Approach for DS questions and IVY Approach for PS questions. These approaches are the robust self-designed time-saving techniques that will help you learn efficiently, thus raising your score in the quick nick of time.

Register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank are separately available, too. Start with the learning of the concepts. Make a habit of taking notes during the initial learning of the concepts.

After registering, you will have access to the practice section. Initially, try solving the DS and/or PS questions from very easy and easy category questions on the topic(s) you have learned. You may also connect with one of our experts to get one of the best tutoring supports, which will help understand the topic(s) and solve questions and learn how to manage time and accuracy.

Adding to the same, mastery of the Variable Approach to solve DS questions and the IVY approach to solve PS questions would add a feather to the cap. Below is the useful link we will recommend you to visit on GMAT club to experience the power of DS and IVY approaches.

Ultimate Q51 guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate ... l#p1613600

Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Math Revolution Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Prithvi08,

To start, studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. In addition, you've clearly made some nice improvements since your took your initial CAT/mock - so you have the capacity to learn new skills and improve. That having been said, from what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy." Unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks?

Goals:
3) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
4) While you're not planning to apply to Business School for at least a couple of years, do you have a tentative list of the Schools that interest you?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT score stuck below 600, Need help [#permalink]
Kudos
Prithvi08 wrote:
Hey all,

Okay so I graduated last November ( would've been earlier but covid so you know). I started preparing for Gmat properly in December with my plan being to crack it as soon as possible and start hunting for a job, but unfortunately this task is turning out to be pretty tough.
I gave 4 mocks till now, the first one was the Offical gmat mock, which I gave after 3 weeks of studying. The score shocked me and I quickly understood that I can't go on like this. I then bought the ALL THE GMAT book set from Manhattan prep. This helped me a lot, it solved so many of my doubts and taught me various strategies. The mock scores were as follows

1) Official Mock1 -490 (Q38,V21)
2) Manhattan CAT 1- 570 (Q37,V31)
3) Manhattan CAT 2- 580 (Q41,V29)
4) Manhattan CAT 3- 560 (Q38,V29)

Now I must add that in the first 2 Manhattan mocks I made a mistake of pausing once for 2-3 seconds during the quant section ( The questions were tricky and the solving was taking a lot of my time so I had to take a few deep breaths to tackle the anxiety). The MCAT 2 I took just 10 days after the first one so maybe that's why I couldn't see much improvement

Yesterday I took the MCAT3, which is worrying me the most because I took this after a month (I was busy with another exam which I had during that time though). This time I did not pause and took it properly, though some construction work was happening outside so I had to wear earplugs throughout the verbal section. The paper started well, but in the end I fell short on time. In each section I had to randomly tick the last 4-5 questions, didn't even get to read them.
The good thing about MCAT is it shows what score you would get if you had ended it at that question. Before the last 4 questions my score was on a Q43 and V34 but it fell drastically by the end. I knew how to solve those last 4 :(

I thought I would be able to handle this by myself but now I feel an online course is necessary.
What do you all feel should my next steps be? Which course would be best? and how does one tackle these timing issues? Pls help

(PS- I have another exam coming up this month so I might have to take a break from gmat for a few days but I am ready to sit unemployed for a little more time as handling both will be too much for me . I'm plan on doing my MBA after a few years so no specific list of colleges in mind for now. Just one goal- a 700 score)

Thanks for hearing me out :)

Hi Prithvi08,

I suggest you to stop giving mocks for now and focus on getting your prep right. When I started preparing, even my mock scores were inconsistent and were mostly around 600 range. But I didn't know what else to study as I have finished learning the concepts and practiced questions from various sources. I eventually gave the test and could score only 570.

That's when I got in touch with a mentor and realized that there's lot more than just the concepts to learn for GMAT. I started focusing on the approach and the methodology and I started seeing the results. I eventually improved my score to 720. You can go through my debrief below to understand a few tips.

Debrief of My journey from 570 to 680 to 720:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-f ... l#p2648110

I suggest you to choose a right resource to study which can help you with the methodology and which can help you to work on your weak areas. I personally used GMATWhiz course after my first attempt of 570. You can check that out. All the best :)

Originally posted by vamshikaithi on 04 Mar 2021, 22:22.
Last edited by vamshikaithi on 05 Mar 2021, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
vamshikaithi
Will do
You just gave me hope that I too can achieve the 700 mark
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Prithvi08,

While it may seem a bit far-reaching at this point, since you know that you want to apply to some highly-competitive Schools at some point, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

The self-analysis in your last post essentially defines all of the immediate 'issues' that you are facing when you take your CATs - and you'll ultimately need to address those issue head-on and 'fix' them before you will be able to consistently score at a higher level. As an aside, many GMATers become too fixated on the 'implied level' of the questions that they're working on - instead of what really matters: defining WHY they're getting questions wrong and becoming more efficient at approaching the overall Exam. It's also worth noting that just because a 3rd party describes a question as "700 level" does not necessarily make it so. Based on your CAT results, you shouldn't be focusing on 'upper level' questions - you're losing too many points on the 'gettable' questions. Thankfully, the GMAT is the same consistent, predictable Exam that it's always been, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The key word there is "train" though; it's likely that if you continue to keep approaching the Quant and Verbal sections in the same ways that you currently do, then you will continue to score at the same general level.

1) Since you appear to working on another Degree right now, I understand that your available study time for the GMAT might be limited (or might vary from week-to-week). However, to properly plan out this next phase of your studies, we need to define (even generally), your available study time. Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thankyou for replying so quickly
I'm actually doing another masters degree on the side right now so that the work gap doesn't look that bad.
My plan is to give it my all to GMAT till May and then join the workforce

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Thankyou for the suggestions, I agree that I need a new approach to my study pattern now
Okay so now coming to your questions

1) I didn't study on an hourly basis actually. My aim was to do 60 questions per day ,quants (PS-30 DS-30) and Verbal (RC-4 SC-20 CR-20). I did quants and verbal on alternate days .

2) Official Mock- 27th December
MCAT1- 24th Jan
MCAT2- 4th Feb
MCAT3- 3rd March

3) I plan on taking it at home

4) I want to try for the Top 15 Business Schools

The problem with me in Quants is that I know how to tackle most of the questions but I start panicking and forget a few tricks that I have learnt and go back to my old lengthy methods. I also for some reason don't let go of questions that I find tough and when I do it's too late. Before my recent mock I focused primarily on my weak points, which have improved by the way but now I'm making silly mistakes in others. In fact I have even solved right and ticked wrong a few times.

Verbal- RC and SC are a weakness. So I started solving only 700 level passages and now I have around 70% accuracy in that but my CR accuracy was low this time (I blame my timing issues and that construction noise). SC I'm comfortable only with the 600 level questions, no drop or improvement in that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
And thankyou everyone for the great suggestions and tips. Means a lot :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Prithvi08,

I'm glad you reached out and I'm happy to help. Regarding your current situation, I agree that you should push back your GMAT, study longer, and take it once you are truly ready to do so.

Regarding how to move forward, since you have been studying for some time and have yet to break 600, you need to ensure that you are following a GMAT study plan that allows you to learn GMAT quant and verbal from the ground up. In other words, follow a study plan that allows you to learn each GMAT quant and verbal topic individually and then practice each topic until you've gained mastery. Let me expand on this idea further.

If you are learning about Number Properties, you should develop as much conceptual knowledge about Number Properties as possible. In other words, your goal will be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions, practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills.
Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see, types that you would rather not see, and types that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

Follow a similar routine for verbal. For example, let’s say you start by learning about Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to fully master the individual topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken The Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn about each question type, do focused practice, so that you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and instead focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and thereby comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you read a paragraph, consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect Reading Comprehension answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. Keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be easy to read. So, to better prepare yourself to analyze such passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the New York Times, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, you likely will have to work on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not really a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning the grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending less than two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer. As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns clearly refer to nouns? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and none of those reasons are that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answers were always the ones that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

As for the third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct, what you do, the main thing you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey logical meanings. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice until you start to see the differences that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to take the time to see the differences between answers and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you answer Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. Are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off, and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did to arrive at that answer and what you could do differently to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could do differently to extend your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regimens, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your skills improve, you will want to practice with questions that test you on skills from multiple Sentence Correction topics.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses. You also may find it helpful to read the following article about The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot