Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Hi everyone!just quick question, i've read/solved the Quantitative preparation set of MGMAT within 3 days.Almost everything(except the sufficiency problems) was familiar to me, so i didn't have any difficulties solving them. However, i'm not sure if i'm on the right way, since according to your study suggestions I am supposed to spend about a month working on quantitative part. I was actually planning to start studying the verbal part and to solving tough math questions, since the verbal part is my weakness(i'm non-native speaker).So couldn't you please give me any advice regarding what i should better do now? I guess you are more experienced in it than i am)Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pikachu wrote:
vugi wrote:
Hi everyone!just quick question, i've read/solved the Quantitative preparation set of MGMAT within 3 days.Almost everything(except the sufficiency problems) was familiar to me, so i didn't have any difficulties solving them. However, i'm not sure if i'm on the right way, since according to your study suggestions I am supposed to spend about a month working on quantitative part. I was actually planning to start studying the verbal part and to solving tough math questions, since the verbal part is my weakness(i'm non-native speaker).So couldn't you please give me any advice regarding what i should better do now? I guess you are more experienced in it than i am)Thanks in advance.

Hi Vugi,

The one month suggestions is based on an average test taker's experience. Most people need that much time to go through Quant. But if you were able to cover it in 3 days with enough confidence then good for you. I would suggest you take a quick prep test to see if you are scoring in the high 40 range for Quant to assess your skill levels. If not then you may need to dig deeper and figure out areas where you are weak in the quant section. If you score good then move on to verbal and focus on that part.

hi pikachu, thanks for quick response. i have just taken the gmat club free test on quant and got :Valid answers:28 / 37Session score:98% / Q51Average answer:1 min 56 secTotal time:71 min 54 sec. i guess chatting on skype and scoring so high at the same time is some kind not reliable. Do you know if this test reliable enough?I can hardly believe it could of relevant difficulty.Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vugi wrote:
pikachu wrote:
vugi wrote:

Hi Vugi,

The one month suggestions is based on an average test taker's experience. Most people need that much time to go through Quant. But if you were able to cover it in 3 days with enough confidence then good for you. I would suggest you take a quick prep test to see if you are scoring in the high 40 range for Quant to assess your skill levels. If not then you may need to dig deeper and figure out areas where you are weak in the quant section. If you score good then move on to verbal and focus on that part.

hi pikachu, thanks for quick response. i have just taken the gmat club free test on quant and got :Valid answers:28 / 37Session score:98% / Q51Average answer:1 min 56 secTotal time:71 min 54 sec. i guess chatting on skype and scoring so high at the same time is some kind not reliable. Do you know if this test reliable enough?I can hardly believe it could of relevant difficulty.Thanks in advance.

I haven't taken the GMAT club tests so don't know anything about them. The other thing that comes to mind is if you have the official guide go through the Diagnostic test at the beginning of the guide. If you get most right you are on the right track. Good Luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
New Year Wishes to Everyone!!

I have question on GMAT strategy. How would you recommend study plan for a month? I have all one month to myself (read GMAT) but nothing after that.
Apologies to those who find it blasphemous..but I need to do it in a month. One's with "U need more time" Sorry I am not addressing the query to you..
Only crackers with a yes may please share strategies/ study plans/suggestions/own experiences (of success only).
I am looking for 'go for it' strategies . I have browsed through the content nd I am am fairly fine with both quant and verbal.
All I have is a complete month nd lots of fire...
Awaiting inputs ..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Shini1 wrote:

I have question on GMAT strategy. How would you recommend study plan for a month? I have all one month to myself (read GMAT) but nothing after that.
Apologies to those who find it blasphemous..but I need to do it in a month. One's with "U need more time" Sorry I am not addressing the query to you..
Only crackers with a yes may please share strategies/ study plans/suggestions/own experiences (of success only).
I am looking for 'go for it' strategies . I have browsed through the content nd I am am fairly fine with both quant and verbal.
Awaiting inputs ..

Shini,

Without knowing whether you can focus on studying for GMAT full time or part time during this month its hard to tell. Better off start with GMAT prep exam see where you are and focus on your weakest area.

pikachu
PS: kudos please if you like my post
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
pikachu wrote:
Shini1 wrote:

Awaiting inputs ..

Shini,

Without knowing whether you can focus on studying for GMAT full time or part time during this month its hard to tell. Better off start with GMAT prep exam see where you are and focus on your weakest area.

pikachu
PS: kudos please if you like my post

Thanks for the inputs pikachu.. I can study full time during the said period.. ny more ideas pls?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone!
I need an advice re the preparation.
I have taken the Manh.GMAT Adaptive test and got Q47 and V34 (didn't answer the last 3 questions in each section). It seems that Quantitative part is not tough and i can improve it simply practicing and analyzing the tests. In contrast, I have real problems with the Verbal part(mainly in SC and RC) and timing strategy. The problem now is that I have already finished all the ManhGMAT books and i am not sure how i can improve my verbal score. Can someone suggest any preparation strategy to improve the score?I need to get the score above 700.Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
By the way, i have only one month left till the first GMAT Exam. Any suggestions so far?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi there,

As a non native English speaker I want to start with building my English grammar foundation for the sentence correction part.

It seems most popular are the following, but in what sequence?

1)Aristotle HG 3rd Ed

and them possibly 2)Manhattan SC?

I am relatively weak in this area and need to start from scratch before I attempt any questions.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi bb,

I am about to start my GMAT preparation and I am planning to buy MGMAT set and OG 13. For 1st month I am going to cover Quant part and in 2nd Verbal part.

But before that I am thinking to give a GMAT test so that I can analyze myself and target the sections. Could you please suggest the source from where I can download the test or I can give online test.

As everyone I am also targeting 700+.

Would you recommend Kaplan books? If so could you please suggest which book(s) would be useful? As I can see so many books by Kaplan so could not decide.

Overall I would have OG 13, MGMAT Books set and Kaplan.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,

I would need some guidance regarding the study plan and books. I will appear for the test at end of March'13.
I am targeting 700+ score.
As of now:
I have completed MGMAT study material
Please suggest-
1. Which other books I should do to achieve the target?
for - Quant
- RC
- SC
- CR
- From where can I practice more questions for aforesaid topics?
2. When Should I start taking the tests and how many tests should I take ?
3. Which tests series (Kaplan/ MGMAT/ or anyother ) would be the best to achieve 700+ score?
4. Any other suggestions or Study plan - i should follow - Keeping in mind - I have couple of months to appear for the tests.

Thanks Much.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 490 Q44 V15
GMAT 2: 590 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Quote:
if you don't know the underlying principles that GMAT is testing (such as grammar, arithmetic, etc) there is no use in solving hundreds of questions or taking multiple GMAT tests. This means that if English is not your native language, you should not work on the RC strategies if you can't understand half of the passage - you need to get comfortable reading long passages of text before moving on.

make me impressed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
SahniManish1985 wrote:
Hi,

I would need some guidance regarding the study plan and books. I will appear for the test at end of March'13.
I am targeting 700+ score.
As of now:
I have completed MGMAT study material
Please suggest-
1. Which other books I should do to achieve the target?
for - Quant
- RC
- SC
- CR
- From where can I practice more questions for aforesaid topics?
2. When Should I start taking the tests and how many tests should I take ?
3. Which tests series (Kaplan/ MGMAT/ or anyother ) would be the best to achieve 700+ score?
4. Any other suggestions or Study plan - i should follow - Keeping in mind - I have couple of months to appear for the tests.

Thanks Much.

Manish,
Did you try taking a CAT?If not,then you should take a CAT immediately to establish your current score level and your strengths,weaknesses etc.For the material,MGMAT is pretty good though there are a lot of other factors involved for a 700+ score.Also,you can look at the reviews of all the prep companies(Main Forum) here and make your own decision.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Send PM
Hey chief,

Quick update:

Been 2 weeks now, started a tutorial program in Madras, India. My question is related to what my plan should look like to maximise the time that I have. After the 1st 2 weeks, (during which time Ive been doing Quant mainly) i've become really paranoid because I feel that i do not have enough time. What questions must I answer to be able to map out a schedule that gives me clarity of what to focus on?

I do not believe that the 1st test (GMAT prep) i took was an accurate measure of my ability. It was the first exam, i had taken in 5 years and quite frankly I just wanted it done with. I finished both sections with 15 minutes remaining on the clock respectively (I scored a 400). Given the time and enough practice it is possible (or so i believe) to ace the quant section. When i started my program, it took my 30 to 45 minutes to solve a question but after revising the concept again; i am able to solve it 4-5 minutes. All this within 2 weeks. So maybe im just disillusioned but I think i can get a 700 easily. My exam is on the 17th of July - approximately 3 months from today.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Vidyuth
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I took the test last year and scored 600 ( Q41 V31). I plan on taking it again in Aug.
I just went through the 3 month study plan, however, I would like to know, if it'd make sense to do verbal and quant together?
That is, utilizing each month for a different verbal topic ( For eg, Month 1- SC, Month 2- RC and Month 3- CR), and simultaneously doing quant topics over a period of 3 months?

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Hi bb,
Hope you're doing well...!

Sent you a PM related to Study plan and GMAT prep.Would you please come up with your expert's feedback...?

Really appreciate your help as always.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
debayan222 wrote:
Hi bb,
Hope you're doing well...!

Sent you a PM related to Study plan and GMAT prep.Would you please come up with your expert's feedback...?

Really appreciate your help as always.

Hi bb,
Any update on this Sir ? Did you get to see my PM on this?

Eagerly awaiting your reply.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  42