Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
Schools: Wharton '22
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 800 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy? [#permalink]
Kudos
DutchDude555 wrote:
Hey all,

got my GMAT test on the 10th of December. I haven't studied yet and want to order the most efficient books today. I am primarily concerned with acing my GMAT Quant section.

I already found a book set which has all of the GMAT sections covered, which is the "Complete GMATstrategy Guide Set" by "Manhattan Prep", which is aligned to the 2015 official GMAC guide. Is this set still relevant and useful to me?

I thank you for any help! Kinda clueless about the best GMAT study books still.

DutchDude555
Check below link for quant study book recommendations
https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... 35162.html
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Re: GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi DutchDude555,

Welcome to gmatclub! You'll need a study plan, so you might find this thread useful:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html

It has all info for the beginners.

Hope this helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
Welcome to GC!

Since you want to focus more on GMAT Quant, it would be nice if you make a note of the following points.
1) GMAT Quant is a reasoning test NOT a math test. Having said that it would be nice that you have the foundation of math basic concepts. You could refer to a book by MGMAT, "foundations of math".

2) You could refer to the individual strategy guide of Quant to develop an understanding of various topics and specially how to approach these questions in less time.

3) Once you have spent enough time laying a foundation & improving your understanding of the various topics then you may do a MGMAT advanced quant book.

4) GMAT OG questions are like gold mine. Try to do sets of 20-30 questions daily from OG under timed conditions. (Kindly note that there is a main OG & a seprate Quant & Verbal OG).

5) You may like to practice more of data sufficiency questions. These questions are specific to GMAT. You may like to refer to the following post for better understanding :-
https://gmatclub.com/forum/data-suffici ... ufficiency

6) Periodically (once a week) take a mock to evaluate your weak areas and keep working on them.

All the best in your prep!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for the quick responses guys! Really appreciate you :)

I found a seller nearby selling the 5th edition Manhattan Prep 1 to 9 books in good condition for just 30 dollars. Are these 5th edition books still usable to me?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DutchDude555,

Based on what you have posted, I assume that your Score Goal is 700+. That Score is approximately the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to earn that type of Score. By extension, there are NO study materials that can 'guarantee' you that type of result. This is meant to say that while you could certainly begin your studies with some books, you will likely need some additional non-book practice materials to earn a 700+ on Test Day.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
DutchDude555 wrote:
Thank you for the quick responses guys! Really appreciate you :)

I found a seller nearby selling the 5th edition Manhattan Prep 1 to 9 books in good condition for just 30 dollars. Are these 5th edition books still usable to me?
Yes. The GMAT exam has not changed substantially in terms of the concepts it tests, so you should be fine studying from good sources.

A few other changes have been introduced, though. You can read about them here, here, and here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I will look up material this week and make my first CAT next week, unfortunately no time to do so throughout the week.
700-740. 700 is truly the lowest score that I want.

I will apply by the end of December.

I plan to apply to the LSE (MSc Finance / MSc Finance & Accounting), HEC Paris (MSc Finance / MSc Management (Grande Ecole), St. Gallen (MSc Banking & Finance), Bocconi (MSc Finance), Essec (MSc Finance)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DutchDude555,

If you have 3-4 months of potential study time, then you could potentially improve a great deal. Once we have your initial practice CAT Score, we'll be better able to plan out how best to proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22064 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DutchDude555,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, although you could use books for your GMAT prep, I’ve found that my students are more successful when using an online self-study course. Self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. The ability to track your progress will keep you more engaged, and you’ll be able to more accurately forecast when you’re ready to take your real GMAT.

You may want to take a look at the top-rated quant courses here on GMAT Club. You also may find it helpful to read this article about How to Increase Your GMAT Quant Score.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.
GMAT Club Bot