GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 08:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 06:31
Hey all,

got my GMAT test on the 10th of December. I haven't studied yet and want to order the most efficient books today. I am primarily concerned with acing my GMAT Quant section.

I already found a book set which has all of the GMAT sections covered, which is the "Complete GMATstrategy Guide Set" by "Manhattan Prep", which is aligned to the 2015 official GMAC guide. Is this set still relevant and useful to me?

I thank you for any help! Kinda clueless about the best GMAT study books still.
Intern
Intern
Re: GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 07:30
2 friends who scored 700 and 740 told me the official guides of 2019 would be enough with thoughtful reviewing and doing tests. Is this true?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
Re: GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 07:50
DutchDude555 wrote:
Hey all,

got my GMAT test on the 10th of December. I haven't studied yet and want to order the most efficient books today. I am primarily concerned with acing my GMAT Quant section.

I already found a book set which has all of the GMAT sections covered, which is the "Complete GMATstrategy Guide Set" by "Manhattan Prep", which is aligned to the 2015 official GMAC guide. Is this set still relevant and useful to me?

You can read debriefs here on gmatclub for inspiration.
First of all:
What score are you looking for? It's said that books usually work well up to a point, for instance a score of 600-650, until you hit a plateau. At this point it is recommended to look for internet based prep, such as magoosh, veritas or The economist (look at the reviews here on gmatclub) to reach the 700+ score.

General recommendation is to finish OG practise questions and perhaps even the OG quant + verbal review (OG is made by the creators of GMAT, the GMAC, and the Official guide is full of past exam questions)

If this was helpful, please give kudos!
Cheers,
Erik

Wish my good luck for 700 before Christmas!
If you think my post provided any help, please give +1 kudos, it helps a lot! <3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 08:31
DutchDude555 wrote:
Hey all,

DutchDude555
Check below link for quant study book recommendations
https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... 35162.html

Good, good Let the kudos flow through you

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 09:27
Hi DutchDude555,

Welcome to gmatclub! You'll need a study plan, so you might find this thread useful:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html

It has all info for the beginners.

Hope this helps!

Non progredi est regredi

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 09:44
Welcome to GC!

Since you want to focus more on GMAT Quant, it would be nice if you make a note of the following points.
1) GMAT Quant is a reasoning test NOT a math test. Having said that it would be nice that you have the foundation of math basic concepts. You could refer to a book by MGMAT, "foundations of math".

2) You could refer to the individual strategy guide of Quant to develop an understanding of various topics and specially how to approach these questions in less time.

3) Once you have spent enough time laying a foundation & improving your understanding of the various topics then you may do a MGMAT advanced quant book.

4) GMAT OG questions are like gold mine. Try to do sets of 20-30 questions daily from OG under timed conditions. (Kindly note that there is a main OG & a seprate Quant & Verbal OG).

5) You may like to practice more of data sufficiency questions. These questions are specific to GMAT. You may like to refer to the following post for better understanding :-
https://gmatclub.com/forum/data-suffici ... ufficiency

6) Periodically (once a week) take a mock to evaluate your weak areas and keep working on them.

All the best in your prep!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 10:10
Thank you for the quick responses guys! Really appreciate you :)

I found a seller nearby selling the 5th edition Manhattan Prep 1 to 9 books in good condition for just 30 dollars. Are these 5th edition books still usable to me?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 15:36
Hi DutchDude555,

Based on what you have posted, I assume that your Score Goal is 700+. That Score is approximately the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to earn that type of Score. By extension, there are NO study materials that can 'guarantee' you that type of result. This is meant to say that while you could certainly begin your studies with some books, you will likely need some additional non-book practice materials to earn a 700+ on Test Day.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 20:05
DutchDude555 wrote:
Thank you for the quick responses guys! Really appreciate you :)

I found a seller nearby selling the 5th edition Manhattan Prep 1 to 9 books in good condition for just 30 dollars. Are these 5th edition books still usable to me?
Yes. The GMAT exam has not changed substantially in terms of the concepts it tests, so you should be fine studying from good sources.

A few other changes have been introduced, though. You can read about them here, here, and here.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 03:12
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I will look up material this week and make my first CAT next week, unfortunately no time to do so throughout the week.
700-740. 700 is truly the lowest score that I want.

I will apply by the end of December.

I plan to apply to the LSE (MSc Finance / MSc Finance & Accounting), HEC Paris (MSc Finance / MSc Management (Grande Ecole), St. Gallen (MSc Banking & Finance), Bocconi (MSc Finance), Essec (MSc Finance)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 14:36
Hi DutchDude555,

If you have 3-4 months of potential study time, then you could potentially improve a great deal. Once we have your initial practice CAT Score, we'll be better able to plan out how best to proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 16:53
Hi DutchDude555,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, although you could use books for your GMAT prep, I’ve found that my students are more successful when using an online self-study course. Self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. The ability to track your progress will keep you more engaged, and you’ll be able to more accurately forecast when you’re ready to take your real GMAT.

You may want to take a look at the top-rated quant courses here on GMAT Club. You also may find it helpful to read this article about How to Increase Your GMAT Quant Score.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy? &nbs [#permalink] 03 Sep 2018, 16:53

GMAT test 10 December - Haven't studied yet, which books should I buy?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap