Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Re: Guide to Recruiting and Schmoozing - Part 3 - Etiquette [#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Question for peli, what if you're left handed? Do you cut with your left and hold the fork in the right hand, then switch to eat with the left? :)

No changes if you are left handed. Still cut with the fork in your left hand and knife in the right hand. I think this even applies to the European style.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
No changes if you are left handed. Still cut with the fork in your left hand and knife in the right hand. I think this even applies to the European style.

yes, but which hand would you eat with using the fork? I'm just wondering if all lefties have to learn how to eat with their right hand (using the fork or spoon) to be "proper". :)
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Yeah, the correct way is still to switch the fork back to the right hand when putting food to mouth.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
wow, sucks to be a lefty... :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
wow, sucks to be a lefty... :P

No, you still have to chew... no sucking allowed :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
thats super duper post. Thanks alot. I regret, that I haven't read it earlier. Everything wtitten here is absolute true.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
As always, Pelihu, a post of substance. I look forward to sitting down putting each Part of your Guide into action soon enough.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
Oh, and Peli, what about not eating until the recruiter starts? People tend to take that cue from the recruiter, though it can be awkward if the recruiter's chatting away and we're all thinking about our cooling salmon!

Definitely agree with that. There's generally someone from the firm that's in charge, generally the most senior person there. It's a good idea to wait until they start before digging in. Perhaps even more important, you should definitely wait until everyone at the table has been served before starting.

Great stuff pel & aaudetat.

Quick question, how does bread factor into "Don't start eating until the most senior person starts eating?"
I guess the safest bet is to just not eat bread.

As for waiting until everyone is served, that's just common courtesy. I'm not even close to being a recruiter, but it annoys me when people dig in before everyone's been served. Though the better restaurants wouldn't dare bring out the meals one at a time.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Actually, the subject of bread is a pet peeve. In almost all cases, the bread basket is meant to be passed. So, if they set down a basket of bread in front of you, by all means go ahead and take one, but pick up the basket and pass it to the person next to you. Don't just grab some bread and leave the basket sitting in front of you. That just forces someone to ask you to pass the bread or to reach. If you want to be extra-courteous, wait until the bread has made it all the way around before digging in.

And while we're on the subject of bread, let's review. Bread plate on the left. If you want butter, use your butter knife and move a chunk to your plate (then pass the butter). Tear off a bite-sized piece of bread. Butter just that bite-sized piece. Consume. Do not break open your roll and butter the whole thing and don't tear pieces off your roll with your mouth.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
... and don't tear pieces off your roll with your mouth.

hahahahaaha! legendary!

...although that would be so much fun... ;)

We have theme-restaurant here in Munich in a cellar that used to be a tavern in medieval times. You only get a knife (and your hands) to eat, women have to serve the men beer etc. This could help blow off some steam after all these recruiting events. Making a mental note to book that should I be back here some day.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
And while we're on the subject of bread, let's review. Bread plate on the left. If you want butter, use your butter knife and move a chunk to your plate (then pass the butter). Tear off a bite-sized piece of bread. Butter just that bite-sized piece. Consume. Do not break open your roll and butter the whole thing and don't tear pieces off your roll with your mouth.

I usually don't eat the bread, but I think I've broken all the bread rules -- reach into the basket, never passing it; buttering the entire bread, and setting it in the middle; tearing at it with my mouth like a lion on its prey. hahahaha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Good tips! Thanks!

[quote="togafoot"][quote="pelihu"] Don't use your fork to cut any food, even if it is fish or anything like that, use your knife. Cut off a single bit at a time.[/quote]

All good stuff. Kudos!!!

A few other pointers :- Generally you should get a knife wish is specifically for fish, if you have ordered a fish dish....

Also here are tips for Chinese/Japanese cuisine (in case you are taken out to those style of restaurants).

[b]BOTH[/b]
Don't stick your chopsticks in the rice so that they are pointed out. putting sticks into rice is something that is done at funerals.
ALways put your chopsticks onto the chopstick holder after you have finished the current dish.

[b]Chinese[/b]
Food is usually shared. It's not 1 plate each, it's usually a set of dishes in the middle. Don't grab a plate and park it by yourself. You can ask someone on the other side of the table to pass the plate over, grab what you want and pass it back.
When pouring tea. Always pour your own tea last. It should be poured in the order of most senior to least senior (usually oldest to youngest) and yourself last.
Scooping rice into your mouth directly from the bowl is acceptable

[b]Japanese[/b]
Don't pass food from chopstick to chopstick.
Always fill up the drinks of everyone around you. Never fill your own up, someone else should do that for you. If you don't want to drink anymore, leave your glass full!
Common plates need to have individual chopsticks or spoon for you to take the food. Never use your own chopsticks
If handling raw meat (e.g. Yakiniku/ shabu shabu or Nabe) and no extra chopsticks have been provided. Use the opposite end of the chopstick to grab the meat to cook.
Japanese rice is usually sticky. Do not scoop the rice into your mouth, You need to pick it up in clumps.

[b]Business Card etiquette[/b]
Accept the card with BOTH hands and look at it. Put it on the table to your right hand side. NEVER put it into your pocket. Always put it into your wallet or into a business card holder afterwards.
When offering business cards, always offer it with the native language of the recipient faced upwards.[/quote]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Last week they had an etiquette dinner here for MBA students with a business etiquette consultant to teach everyone these very things! Although I didn't go, I did talk to a couple of people who did and one of the strange things that they said that the instructor said was to always to pass the salt and pepper together. I had never heard of this before. Have any of you?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
ishcabibble wrote:
Last week they had an etiquette dinner here for MBA students with a business etiquette consultant to teach everyone these very things! Although I didn't go, I did talk to a couple of people who did and one of the strange things that they said that the instructor said was to always to pass the salt and pepper together. I had never heard of this before. Have any of you?

Oh, absolutely. That's one of the "rules"...it's all so arbitrary. If someone says, "Please pass the salt," you grab 'em both and pass them on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
ishcabibble wrote:

Oh, absolutely. That's one of the "rules"...it's all so arbitrary. If someone says, "Please pass the salt," you grab 'em both and pass them on.

And don't forget -- not only must you pass them together, but you always have to put them down on the table -- never hand them to someone directly.
Current Student
Send PM
Ahhhh...business school...finally a place where I HAVE to grow up...
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks aau.
That perspective helps and I will think of it that way.
I DO want my friends to still speak with me post-MBA ;)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3