Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-21-2015
GPA: 3.45
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: haas vs wharton, which is better for tech entrepreneurship? [#permalink]
Hi, I am concerned with the same situation and I am interested in either tech entrepreneurship or a PM job at a major tech company. I am leaning towards Haas, but I want to run some points by the community.

First, it seems like Wharton has built a San Francisco campus and has a lot of money for entrepreneur programs. Does that help it level the playing field a bit vs. Haas's Silicon Valley location?

Second, to be counter-intuitive, would competition for achieving these goals be lower at Wharton since it's main focus is not tech? I assume that proportionally, there would be less classmates working towards tech entrepreneurship and jobs at tech companies at Wharton than at Haas.

Thirdly, it seems like Wharton has a large amount of people getting recruited into tech companies as well - in that respect, does it mean that it is still a great way to get into tech?

This question also applies to Columbia, which also sends a decent number of people into tech companies and has a lot of cash to award to entrepreneurial students.

Quite confused....thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
We definitely agree with Kettei here. Entrepreneurship is very much a personal journey which varies depending on industry and specific business idea, so it makes a lot of sense to chat with current students and faculty to get a sense of what each school has to offer along with the ecosystem/ community outside of the school.

If you're having trouble tracking down aspiring entrepreneurs at those schools, feel free to check out our virtual coffee chat service at HeyIvy.com where you tell us who you want to speak with, and we do all the work of matching and scheduling.

I was a Columbia Business School '14 grad and found speaking to current students was really helpful in my application process, so I started HeyIvy.

Thanks,
Tim

Kettei wrote:
Hi Samuel,

Thats a good question and may be hard to answer before getting to any of them. I have been chatting or meeting with current students from both colleges, and in terms of entrepreneurship have seen one common perception - Haas is close to VC world, even more so in Tech world. Students after graduating (at Haas), started more companies (this can be seen in the stats provided by university). But that doest mean you cant do that at Wharton. At very beginning of your idea generation and implementation, you need more minds or analysts or professors, this can be done easily at Wharton. The class size at Wharton is huge, which means there is high probability that you will come across someone like you (who shares same vision). Then you have chances to fine tune your idea working with professors who were once serial entrepreneur. And then you have case competitions etc. as a source of funding.

I guess if were you and really know that I wont survive without starting a company, then I will chat with current professors from both universities, once I get into both of them. Because starting a company means that you are looking for resources and good research centers. Sometimes, your colleagues or professor end up becoming your partner in crime !

(My opinion might be biased, but talk to people who are already there or graduated and more importantly, try to visit them personally !)

Hope this helps !

Regards,
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Danny...I would look at it this way the programs you mentioned (Wharton/Columbia) although not necessarily known for tech or entrepreneurship outright are fantastic program and honestly all fantastic programs are pretty strong in most areas. This is reflected in the employment reports you have referenced. Recruiters want the best of the best hence why these companies recruit at these programs in hordes even with reputations that lie in other areas. Kellogg also has an excellent PM pipeline in Silicon valley at all the major players so you may want to keep that program on your radar as well. Tech companies hire in droves from these programs so continue your research identifying programs that fit your development goals and apply. These options are not truly real until you have offers from the programs you are considering anyways so don't stress yourself out too much here quite yet.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts