Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 16:20 It is currently 03 May 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 05-24-2013
GPA: 3.77
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28593 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28593 [1]
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28593 [0]
Re: Help need for Quant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
samvit wrote:
Hi experts,

I am stuck on score 31-35, Please suggest measures to boost my score upto 45-49. Also can this be done and how much time it might take cause i have my test date this month's end. Books, strategy, how to get the basics right. How to review questions that i got wrong while practise/correct on Practise. Please consider Quant has been my weakness for a very long time.

Thanks
Samvit

Dear Samvit:

I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, here's a blog article you might find helpful --- it's full of links to informative articles about GMAT math:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-stu ... gmat-math/

Also, here's a 30-day study plan you may find helpful:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/1-month-gm ... -schedule/
I'll also recommend glancing over this study plan -----
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... h-focused/
You may be able to borrow some additional resources from that study plan.

I would strongly suggest checking out all the math articles on that free blog --- there's a lot there that could help you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
samvit wrote:
Hi experts,

I am stuck on score 31-35, Please suggest measures to boost my score upto 45-49. Also can this be done and how much time it might take cause i have my test date this month's end. Books, strategy, how to get the basics right. How to review questions that i got wrong while practise/correct on Practise. Please consider Quant has been my weakness for a very long time.

Thanks
Samvit

Dear Samvit:

I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, here's a blog article you might find helpful --- it's full of links to informative articles about GMAT math:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-stu ... gmat-math/

Also, here's a 30-day study plan you may find helpful:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/1-month-gm ... -schedule/
I'll also recommend glancing over this study plan -----
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... h-focused/
You may be able to borrow some additional resources from that study plan.

I would strongly suggest checking out all the math articles on that free blog --- there's a lot there that could help you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Mike,

I have completed my basics once, but still i get many questions wrong or fumble with the basics.
I find my self at a very hard place cause i have my exams coming up,mostly confused with " how to proceed".
Let me clarify-- My basics are over, but there are many topics i need to revisit.I cant decide how to divide my time between revisiting weak topics,practise other topics, do higher level questions so that i can move up the GMAT ladder.Not to forget i have to find time for VERBAL.
My last test score-600(Q35 V31)

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Samvit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
samvit wrote:
Hi Mike,
I have completed my basics once, but still i get many questions wrong or fumble with the basics. I find my self at a very hard place cause i have my exams coming up,mostly confused with " how to proceed". Let me clarify-- My basics are over, but there are many topics i need to revisit. I cant decide how to divide my time between revisiting weak topics, practise other topics, do higher level questions so that i can move up the GMAT ladder. Not to forget i have to find time for VERBAL. My last test score-600 (Q35 V31) Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks, Samvit

Dear Samvit,

First of all, your statement "My basics are over" raises my suspicions and concerns. I think anyone who is not scoring in the high 50s should not say they are "done" with the basics --- it is all too easy to underestimate the importance of the basics. Here's an article I will recommend about levels of understanding that clarifies what I am saying.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/understand ... rformance/
In particular, often folks who struggle in math have a weak grasp of the basics. They may understand, say, exponents, but not understand basic parentheses use. There are so many different levels in any math problem, and problems with the basics can cause widespread problems.

You see, math in particular is an unforgiving topic. If you need to know, say, 20 mathematical facts to answer a question, and you know 18 or 19 of those 20 facts, you probably will get the question wrong. For each question you get wrong, it's important to identify precisely which facts you were missing. If you don't understand this, post it here on GC ---- post the question, and what you did, and what you understand and don't understand. It takes more work to post a long question like this, but it's a good way to get focused help from the experts. Forcing yourself to articulate exactly what you understand and what you don't understand is an excellent way to close gaps in your understanding. When you post questions like this, asking for detailed help on a single problem, feel free to send me a pm to solicit my help. :-)

Again, I would highly recommend reading through all the math articles on this free blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/
I review many math facts as well as common mistake and common traps on GMAT math questions.

Finally, for overall balance --- math vs. verbal, review vs. challenge material --- I believe that 30-day study plan above provides an excellent framework.

Does all this make sense?

Thanks Mike, I ll Keep you posted on my progress, also keep an eye on the Magoosh Quant forum. but one last thing if you could clarify.
From your experience can you tell how much time(Hrs) it would take to move from an Q34-35 to say Q48-49?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Beautiful! Thanks Mike for explaining this in detail. Lot of us can actually get help from the statements made below.

Quote:
The biggest question really is --- why are you getting wrong the questions you get wrong now? In some sense, the only way to get an answer to that is to post each question you get wrong as its own thread here on GC, and say, "In this question, I did X & Y & Z --- why did I get it wrong? What am I missing?" The more you can solidify your understanding of the math basics, and the more you can train yourself to see insightful shortcuts and simplifying techniques, the faster you will improve and the more successful you can be. Again, for each question you post like that, feel free to solicit my help in a pm. Again, remember to scour the free Magoosh blog both for math basics and for simplifying hints.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts