Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1085 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: help study plan retaking gmat ! 620-670! [#permalink]
DM234 wrote:
Hy,

Yesterday I took my gmat and i got a 620 (Q42 V34), on my mocks i was getting around that score but with quant usually a lot higher and verbal around 26.
I was surprise with verbal 34, and i'm aware that it will be difficult to have a V34! Long story short, i want to retake the gmat whitin a month, and I was thinking, regarding the Quant, to do the manhattan advanced quant exercises, to do gmat club exercises regarding my weaknesses, and to do the gmatclub test. About verbal I was thinking about repeating all SC CR a RC on e-gmat scholarium and OG, and dissect every single questions and review every one that I failed. I'm also thinking about doing a cat every once a week.
Is this a good plan? or is it a waste to redo every OG exercises??

Thank you!

1 month is good time frame and manhattan advanced quant & gmatclub Quant will suffice. But the more important part is to spend your time strategically. If I were you, I would focus on major areas on math with medium difficulty problems and ignore advanced areas such as probability, combinations and geometry. If you quickly guess the advanced questions and move on, and spend the time on other questions and nail them, you can easily achieve Q48-Q49.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! I will do that! i will do a lot of 600 questions on gmat club regarding my weeknesses! but what abou the verbal? how can I improve? OG is it good to redo?
saswata4s wrote:
DM234 wrote:
Hy,

Yesterday I took my gmat and i got a 620 (Q42 V34), on my mocks i was getting around that score but with quant usually a lot higher and verbal around 26.
I was surprise with verbal 34, and i'm aware that it will be difficult to have a V34! Long story short, i want to retake the gmat whitin a month, and I was thinking, regarding the Quant, to do the manhattan advanced quant exercises, to do gmat club exercises regarding my weaknesses, and to do the gmatclub test. About verbal I was thinking about repeating all SC CR a RC on e-gmat scholarium and OG, and dissect every single questions and review every one that I failed. I'm also thinking about doing a cat every once a week.

Thank you!

1 month is good time frame and manhattan advanced quant & gmatclub Quant will suffice. But the more important part is to spend your time strategically. If I were you, I would focus on major areas on math with medium difficulty problems and ignore advanced areas such as probability, combinations and geometry. If you quickly guess the advanced questions and move on, and spend the time on other questions and nail them, you can easily achieve Q48-Q49.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
Hi DM234

Quote:
I was surprise with verbal 34, and i'm aware that it will be difficult to have a V34!

There are no surprises on standardized test such as GMAT.
I would advise you get an ESR and take a call on whether to re-book your exam sooner.
I would rate GC tests above Manhattan purely based on reasoning and
traps they help to identify.

Quote:

It totally depends on your memory. If you are one of those who can recall OE then
redoing OG might not be very useful. You may well want to switch over to LSAT CR/RC once
you are confident of reaching at least 75% accuracy on difficult OG questions.

Thanks a lot for replying! obsviouly that some questions on the OG I know the awes whitout looking to the awseers, but I thinking of redoing those that I don't remember. Actually i must have around 50 60 % tops for hard CR, should I stil do some LSAT??
Current Student
Send PM
DM234 wrote:
Thanks! I will do that! i will do a lot of 600 questions on gmat club regarding my weeknesses! but what abou the verbal? how can I improve? OG is it good to redo?

From my experience, reviewing is more important than redoing. In my last 15 days before GMAT, I reviewed each and every SC question from Free CAT, EP1, EP2 and QP1 at least 3 times and it really helped me. By reviewing I mean not only answer the question, but also check all 5 options and identify why the remaining 4 options are incorrect. There has to a solid reason/formula to eliminate each wrong option ( awkward is not a good reason!).

Be careful about CR! too much practice can be detrimental. I suggest watch some pre-thinking videos of Thursday with Ron, and then answer the questions from your common sense and pre-thinking. And focus only Weaken, Strengthen, Assumption, and Evaluate the argument questions. More than 90% questions are from these areas.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
saswata4s wrote:
DM234 wrote:

From my experience, reviewing is more important than redoing. In my last 15 days before GMAT, I reviewed each and every SC question from Free CAT, EP1, EP2 and QP1 at least 3 times and it really helped me. By reviewing I mean not only answer the question, but also check all 5 options and identify why the remaining 4 options are incorrect. There has to a solid reason/formula to eliminate each wrong option ( awkward is not a good reason!).

Exatly that's what I'm doing right now! I redoing most of the questions, but building a Error log, and flaging every question that I get wrong to review later!

Be careful about CR! too much practice can be detrimental. I suggest watch some pre-thinking videos of Thursday with Ron, and then answer the questions from your common sense and pre-thinking. And focus only Weaken, Strengthen, Assumption, and Evaluate the argument questions. More than 90% questions are from these areas.

Sometimes I feel like I'm better at it, and i can get 7 out of 10 questions, and some times I'm just really bad and I fail the most easier ones. Right now, I'm doing a lot of questions that I have already did (most I don't remember) and like in de sc, i'm understanding why the other are wrong and taking notes and reviewing the questions...
I feel like doing new questions on gmatclub would be good only if all theses OG and e-gmat questions are really mastered. Is this a good thinking?
Current Student
Send PM
DM234 wrote:
saswata4s wrote:
DM234 wrote:

Exatly that's what I'm doing right now! I redoing most of the questions, but building a Error log, and flaging every question that I get wrong to review later!

Sometimes I feel like I'm better at it, and i can get 7 out of 10 questions, and some times I'm just really bad and I fail the most easier ones. Right now, I'm doing a lot of questions that I have already did (most I don't remember) and like in de sc, i'm understanding why the other are wrong and taking notes and reviewing the questions...
I feel like doing new questions on gmatclub would be good only if all theses OG and e-gmat questions are really mastered. Is this a good thinking?

For SC and CR, I think it is better to strictly stick to OG and GMATPREP questions. Again, I am telling from my personal experiences and may be someone else can contradict me on this from his/her experiences.
Current Student
Send PM
DM234 wrote:

Read this debrief. Hope you'll find it helpful. One of the best and helpful posts I ever read in GC.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-750-h ... ml#p706285
Intern
Intern
Send PM
saswata4s wrote:
DM234 wrote:

Read this debrief. Hope you'll find it helpful. One of the best and helpful posts I ever read in GC.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-750-h ... ml#p706285

Thank you! That's what I thought! but to avoid running out of official exercises I plan to do some e-gmat this next fews days and then to just run every questions on OG guide and OG verbal book, as well as buy gmat prep questions and questions packs!! thank you for helping!!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts