Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:06 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64960 [2]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hit rock bottom...How can I improve my verbal score? [#permalink]
I enrolled in the MGMAT in-person classes, went through all of the books institute provided and solved most of the OG questions. I also used to study from online resources.
As I said, I am no expert in English but I didn't know I could do this bad. During the test, I did feel that I was in some kind of rush.... I think I was too worried about falling behind in terms of pace/time.
I don't mind taking the exam again.. I just never performed so terribly in my life before, so I was just in some sort of shock for a week or so....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Hit rock bottom...How can I improve my verbal score? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi apsahota,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. Your practice CAT scores clearly show that you're capable of scoring at a much higher level. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day.

If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take them at home?
2) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
3) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, listen to music, etc.)?
4) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?
5) When you took your CATs, did you ever come across questions that you had seen before (in these Forums, for example)?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
1) Did you take them at home?
- Yes
2) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
-Yes (I always took full CAT including IR and essay sections)
3) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, listen to music, etc.)?
-No
4) Did you ever take a CAT more than once?
-I took total 6 tests but didn't repeat any
5) When you took your CATs, did you ever come across questions that you had seen before (in these Forums, for example)?
-No

I used to score 630-640 on the MGMAT CATs but the main reason behind my low score was hitting 43-44 in Quant. MGMAT CAT quant section is really hard, So I wasn't worried about my performance in that section. When I took CAT from mba dot com, I did hit 50 and 49 in the quant section. Moreover before taking mba dot com's CATs, I was very nervous which I thought as a good thing since I would be nervous on the official test day.

But I must confess that I did spend most of my prep time (when it came to practice questions) on quant (I could be wrong but my brain is making me think that way now) since I didn't want to score fewer than Q50 (ego issue since I have a strong maths background). I was satisfied with average verbal performance. Oh well... It kinda backfired.

Originally posted by apsahota on 01 Aug 2015, 11:21.
Last edited by apsahota on 01 Aug 2015, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi apsahota,

The extra information that you've provided doesn't point to any serious 'red flags' in how you took your CATs, although taking your CATs at home is NOT realistic. I have a few more questions (about Test Day itself):

On Test Day:
1) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
2) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
3) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
4) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
5) Did you finish any sections early?
6) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
1) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
- I slept really well... which usually doesn't happen when I am in such situations.
2) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
- It's 40-45 mins train ride plus 15 mins walk to the center.
3) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
- No.
4) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
- I had some snacks/water and went to the restroom
5) Did you finish any sections early?
- Not really. maybe 1-2 mins early.
6) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?
- I did skip a few questions here and there but I didn't have to rush.

Verbal section: I did spend 4+ mins on first SC question because it had an idiom which I never saw before. I got stuck because I didn't want to guess on the very first question and I feel that it was a huge mistake. Now I feel that perhaps verbal section was tougher than I had expected... Perhaps I was down to two answer choices and I tried to guess on most of em. Perhaps I gave up mid way after seeing some very easy SC questions...
Based on my enhanced report I performed terribly in SC and CR (20 some percentile in both sections which was kinda shocking because I always get 70-80%+ of SC questions right when I do timed sets from OG). Not sure if I can hit 90%+ accuracy... I was relying heavily on SC to lift my score. My RC performance used to fluctuate during the tests.. CR performance used to be ok but 50% was the worst case scenario.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi apsahota,

Are you comfortable posting your Enhanced Score Report? While the data in that report is somewhat limited, it can sometimes point to an 'issue' that you didn't realize was an actual issue on Test Day.

From this last set of answers you've provided, the only minor issue that stands out is the transportation time to the Center - 1 hour isn't that bad, but sometimes a trip of that length can impact attitude, energy levels, stress, etc., which can (in turn) impact performance.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Rich,

Here's probably what you are looking for:
mean time:
overall verbal: 1.82
CR: 2.26
RC: 1.5
SC: 1.82

I think I spent way too much time on SC questions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Karishma,

Thanks for the response and I will definitely go through the links you provided. I am sure that there has to be a reason (my weaknesses) behind low verbal score and I must work on them. My only concern is that I hit pretty high accuracy when I solve (timed sets) questions from OG, Magoosh or MGMAT review books, so I struggle to figure out what's going on. Regarding my performance in Quant, I am not very surprised.... Irrespective of how I feel, I rarely struggle in Quant section unless I come across a question type which I have never seen before.

BTW I have gone through most of the Veritas videos, and I did score 710 and 660 on two prep tests which came with the GMAT test registration.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am getting "Error establishing a database connection" for most of the veritasprep blogs including the one you posted (https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/08 ... bal-score/ )
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64960 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
apsahota wrote:
I am getting "Error establishing a database connection" for most of the veritasprep blogs including the one you posted (https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/08 ... bal-score/ )

Yes, I am getting the problem too. There is something going on with the blog link. Let me find out what it is (and the post will answer your question once it goes back online!).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
apsahota wrote:
So I took official GMAT exam a few weeks back and scored 600 (V24 Q49). I am kinda lost. I never scored such a terrible number (V24) in the prep tests.. not even in the very first test which I took without any prep.

English is not my first language, so I know that I will never score 100/100. I have been consistently scoring in 30-35 range in the prep tests (MGAMT)... I am not sure what went wrong during the official test. After seeing my final score of 24 in verbal section, I was like: I could have done better than this without any GMAT prep work. It feels like whatever I did in terms of preparation was useless. I scored 710 and 660 in the mba dot com prep tests (I took full tests including IR and essay) leading to my official GMAT exam.

I am not very disappointed with my total score... I am just confused because I had no idea that I could score 24... If I had any such indication, I would have altered my plan. I thought I would score around 50 in quant and 33-34 in verbal. As I said earlier: I scored V31 in the test which I took before I even started preparing for GMAT. :(

I will take the exam again.... This time, I am focusing more on verbal and less on quant section. My plan is to review every single problem I attempt irrespective of whether I get it wrong and read articles everyday from recommended resources.

Any other tips?

Hey apsahota

The SC section is the easiest verbal section to make improvements on. Once you understand how to think and approach this question type, there are only so many ways you can be tested. Here at GMAT Pill we developed the 10 core frameworks which detail the 10 ways to approach GMAT sentence corrections.

Here is a sample video detailing one of the core frameworks: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/2184

For CR, we recommend a visual framework approach to help you understand the complex short passages and how each item relates to each other.

Here is a video describing the visual framework approach: https://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

To improve RC - you really need visual guidance. Don't read articles about how to improve reading. You improve by actually doing or watching someone else do.

That's why you might find these video walkthroughs helpful: https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

Best of luck on your studies!
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Some maintenance activity was going on and it had caused a technical glitch. All is in order now. Check out the posts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi apsahota,

While that is some of the information that I'm interested in, I'd really have to see the full ESR to offer any complete insights. If you'd rather not post the full report, then you can PM it to me.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I took another test from GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 and again hit 710 (my second 710 on GMATPrep Exam).... This score should be the most accurate one. Right?
Perhaps I did have an off day on the official test day.

Btw I did drive to my office (same distance to test center from my home) to take the test. I wanted to simulate the test day scenario to rule out whether the commute affected my performance.

Originally posted by apsahota on 08 Aug 2015, 17:57.
Last edited by apsahota on 09 Aug 2015, 09:07, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Rich,

I emailed you the screenshot of my verbal ESR
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
apsahota wrote:
I took another test from GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 and again hit 710 (my second 710 on GMATPrep Exam).... This score should be the most accurate one. Right?
Perhaps I did have an off day on the official test day.

Btw I did drive to my office (same distance to test center from my home) to take the test. I wanted to simulate the test day scenario to rule out whether the commute affected my performance.

We do hope it was an off day on the official test day but I would request you to take the Verbal dip seriously. You don't want a similar second score, if possible. Of course, now one can cancel one's score without any repercussions if one doesn't like it, but every attempt does involve serious time, effort and money.

I have known people to get scores very different from GMAT Prep test scores. They could be much lower, and on occasion quite a bit higher than the prep test score.
I suggest you to look properly at the shortfalls in the Verbal section and ensure that you plug them before taking the test again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Karishma!
I have been focusing mostly (80% of my prep time) on verbal since my last official test. I do feel that prep test questions are easier than what I saw on the official test.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2