Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 23:21 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 23:21
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13835 [24]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4256 [1]
Given Kudos: 243
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Re: How many employees are in company C? 1) There are 120 ways to form a [#permalink]
Hi Archit...... Could you please explain again.... Having difficulty understanding the concept.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Given Kudos: 80
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
How many employees are in company C? 1) There are 120 ways to form a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel can you please help with this one

As per my understanding, state 1 gives nC3 = 120 and that can be solved to find out n=10. But how can we proceed with equation 2, I don't think that means nC2, as per my understanding that should be nCn/2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
How many employees are in company C? 1) There are 120 ways to form a [#permalink]
Spiddy wrote:
Bunuel can you please help with this one

As per my understanding, state 1 gives nC3 = 120 and that can be solved to find out n=10. But how can we proceed with equation 2, I don't think that means nC2, as per my understanding that should be nCn/2

This is exactly what I thought too, is (2) not telling us that we need to do "nC(n/2)"?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30868 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: How many employees are in company C? 1) There are 120 ways to form a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
GMATinsight wrote:
How many employees are in company C?

1) There are 120 ways to form a team of 3 out of all the employees in company C
2) All the employees in company C can be divided into two teams of equal employees in 126 ways

Target question: How many employees are in company C?

Statement 1: There are 120 ways to form a team of 3 out of all the employees in company C
If we let n = the number of employees, then we can write: nC3 = 120
After testing a few numbers we can see that 10C3 = 120, which means n = 10, which means there are 10 employees in company C.
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: All the employees in company C can be divided into two teams of equal employees in 126 ways
This tells us that n (number of employees) must be an EVEN number.
It also tells us that [nC(n/2)]/2 = 126, which means nC(n/2) = 252
Let's test a few EVEN values of n:
If n = 2, then our equation becomes 2C1 = 252. Since 2C1 = 2, we know that n ≠ 2
If n = 4, then our equation becomes 4C2 = 252. Since 4C2 = 6, we know that n ≠ 4
If n = 6, then our equation becomes 6C3 = 252. Since 6C2 = 20, we know that n ≠ 8

Important: At this point we can see that, with each different even value of n, we get a different value for nC(n/2).
In other words, n can have exactly one value, statement 2 is sufficient to find the value of n.

Aside: If we keep going, we find that 10C5 = 252 which means n = 10, which means there are 10 employees in company C.
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer: D

ASIDE: Let me explain my equation [nC(n/2)]/2 = 126
n = the number of employees
n/2 = HALF the employees to be placed on one team (say Team A)
So, nC(n/2) = the number of ways to place half of the employees on Team A (which means the other half goes on Team B).
However, in this scenario we don't have a Team A and Team B; we just have two teams.
This means the expression nC(n/2) is DOUBLE COUNTING of a total number of outcomes, which means we must divide it by 2.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94619 posts