Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [15]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: How many organizational structures can be formed that consist of Divis [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kchen1994 wrote:
How many organizational structures can be formed that consist of Division A; at least one of Divisions B and C; at least two of Divisions D, E, and F; and at least two of Divisions G, H, J, and K?

a) 60
b) 90
c) 99
d) 120
e) 132

Hi ParthSanghavi,

The way would be to see how each set will turn out to be..
consist of Division A - 1 way;
at least one of Divisions B and C - there will be one way when none will be there, so Total-1=2^2-1=3;
at least two of Divisions D, E, and F- none is there-1 way and one is there-3 ways, so total-(1+3)=2^3-4; and
at least two of Divisions G, H, J, and K- none is there-1 way and one is there-4 ways, so total-(1+3)=2^4-5;

total ways = \(1*3*(2^3-4)(2^4-5)=1*3*4*11=132\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: How many organizational structures can be formed that consist of Divis [#permalink]
Kudos
push12345 wrote:
For this question one needs to manually calculate cases

1*(2C1+2C2)*(3C2+3C3)*(4C2+4C3+4C4)
=1*3*4*11
=132

Posted from my mobile device

One also does not quote simply C1/C2 to make a problem more complex.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
kchen1994 wrote:
How many organizational structures can be formed that consist of Division A; at least one of Divisions B and C; at least two of Divisions D, E, and F; and at least two of Divisions G, H, J, and K?

a) 60
b) 90
c) 99
d) 120
e) 132

Division A can be taken in 1 way.

Ways of selecting at least one of B and C = 2^2 - 1 = 3
Explanation: B can be picked in 2 ways (pick or not pick) and C can be picked in 2 ways (pick or not pick). This gives us 2*2 = 4 total ways. Out of this, it is not acceptable to not pick either so we remove 1.

Ways of selecting at least two of D, E and F = 2^3 - 1 - 3 = 4
Explanation: D can be picked in 2 ways (pick or not pick), E can be picked in 2 ways (pick or not pick) and F can be picked in 2 ways (pick or not pick). This gives us 2*2*2 = 8 total ways. Out of this, it is not acceptable to not pick any so we remove 1. It is also not acceptable to pick only 1 (since at least 2 have to picked) so remove 3 ways in which you can pick any one.

Ways of selecting at least 2 of G, H, J, K = 2^4 - 1 - 4 = 11
Same explanation as above.

Total = 1*3*4*11 = 132

Understood. Thanks for a quick response VeritasKarishma
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
kchen1994 wrote:

a) 60
b) 90
c) 99
d) 120
e) 132

Hi ParthSanghavi,

The way would be to see how each set will turn out to be..
consist of Division A - 1 way;
at least one of Divisions B and C - there will be one way when none will be there, so Total-1=2^2-1=3;
at least two of Divisions D, E, and F- none is there-1 way and one is there-3 ways, so total-(1+3)=2^3-4; and
at least two of Divisions G, H, J, and K- none is there-1 way and one is there-4 ways, so total-(1+3)=2^4-5;

total ways = \(1*3*(2^3-4)(2^4-5)=1*3*4*11=132\)

Seems, Karishma has also replied in the meantime. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
hi experts,

could anybody help me in explaining the question please, i am struck in understanding the question per se...

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
ccheryn wrote:
hi experts,

could anybody help me in explaining the question please, i am struck in understanding the question per se...

thanks

I have the same question ....
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts