Last visit was: 24 Jul 2024, 13:59 It is currently 24 Jul 2024, 13:59
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
RC & DI Moderator
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Status:Math and DI Expert
Posts: 11485
Own Kudos [?]: 34585 [14]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 388
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Status:QA & VA Forum Moderator
Posts: 6047
Own Kudos [?]: 4768 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Current Student
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1426
Own Kudos [?]: 4603 [4]
Given Kudos: 1228
Location: India
Send PM
Re: How many trailing zeroes does 24!+25! has? [#permalink]
4
Bookmarks
24! + 25!
= 24! + 25*24!
= 24!(1 + 25)
= 24! * 13 * 2

The zeroes are contributed only by the number of 5's in 24! --> 4 trailing zeroes

Answer: A
VP
VP
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1142
Own Kudos [?]: 1028 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
How many trailing zeroes does 24!+25! has? [#permalink]
Vyshak wrote:
24! + 25!
= 24! + 25*24!
= 24!(1 + 25)
= 24! * 13 * 2

The zeroes are contributed only by the number of 5's in 24! --> 4 trailing zeroes

Answer: A



hi Vyshak
I understand you how got this 24!(1 + 25) by factoring out but what function does this (1 + 25) / or (13 * 2) this have , and how is it called ?
thanks :-)

hi there pushpitkc maybe you can explain :-) YAY :-)

Originally posted by dave13 on 02 Aug 2018, 08:28.
Last edited by dave13 on 06 Aug 2018, 02:12, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 2863
Own Kudos [?]: 5336 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Location: India
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
How many trailing zeroes does 24!+25! has? [#permalink]
1
Kudos
dave13 wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
24! + 25!
= 24! + 25*24!
= 24!(1 + 25)
= 24! * 13 * 2

The zeroes are contributed only by the number of 5's in 24! --> 4 trailing zeroes

Answer: A



hi Vyshak
I understand you how got this 24!(1 + 25) by factoring out but what function does this (1 + 25) / or (13 * 2) this have , and how is it called ?
thanks :-)

hi there pushpitkc maybe you can explain :-) YAY :-)


Hey dave13

That way you can check if another 0 can be formed making the trailing zeroes
becomes greater.

For example, if we have 24! * 25, then the trailing zeroes will be 6(not 4)

I think you know that the number of zeroes in 24! is determined by multiplying
the highest power of 5 with the 2 - 24!(which is 24*23*22*21..*3*2*1) will have
four 5's(one each from 5, 10, 15, and 20) and many more than four 2'(minimum
of 6 - one from 2 and 6, two from 4, and three from 8)

Now, the 25 which has two more 5's multiply with the 2's from 8 and thereby, the
expression ends with six 0's(instead of four)

Hope this clears your confusion!
VP
VP
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1142
Own Kudos [?]: 1028 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: How many trailing zeroes does 24!+25! has? [#permalink]
pushpitkc wrote:
dave13 wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
24! + 25!
= 24! + 25*24!
= 24!(1 + 25)
= 24! * 13 * 2

The zeroes are contributed only by the number of 5's in 24! --> 4 trailing zeroes

Answer: A



hi Vyshak
I understand you how got this 24!(1 + 25) by factoring out but what function does this (1 + 25) / or (13 * 2) this have , and how is it called ?
thanks :-)

hi there pushpitkc maybe you can explain :-) YAY :-)


Hey dave13

That way you can check if another 0 can be formed making the trailing zeroes
becomes greater.

For example, if we have 24! * 25, then the trailing zeroes will be 6(not 4)

I think you know that the number of zeroes in 24! is determined by multiplying
the highest power of 5 with the 2 - 24!(which is 24*23*22*21..*3*2*1) will have
four 5's(one each from 5, 10, 15, and 20) and many more than four 2'(minimum
of 6 - one from 2 and 6, two from 4, and three from 8)

Now, the 25 which has two more 5's multiply with the 2's from 8 and thereby, the
expression ends with six 0's(instead of four)

Hope this clears your confusion!


thank you :)

24! * 25 = \(\frac{24}{5}\) +\(\frac{25}{5^2}\) = 4+2 = 6

is my understanding correct ?
Director
Director
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 626
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
How many trailing zeroes does 24!+25! has? [#permalink]
slight mistake !!
it should be 24! (1 + 25) = 24! * 26
since 26 doesn't have a 5 in it , we are only concerned with number of 5's in 24!
which is 4
Intern
Intern
Joined: 03 Sep 2017
Posts: 11
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
Send PM
Re: How many trailing zeroes does 24!+25! has? [#permalink]
Correct me if I am wrong but if we don't take the common term out 24! yields 4 trailing places and 25! yields 6. The two extra 0's in 25! will convert to non zero integers when 24! is added in so 4 is the answer
Manager
Manager
Joined: 12 Sep 2017
Posts: 239
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Re: How many trailing zeroes does 24!+25! has? [#permalink]
Hello experts!

Can someone please provide an answer different than binomial theorem?

Kind regards!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How many trailing zeroes does 24!+25! has? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94609 posts