Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: How to move ahead after taking first GMAT mock test [#permalink]
kinjiGC wrote:
gmatguydelhi wrote:
Hello,

I just registered on this website because it looks quite useful for GMAT related stuff.

I am from India and want to apply for the 2016-17 batch of PGPX at IIMs and ISB, so I am giving my GMAT in July last week. I started preparing for GMAT from 1st week of May 2015. I have bought Manhattan GMAT books for Quant and Verbal, I also have the official GMAT book. I have completed the Quant books of MGMAT so far.

I read in this forum that I should give a mock test to estimate my current position and start to study according to the analysis of the score of that test. I just completed my free mock test on Manhattan Prep and this is my score:

Quant -> 46 (66 percentile)
Verbal -> 25 (38 percentile)
Overall -> 590 (58 percentile)

I want to keep July for mock tests and actual GMAT exam, so I practically have only one month in hand, June. Obviously I want to raise my score from 590 to at least 720 (ideally 750)
According to the mock test assessment summary, I should work on data sufficiency problems, Reading comprehension and sentence correction a lot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Manhattan GMAT Guides are good for basic understanding and later, you need to practice official questions from Official Guide and Verbal 2nd Edition. Once you are done with those books, you can try GMATPrep Question Pack 1 and Exam Pack 1.

I will suggest you to have official questions as your preparation back bone and questions from other coaching institutes such Manhattan GMAT , veritasprep and Magoosh can be practiced to assist the preparation.

The key is analysis, so analyze your mocks and official questions in detail.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. All the best

Thanks Kinjal.

I analyzed each and every question of my mock test and came to this conclusion.

1. If I stop making silly mistakes in calculations and practice little more Data sufficiency problems, I would be able to score 48+ in quant
2. I really need to work on all sections of verbal. I am right now equally weak at RC, SC, CR.

I also checked the deadlines of application for IIMA and ISB, it is mid September, so I am thinking to take my GMAT in August last week instead of July. That way I will have 2 months to prepare well. I am going to set weekly targets for my preparations for next 6 weeks.

That's the plan, I want to get as high as your score ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: How to move ahead after taking first GMAT mock test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmatguydelhi,

A 590 is a good 'baseline' score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). As far as your timeline and plans are concerned, we're not going to truly know how much time you need to study until you spend some time studying and we track your progress.

Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies, so the fact that you're only planning for 2 months might be a problem. To that end, it's important to take FULL-LENGTH CATs (including the Essay and IR sections) at regular intervals (a CAT every 1-2 weeks), so that you can 'catch' any little errors and fix them earlier (rather than having to deal with them all at the end) and train to combat the pacing and endurance issues that many Test Takers face on Test Day.

You should study however you like for the next couple of weeks, then take a FULL CAT. You should report back once you have those scores - they'll provide some vital information on whether your study plan is working or not.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
How to move ahead after taking first GMAT mock test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmatguydelhi,

The purpose of the mocks is to help you understand where you need to work and to gauge your progress. Based on the score you displayed I'd target verbal, reading comprehension in particular if that is what your detailed report told you. When you take your mocks, be sure to review the answers you miss and adjust your studies as needed (focus on reading comprehension for a while if that's a weakness compared to the others, or on specific question types that you tend to miss). Best of luck with your studies and the exam!
GMAT Club Bot
How to move ahead after taking first GMAT mock test [#permalink]