Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
Most undecided people seem to end up in Management Consulting. After a couple of years, they get tired of the hotels, the airports and working in far flung places like Mobil, Alabama. At this point, they pick an industry they fancy or have experience in and join it in a corporate dev./gen. management role. My worst fear is that I will follow the crowd at school ending up as a finance monkey in IB and eventually hate myself two years after graduation.

I want to find out more about rotational programs, any one talked to a current student/alum about this ?

I guy I know in GSB joined a rotational program wit BP and is optimistic about it. He also mentioned that Cargill has a good rotational program for MBAs.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great thread. Sounds like a lot of us are on the same page.

I used to think consulting was hard to break into, but then realized it's just the McKinseys and Bains that are hard to break into, there are like ten million other consulting companies, although I think the pay drops off once you get outside the big brand names.

The health thing is the one thing that makes the consulting sound unappealing, I really like eating good food and exercising a lot etc. and flying on planes all the time would suck.

But one perk that my consultant friends all seem to enjoy is a ridiculous amount of frequent flyer miles and hotel points. One of my friends flew to Malaysia for sixty dollars (just had to pay taxes), and on another trip to the Carribean stayed at a resort hotel and paid like fifty bucks a night, and flew for free.

Another friend told me that she once sat down and calculated all the stuff that she expenses that she would otherwise have paid for (food, gas) and she came up with ten thousand dollars in one year. So in other words, that's ten thousand dollars of her own money that she didn't have to spend on food and gas, which is like 13 or 14K tacked onto your salary (pre-tax).

So definitely pros and cons w/ consulting, guess I'll have to figure it out when i get to school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rotational programs are cool..

I joined a commercial bank not too long out of college as a management associate. You rotated in wealth management, operations, consumer banking, and corporate banking...the awesome thing that you had the chance to decide on a functional area..assuming there was an opening.. We recruit MBAs too..There was one McCombs MBA in my class... he's now doing equity research in the asset management group..

The downside is that there were certain areas of the bank that people absolutely did not want to touch..i.e...consumer banking. I actually was one of the few interested in Operations.. but you had the opportunity to understand how all the functions the bank work..which is pretty unique

We had 36 associates in the program..most were pretty young..the bank gave us free corporate housing..we all got pretty close...and um...some of us got even closer..(we used to call the complex melrose place)...=)

Ok i think I'm rambling too much now..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
amorica wrote:
We had 36 associates in the program..most were pretty young..the bank gave us free corporate housing..we all got pretty close...and um...some of us got even closer..(we used to call the complex melrose place)...=)

I want pictures.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Another friend told me that she once sat down and calculated all the stuff that she expenses that she would otherwise have paid for (food, gas) and she came up with ten thousand dollars in one year. So in other words, that's ten thousand dollars of her own money that she didn't have to spend on food and gas, which is like 13 or 14K tacked onto your salary (pre-tax).

So definitely pros and cons w/ consulting, guess I'll have to figure it out when i get to school.

If you dont mind being a total road warrior, its even more than that. You dont have to fly back to your home city every weekend, you can fly somewhere else, so I've known people who have gone to colorado for free - not on miles - just instead of going home for the weekend - and gone skiing.

There are perks. Thats for sure, but they do come at a cost.

I once had the chance to go work for united. I'm kinda glad I didn't, and I kinda regret that I didnt. ... people do crazy stuff like fly to Bangkok for the weekend just for fun.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
amorica wrote:

I heard the same from the people who worked for the Big Four auditors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It would fall into the Insurance/Financial Services Industry.

rhyme wrote:
MoonShine wrote:
rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
Most undecided people seem to end up in Management Consulting. After a couple of years, they get tired of the hotels, the airports and working in far flung places like Mobil, Alabama. At this point, they pick an industry they fancy or have experience in and join it in a corporate dev./gen. management role. My worst fear is that I will follow the crowd at school ending up as a finance monkey in IB and eventually hate myself two years after graduation.

I want to find out more about rotational programs, any one talked to a current student/alum about this ?

Right, and it gets very old very fast - the travel that is. You don't always end up on fun projects in fun places, and can be a real drag to get on a plane week in week out. I'm also attracted to corporate rotational programs, but no haven't talked to anyone about this yet.

Add me to the list of those interested in rotational programs. The company I work for has a "Management Development Program" for fresh MBA grads, where after 2 years, you are put in a managerial role in the business unit that suits you best. Appearantly it's considered the "fast-tracK" to executive status. I've done some research on this, and lot of companies do have this type of program, especially for corp finance grads. Only one thing, I do believe the pay is not spectacular while your actually doing the rotations. Anyone else have info on rotationals??

Can you tell us a bit more about your firm? What kind of industry is it? Manufacturing? Services? Finance? etc?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Where's the love for IB??

Okay, I know I've writing IB in my apps all along but I really don't either. I know I need to make a lot of money and I'm good with analyzing stuff and math. I've been living in 3 yrs of chillax IT life so 80hour weeks seem like exciting to me. But I can see how that might get tough after a year or two. Is there something else I should consider instead of MC?

I'd also like to work in Hong Kong/China after grad, so some kinda banking/investing sounds good to me.

Things that are out for me:
Brand Management
NPO
Sales
HR
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I thought IB was more about photocopying and proof reading pitch books late in the night than any intelligent quantitative analysis. The analysis part is all bogus with a VP doling out an unrealistic and optimistic valuation number with the monkeys fitting things around that number.

fluffydot wrote:

Okay, I know I've writing IB in my apps all along but I really don't either. I know I need to make a lot of money and I'm good with analyzing stuff and math. I've been living in 3 yrs of chillax IT life so 80hour weeks seem like exciting to me. But I can see how that might get tough after a year or two. Is there something else I should consider instead of MC?

I'd also like to work in Hong Kong/China after grad, so some kinda banking/investing sounds good to me.

Brand Management
NPO
Sales
HR
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My idea is to re-join my current employer. Now wait, here's the catch: right now I have access within my employer to positions around the world. Exciting opportunities and lotsa growth potential (which an MBA will help boost). However, when calculating salaries, they calculate based on a percentage of savings (in local currency) and a percentage of living expenses. Basically some wicked HR scheme to pay less to expatriates.

I figured that if I get a US based MBA I could re-join the company as a US-based employee and then no matter where I'm transferred (ideally to some low costs developing country) I'll keep receiving a reasonable salary.

So that's that. If I get an admit I'll try and make them pay for my MBA. If not, I'll keep my options open.

Cheers. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tell us how you really feel...

:lol:

People tend to have a love/hate relationship with IB, and it is apparent that transcends to how it is viewed in the blogosphere. It has it's pros and cons just like every job, but it's certainly not as dire as you make it out to be.

lhotseface wrote:
I thought IB was more about photocopying and proof reading pitch books late in the night than any intelligent quantitative analysis. The analysis part is all bogus with a VP doling out an unrealistic and optimistic valuation number with the monkeys fitting things around that number.

fluffydot wrote:

Brand Management
NPO
Sales
HR
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
It was a tongue-in-cheek rumination....though not far from reality based on my converations with friends at Bear Stearns, ML and Lehman.

eazyb81 wrote:

People tend to have a love/hate relationship with IB, and it is apparent that transcends to how it is viewed in the blogosphere. It has it's pros and cons just like every job, but it's certainly not as dire as you make it out to be.

lhotseface wrote:

fluffydot wrote:

Brand Management
NPO
Sales
HR
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The adcom suggested we do Career Leader ($95) https://www.careerleader.com/

I think they require it for students...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
so 80hour weeks seem like exciting to me. But I can see how that might get tough after a year or two. Is there something else I should consider instead of MC?

Brand Management
NPO
Sales
HR

80 hour weeks? Yeah, when you become senior. Associates are more like 100 hour weeks (not too different from analysts).

There's a switch in necessary skills in banking. The skills that get you the job and help you succeed are not the same skills you need as a manager. As a grunt, you need attention to detial/analytical skills/ etc. but as you become more senior, it's all about selling.

So, do you want to be a glorified salesman?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I understand, and I also have friends within the industry that say some of the same things when they are having bad days. However, other days they love their work and it obviously goes without saying the money is absurd.

IMO, there are pros and cons to all jobs, and sadly stats show that most people don't really like their job. Whether you go into IB, MC, IM, Corp Finance, GM, etc., there are going to be some good things and there are going to be some bad things - no job is perfect.

lhotseface wrote:
It was a tongue-in-cheek rumination....though not far from reality based on my converations with friends at Bear Stearns, ML and Lehman.

eazyb81 wrote:

lhotseface wrote:

fluffydot wrote:

Brand Management
NPO
Sales
HR
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think IB opens up a lof ot doors further down. Most people tend to work for 2-3 years post MBA and move on to PE shops, Hedge Funds and other Corporate Finance roles. Once you get out of the IB fraternity, there's an aura of accomplishment and honor associated to it.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read in Alex's posts on businessweek forums that PE and Hedge shops aren't quite welcoming to formers IBs. Corporate finance is the more likely route. Can someone comment ?

agsfaltex wrote:
I think IB opens up a lof ot doors further down. Most people tend to work for 2-3 years post MBA and move on to PE shops, Hedge Funds and other Corporate Finance roles. Once you get out of the IB fraternity, there's an aura of accomplishment and honor associated to it.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7