Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: I'm so sick of the GMAT... [#permalink]
celluloidandroid wrote:
The problem here is that the people who do the best are the most likely to brag. The numbers show us that NOT many people get above 600. So when we search the net to read about GMAT stories and they always seem to be about people getting 600+ it's because they're the only ones bragging. People don't get online to write huge blogs about studying your way to a 500 score.
When I realized that fact, I stopped reading other peoples stories and focused on my own studies; only searching this forum for problem explanations when the book fell short. I've been much happier since. :)

That said, nobody just breezes into a 700+. My practice test score went from a 430 to a 610. I've been studying for 6-hours a day (no exaggeration) for about 2-months. Breeze, hell no. But it's possible. Hopefully I'll get just as good of a score on the real test next Friday!

Good luck to you!!!

We are in the same situation mate! My prep is the same as yours, and I am burned out now!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
celluloidandroid wrote:
The problem here is that the people who do the best are the most likely to brag. The numbers show us that NOT many people get above 600. So when we search the net to read about GMAT stories and they always seem to be about people getting 600+ it's because they're the only ones bragging. People don't get online to write huge blogs about studying your way to a 500 score.
When I realized that fact, I stopped reading other peoples stories and focused on my own studies; only searching this forum for problem explanations when the book fell short. I've been much happier since. :)

While your post is based in truth, it isn't completely true. And I really don't like the way you throw "brag" around so easily. Completely true that the people who post long debriefs are the ones who have scored a good score (whether that's a 600 or a 700 is for them to say themselves). But this is not about bragging - it's about trying to help other people who might have similar tendencies or inclinations and get them to the score they want. If you really read the posts, you'll see many people who have worked their way up from 400s to 700s. I understand that you're trying to just say that it's better to focus on your own preparation than get caught up with other people's, but don't undermine the importance of these debriefs to just state that they are bragging rights. Personally, I wouldn't have chosen any of the books I did to prepare for the GMAT if it weren't for the debriefs from those who took the test before me.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Phi Theta Kappa, Dean's list, Chancelors list, Who's Who award, ASCPA
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Accounting
 Q36  V36
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Tax
Send PM
Dude, don't be so defensive. I wasn't attacking anybody with the word 'brag.' We are all here for the same reason.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Lol, not defensive. Just saying it was weird to put it that way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GLookup wrote:
I'm sorry but I F'ing hate the GMAT. I studied damn near all last year and got 530. 90th percentile on verbal, but 14th percentile on math.

I just don't get it. I study, I review, I'm consistent, yet, I suck. I've done a class, I have a solid tutor, I read the forums and strategy guides....no dice. CFA, no problem. Working as a corp. fin. analyst, no problem. Programming, no problem. Soft/social skills, no problem. All the above negated by a goddamn standardized exam.

Today, however, I've just stopped caring. F it. I'm taking the GMAT exam (which has been the bane of my existence for more than a year) of at the end of September no matter where I'm scoring at that point.

I feel like such a hater too because I'm so jealous of all the people who seemingly just Waltz into 650+ scores and complain about only getting a 710.

I'm developing a serious inferiority complex from this entire experience. It's embarrassing when everyone knows you're working your ass off, but you just can't get the job done. My confidence in myself is shot.....it's ruining my relationships with people because I'm constantly pissed off at myself.

I don't want any pep talks....so please don't bother responding. I'm simply too embarrassed to get this off my chest to anybody I know personally, thus, I'm using the anonymity of this forum as a place to vent.

I understand where you're coming from, as I'm in the same boat.

My experiences with GMAT so far has been less than stellar; however, I'm beginning to really understand what's involved.

One of my greatest hero's is Aryton Senna, and he was the best at what he did because he lived for the details.

I'm also learning that in order to beat the GMAT, you have to nit-pick with every detail that's being tested, no matter how insignificant.

Keep trying!!!!!

Failing the GMAT is only when you give up on it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
Send PM
I'm starting from a very low point - I haven't taken a full CAT because I desperately need to work on my math. I have a math background, did okay in it in high school (although I joke that grade 9 was the peak of my math career when I was the highest scorer at my school on a national math contest) but the math classes in university were quite easy - calculus and finite for business plus two semesters of stats where I found that doing my homework drunk somehow made it work out.

I bombed (and I mean bombed) the GMATClub diagnostic. I'm talking 3.5 percentile kind of bombed... so basically I have a lot of work to do in order to get stuff going.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
megany wrote:
I'm starting from a very low point - I haven't taken a full CAT because I desperately need to work on my math. I have a math background, did okay in it in high school (although I joke that grade 9 was the peak of my math career when I was the highest scorer at my school on a national math contest) but the math classes in university were quite easy - calculus and finite for business plus two semesters of stats where I found that doing my homework drunk somehow made it work out.

I bombed (and I mean bombed) the GMATClub diagnostic. I'm talking 3.5 percentile kind of bombed... so basically I have a lot of work to do in order to get stuff going.

Sounds alot like me. I didn't even take a legitimate math course as an undergrad due to my major requirements. So basically I am beginning from high school.

I got (what I believe) the equivalent of a upper 300's/lower 400's score on the diagnostic exam. Even worse, I took approximately 4-5 hours to finish it.

I am starting at a very low point and the progress is devastatingly slow...But there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
thanks for your post...you confirmed that the gmat is a question of nerves and the commitment is very high:-)
i am sorry man!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PMI, PMP, IEEE
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:IIMA-PGPX, ISB, Darden, Wharton, INSEAD, Austin
 Q42  V42
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 6 years full-time as of Aug 2011
Send PM
hehe.. I hear I hear... think about a person like me getting close to 700 yet so far from getting into a good school. Do not focus on just one section and bomb the other - adcom's like to see a good balance. I was at a similar stage and was relieved to see a 690 until i realized a 59%ile Quant will not get my to the school of my choice! I am sick of the GMAT too but got to take it again :(

Keep working and visualizing where you will be a couple of years after your MBA..
Good luck.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts