GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 15:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51100
If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 01:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:07) correct 26% (01:16) wrong based on 231 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7099
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 08:59
Bunuel wrote:
If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?

(1) |b| = |d|
(2) b = -d


Kudos for correct solution.


Hi,
Since it is dealing with modulus, lets see what info we get from the Q..

Quote:
If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?

|a|=|c| means that irreespective of sign of b and d, the answer will be YES, if b and d have SAME NUMERIC VALUE..
lets see the choices..
(1) |b| = |d|
same numeric value..
suff

(2) b = -d
same numeric value..
suff
D

_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Current Student
avatar
B
Status: Persevere
Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 119
Location: Hong Kong
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.52
Reviews Badge
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 09:11
Bunuel wrote:
If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?

(1) |b| = |d|
(2) b = -d


Kudos for correct solution.


Statement 1:
|b| = |d|
This implies that either b = d or b = -d [Though, we will also get -b = -d and -b = d, we can ignore them as they are equivalent to b = d and b = -d]
First consider, b = d
replacing b = a and d = c, we get a = c.
Hence, |a| = |c|
Now, consider, b = -d
Again, replacing b = a and d = c, we get a = -c
Hence, |a| = |c|
Therefore, in either case we are able to answer the question is |a| = |c| = 0? with a definitive 'yes'.
Hence, statement 1 is sufficient. Options B, C and E are ruled out.

Statement 2:
b = -d
Again, replacing b = a and d = c, we get a = -c
Hence, |a| = |c|
Therefore, we are able to answer the question is |a| = |c| = 0? with a definitive 'yes'.
Hence, statement 2 is also sufficient. Option A is also ruled out.

The correct answer, therefore, is D
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 6619
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 17:57
2
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?

(1) |b| = |d|
(2) b = -d


When you modify the original condition and the question, they become |a|=|c|?--> |b|=|d|?--> b=-d or d?, which makes 1)=2). Also, each of them is yes, which is sufficient.
Therefore, the answer is D.


 Once we modify the original condition and the question according to the variable approach method 1, we can solve approximately 30% of DS questions.
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Posts: 521
Location: United States (LA)
Reviews Badge
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2016, 13:20
From the question it is clear that we have to check if numerical values of a and c are equal (signs will not matter)
Statement 1 says |b| = |d| . It clearly shows that |a| = |c| as a = b and c = d so sufficient
Statement 2 says b = -d. It clearly tells that numerical value of b and d is same which in turn says |a| = |c| so sufficient
Correct answer - D
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1268
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 03:46
chetan2u Bunuel VeritasPrepKarishma niks18

I am really confused about opening modulus in both sides of equality
in spite of going through chetan2u signature

I could get away by simply substituting a and c for b and d resp to establish suff for St 1
but St 2 was confusing.

Can you please add your two cents?
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

PS Forum Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 1217
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 22:49
2
adkikani wrote:
chetan2u Bunuel VeritasPrepKarishma niks18

I am really confused about opening modulus in both sides of equality
in spite of going through chetan2u signature

I could get away by simply substituting a and c for b and d resp to establish suff for St 1
but St 2 was confusing.

Can you please add your two cents?


Hi adkikani

mod is always positive, so if \(x<0\) i.e negative then \(|x| =-x\)

for eg. if \(x=-3\) then \(|-3|=-(-3)=3\)

so for Statement 2: \(b=-d\) is simply \(|b|=|-d|\), apply mod on both sides

which in turn is \(|b|=|d|\), now substitute the value of \(b\) & \(d\) to get \(|a|=|c|\)

Alternatively, we are asked is \(|a|=|c|\), square both sides to remove mod. so the question becomes Is \(a^2=c^2\)?

Statement 2: \(b=-d\), substitute the value of \(b\) & \(d\) to get \(a=-c\). Now square both sides to get \(a^2=c^2\). Sufficient
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1268
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 23:02
Hi niks18

Quote:
mod is always positive, so if \(x<0\) i.e negative then \(|x| =-x\)

for eg. if \(x=-3\) then \(|-3|=-(-3)=3\)


how did you use above knowledge to infer below :

Quote:
\(|b|=|-d|\), apply mod on both sides

which in turn is \(|b|=|d|\),


To be more specific, \(|b|=|d|\), note that we do not know whether b or d is less than zero
but all we know is that b and d have opposite signs. Let me know if I missed anything.
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

PS Forum Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 1217
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 00:19
1
adkikani wrote:
Hi niks18

Quote:
mod is always positive, so if \(x<0\) i.e negative then \(|x| =-x\)

for eg. if \(x=-3\) then \(|-3|=-(-3)=3\)


how did you use above knowledge to infer below :

Quote:
\(|b|=|-d|\), apply mod on both sides

which in turn is \(|b|=|d|\),


To be more specific, \(|b|=|d|\), note that we do not know whether b or d is less than zero
but all we know is that b and d have opposite signs. Let me know if I missed anything.


Hi adkikani

As I mentioned mod is always positive, because it represents the distance from the 0-point in the number line and distance cannot be negative.
so irrespective of the value of b or d; |-d|=|d|

let b=2 then b=-d will result in d=-2

So |2|=2 and |-2|=-(-2)=2=|2| so we have |b|=|-d| =>|b|=|d|
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1268
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 05:42
niks18

Crystal clear now. +1 Kudos :-)
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1339
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 23:46
niks18 wrote:
adkikani wrote:
chetan2u Bunuel VeritasPrepKarishma niks18

I am really confused about opening modulus in both sides of equality
in spite of going through chetan2u signature

I could get away by simply substituting a and c for b and d resp to establish suff for St 1
but St 2 was confusing.

Can you please add your two cents?


Hi adkikani

mod is always positive, so if \(x<0\) i.e negative then \(|x| =-x\)

for eg. if \(x=-3\) then \(|-3|=-(-3)=3\)

so for Statement 2: \(b=-d\) is simply \(|b|=|-d|\), apply mod on both sides

which in turn is \(|b|=|d|\), now substitute the value of \(b\) & \(d\) to get \(|a|=|c|\)

Alternatively, we are asked is \(|a|=|c|\), square both sides to remove mod. so the question becomes Is \(a^2=c^2\)?

Statement 2: \(b=-d\), substitute the value of \(b\) & \(d\) to get \(a=-c\). Now square both sides to get \(a^2=c^2\). Sufficient


Hey niks18,

Red part marked above is inconsistent as to my understanding absolute values are always non-negative rather than always positive.

Please clarify.

QZ
_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

PS Forum Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 1217
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 10:56
QZ wrote:
niks18 wrote:
adkikani wrote:
chetan2u Bunuel VeritasPrepKarishma niks18

I am really confused about opening modulus in both sides of equality
in spite of going through chetan2u signature

I could get away by simply substituting a and c for b and d resp to establish suff for St 1
but St 2 was confusing.

Can you please add your two cents?


Hi adkikani

mod is always positive, so if \(x<0\) i.e negative then \(|x| =-x\)

for eg. if \(x=-3\) then \(|-3|=-(-3)=3\)

so for Statement 2: \(b=-d\) is simply \(|b|=|-d|\), apply mod on both sides

which in turn is \(|b|=|d|\), now substitute the value of \(b\) & \(d\) to get \(|a|=|c|\)

Alternatively, we are asked is \(|a|=|c|\), square both sides to remove mod. so the question becomes Is \(a^2=c^2\)?

Statement 2: \(b=-d\), substitute the value of \(b\) & \(d\) to get \(a=-c\). Now square both sides to get \(a^2=c^2\). Sufficient


Hey niks18,

Red part marked above is inconsistent as to my understanding absolute values are always non-negative rather than always positive.

Please clarify.

QZ


Hi QZ

You are right that mod is "Always Non negative" i.e. either positive or 0. I think either I missed mentioning 0 or I might had wrote that statement in the context of the question. Anyways thanks for highlighting.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|? &nbs [#permalink] 09 Mar 2018, 10:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If a = b, and c = d, is |a| = |c|?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.