GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 324
If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2012, 15:24
2
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (00:32) correct 36% (00:42) wrong based on 716 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following must be true?

A. x > 2
B. x > -7
C. x< 2
D. -7 < x < 2
E. none of the above.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44600
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2012, 15:48
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 210
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2012, 07:19
Bunuel

what is the reason B must be true ???

the range is -2<x<7


A. x > 2 - no because x can be between -2<x<2
B. x > -7 -- the answer is true, is it because the values of x are always >-7
C. x< 2 - no because x can be between 2<x<7
D. -7 < x < 2 - no beacuse x can be between -7<x<-2 ????
E. none of the above. - i actually went for E answer choice

in the another problem we had similar situation
ANY x from the ranges -1<x<0 and x>1 will definitely be more the -1. I didnot understood the reason there as well???

if-x-x-x-which-of-the-following-must-be-true-about-x-68886.html
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44600
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2012, 07:52
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kuttingchai wrote:
Bunuel

what is the reason B must be true ???

the range is -2<x<7

A. x > 2 - no because x can be between -2<x<2
B. x > -7 -- the answer is true, is it because the values of x are always >-7
C. x< 2 - no because x can be between 2<x<7
D. -7 < x < 2 - no beacuse x can be between -7<x<-2 ????
E. none of the above. - i actually went for E answer choice


in the another problem we had similar situation
ANY x from the ranges -1<x<0 and x>1 will definitely be more the -1. I didnot understood the reason there as well???

if-x-x-x-which-of-the-following-must-be-true-about-x-68886.html


Option D is not correct since x could be 2<x<7. Otherwise your reasoning is correct.

We are given that \(-2<x<7\). The question is which of the following is true about \(x\)?

\(x>-7\) is true about \(x\), because as \(x\) is more than -2 then it's definitely more than -7.

To elaborate more. Question uses the same logic as in the examples below:

If \(x=5\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x>-10

Answer is E (x>-10), because as x=5 then it's more than -10.

Or:
If \(-1<x<10\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x<120

Again answer is E, because ANY \(x\) from \(-1<x<10\) will be less than 120 so it's always true about the number from this range to say that it's less than 120.

Or:
If \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x>1
B. x>-1
C. |x|<1
D. |x|=1
E. |x|^2>1

As \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\) then ANY \(x\) from these ranges would satisfy \(x>-1\). So B is always true.

\(x\) could be for example -1/2, -3/4, or 10 but no matter what \(x\) actually is it's IN ANY CASE more than -1. So we can say about \(x\) that it's more than -1.

On the other hand for example A is not always true as it says that \(x>1\), which is not always true as \(x\) could be -1/2 and -1/2 is not more than 1.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 64
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2012, 10:24
Bunuel, what difficulty would you say this problem is? 600-700 sounds awfully high, I was putting it more in the mid 500's.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44600
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2012, 11:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11496
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2015, 00:59
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

This question has a real "quirky" design to it. To get the correct answer, you have to focus on the limitations given in the prompt. Consider ALL of the possibilities for X IN THE PROMPT, then select the answer that is TRUE for all of THOSE values.

To get you thinking in the proper way, consider the following....

If you KNOW that X = 0, is it true that X > -1?

Yes.

If you KNOW that 3 > X > 0, is it true that X > -10?

Yes.

Notice the pattern in the logic. I'm NOT presenting the idea that X is everything greater than -10. I'm just asking if, given the limitations, that the statement is TRUE.

As it stands, this type of "quirky design" doesn't show up on Test Day all that often, but plenty of standard questions WILL ask you for "what must be true?"

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2015
Posts: 5
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 18:43
Brunel need your Help on this....

How can we say that option (B) X > -7 is correct because we are limited by X<7 and so our answer X>-7 could even yield an answer of X=8,9,..... (which is not correct answer/range)

Hence I selected option (E)
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2652
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 19:23
ojas wrote:
Brunel need your Help on this....

How can we say that option (B) X > -7 is correct because we are limited by X<7 and so our answer X>-7 could even yield an answer of X=8,9,..... (which is not correct answer/range)

Hence I selected option (E)


You are neglecting the fact that when we say -2<x<7, all these values ARE >-7. You pick any value in this range (-2<x<7) and you can very well say that x>-7. This isnt the case with options A,C and D.

Think of it this way. If I ask you to pick 1 number from -2<x<7, will it be >-7? The answer is ALWAYS YES. This is the reason why B is the correct answer. It is a tricky question.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2015
Posts: 5
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 17:00
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Engr2012 I understood that, but we should have been picking that option if we would have no other option to select for.

But in this case we have an option (E) none of the above, which can very well supersede the option for X>-7.

Please let me know if I am still missing on something else here.
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2652
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 17:50
ojas wrote:
Engr2012 I understood that, but we should have been picking that option if we would have no other option to select for.

But in this case we have an option (E) none of the above, which can very well supersede the option for X>-7.

Please let me know if I am still missing on something else here.


In this particular question and for that matter for all must be true questions, you can only be sure of your answer if you can quote 1 example that will negate the given options.

For this question, (B) was a clear winner. Any number falling in the range -2<x<7 will always be true for x>-7. There is no example of a number that lies in the range -2<x<7 that does not satisfy x>-7. Had there been a single case of such a number, E would have been the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44600
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 20:54
eybrj2 wrote:
If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following must be true?

A. x > 2
B. x > -7
C. x< 2
D. -7 < x < 2
E. none of the above.


Check other similar questions from Trickiest Inequality Questions Type: Confusing Ranges (part of our Special Questions Directory).
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 440
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 10:44
Bunuel wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following must be true?

A. x > 2
B. x > -7
C. x< 2
D. -7 < x < 2
E. none of the above.


Given: -2<x<7.

Now, any x from this true range is more than -7, so x>-7 must be true.

Answer: B.


Bunuel, my friend :) i have a question :-)

if x > -2 and x < 7 it means that x is between -2 and 7 So how can B be the answer; B says x > -7 ? if x>-7 that means x can be any positive number it can be more than 7 ...

can you explain ? :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Aug 2017
Posts: 10
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 12:30
if x>-2, it 100%, without a doubt, x HAS to be x>-7.

-2>-7 ALWAYS.

So since we know that X > -2, it absolutely is greater than -7.
Re: If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2018, 12:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If it is true that x > -2 and x <7, which of the following m

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.