It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 15:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the square root of p^2 is an integer greater than 1, which of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 129030 [0], given: 12187

If the square root of p^2 is an integer greater than 1, which of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 07:51
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:17) correct 47% (01:26) wrong based on 134 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If the square root of p^2 is an integer greater than 1, which of the following must be true?

I. p^2 has an odd number of positive factors

II. p^2 can be expressed as the product of an even number of positive prime factors

III. p has an even number of positive factors

A. I
B. II
C. III
D. I and II
E. II and III
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 129030 [0], given: 12187

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5486 [0], given: 112

Re: If the square root of p^2 is an integer greater than 1, which of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 08:16
Bunuel wrote:
If the square root of p^2 is an integer greater than 1, which of the following must be true?

II. p^2 can be expressed as the product of an even number of positive prime factors

A. I
B. II
C. III
D. I and II
E. II and III

It is given that \(\sqrt{p^2}\)>1 and is an integer..
Also \(\sqrt{p^2}\)=p
so p^2 is a perfect square and p is an integer>1..

lets see three statements:-
I. p^2 has an odd number of positive factors-- TRUE
A perfect square has an Odd number of perfect square ..
WHY? Because all factors will have a different integer as a pair except p..
p*p=p^2.. so that will be just one factor

again TRUE
25 =5*5 ; 49= 7*7 ; 36 = 2*2*3*3

III. p has an even number of positive factors..
Since it uses 'HAS', if we find one which does not follow the statement is not true..
we already know that A perfect square has an Odd number of perfect square ..
so if p is a perfetct square itself ans is No

ONLY I and II are true
D

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5486 [0], given: 112

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 6

Re: If the square root of p^2 is an integer greater than 1, which of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 14:09
Bunuel wrote:

A. I
B. II
C. III
D. I and II
E. II and III

We are told that \(\sqrt{p^2}>1\), and it is an integer
\(\sqrt{p^2}>1\) is the definition of the absolute value of p, so the question is saying that \(|p|>1\), and is an integer.

The question also asks which of the following MUST be true, so if there is even one case where the statement is not true, then that statement is out.

Let's take a look at each statement:

I. \(p^2\) has an odd number of positive factors

Since \(p\) is an integer, \(p^2\) is a perfect square. Is it possible for a perfect square to have an even number of positive factors? No, it isn't. All perfect squares have an odd number of positive factors. Why? Factors always come in pairs, but for a perfect square, \(p^2\), the factor \(p\) is paired with itself, and so is only counted once.

Example: if \(p^2=36\), the factor pairs are
1*36
2*18
3*12
4*9
6*6 <-- 6 is paired with itself, and so it is only counted as one factor
36 has 9 factors (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, 36). This is true of every perfect square. Statement I MUST be true.

II. \(p^2\) can be expressed as the product of an even number of positive prime factors

This also must be true. The prime factors of a number \(n\) can be expressed in the form \(p_1^{a_1}, p_2^{a_2}, p_3^{a_3}\), etc, where \(p_1, p_2, p_3\) are the prime factors of \(n\), and \(a_1, a_2, a_3\) are the number of times those factors appear. For example, if \(p^2 = 36\), then the prime factors of \(p^2\) are 2^2, 3^2. So 36 can be expressed as the product of an even number of positive prime factors: 36 = 2*2*3*3 --> the product of four prime factors.

Every perfect square can be expressed as the product of an even number of positive prime factors because the powers on each prime factor (\(a_1, a_2\), etc.) will always be even. We know this because when a number is squared, all the prime factors are squared, i.e. the exponent on each prime factor is doubled. for example, if a number \(n\) with prime factors \(3^3, 47^7, 151^{127}\) is squared, then the prime factors of \(n^2\) will be \(3^6, 47^{14}, 151^{254}\) --> all the exponents have been doubled, thus \(n^2\) can always be expressed as the product of an even number of prime factors.

We are given that \(\sqrt{p^2}\) is an integer >1, but how does that restrict the value of \(p\)? \(\sqrt{p^2}\) is equivalent to saying \(|p|\) is an integer >1. So \(p\) could be any integer \(\leq\)-2, or \(\geq\)2. Are there any integers in that range that have an odd number of positive factors? Based on our analysis of statement I, obviously yes. If \(p\) is itself a perfect square, then it will have an odd number of positive factors, and statement III would not be true.

Thus statements I and II must be true and statement III is not necessarily true.

Answer: D

Dave de Koos
GMAT aficionado

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 02:10
Number of factors of a given number cab be calculated as....
If N = \(a^{l}\)*\(b^{q}\)*\(c^{r}\).....
where a,b,c... are prime numbers and p,q,r,....are their powers, then number of factors of the number N can be calculated as
(l+1)*(q+1)*(r+1).....
For example: Let N = 24 = \(2^{3}\)*\(3^{1}\)
Here, a= 2, b=3, l=3, q=1
Thus number of factors of N = (l+1)*(q+1) = (3+1)*(1+1) = 4*2 = 8

Using same concept: If \(\sqrt{P^{2}}\) = P
then, P^{2} will have number of factors as (2+1) = 3, odd. Statement I is correct
Thus we can eliminate options B,C & E
Now statement II: any number P can be written as products of its prime factors P= \(a^{l}\)*\(b^{q}\)*\(c^{r}\)..... (where a,b,c ... are prime numbers)
Squaring p means squaring powers of all prime numbers i.e. \(P^{2}\)= (\(a^{l}\)*\(b^{q}\)*\(c^{r}\).....)^{2}
Thus all the powers are getting multiplied by 2 and thus they become even.Statement II is correct
Thus we can eliminate option A also

Thus answer is option D

Abhishek Parikh
Math Tutor
Whatsapp- +919983944321
Mobile- +971529685639

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Re: If the square root of p^2 is an integer greater than 1, which of the   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2017, 02:10

If the square root of p^2 is an integer greater than 1, which of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap