It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If there are x men and y women in a choir, and there are z more men

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 73 [2], given: 120

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User
If there are x men and y women in a choir, and there are z more men [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 03:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (00:58) correct 27% (01:30) wrong based on 216 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If there are x men and y women in a choir, and there are z more men than there are women in that choir, what is z?

(1) x^2 – 2xy + y^2 – 9 = 0

(2) x^2 + 2xy + y^2 – 225 = 0
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Oct 2014, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question

Kudos [?]: 73 [2], given: 120

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 145

WE: Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Re: If there are x men and y women in a choir, and there are z more men [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 04:49
him1985 wrote:
I tried to search this question but did not found. If this question has already been posted then please point me in right direction. Thanks

Ques: If there are x men and y women in a choir, and there are z more men than there are women in that choir, what is z?

(1) x2 – 2xy + y2 – 9 = 0

(2) x2 + 2xy + y2 – 225 = 0

A.

we know, x = y+z

1) (x-y)^2 = 3^2
or (x-y) = 3
x = y+3
so z=3

2) (x+y)^2 = 15^2
or x+y=15
insufficient.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 145

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 51

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
Re: If there are x men and y women in a choir, and there are z more men [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 17:48
Is there an easier way to solve this question? When I see long equations I get so intimidated and I am terrible at factoring. Like every question that requires factoring makes me cringe. The numbers never come naturally to me and I usually blindly guess until too much time has passed and I have to guess the answer anyways!

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3699 [3], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 14:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi sabineodf,

Many Quant questions on Test Day are pattern-based, so instead of looking at a prompt and thinking "what is this?", try thinking "what does this REMIND ME of?" In that way, you'll probably be less intimidated by the structure of the questions.

The prompt is worded in a 'quirky' way, but the information isn't that complex. From the two Facts, you should recognize that we're meant to be thinking about Classic Quadratics. If you're familiar with the 3 Classic Quadratics, then the bulk of the work in this question is just about re-writing information (and not about hard-core math skills).

For example, you are expected to know that....

X^2 -2XY + Y^2 can be re-written as....

(X-Y)(X-Y) =

(X-Y)^2

If you're not familiar enough with those ideas/rules yet, then that's okay, but you DO have to have to become familiar and practice them. Algebra is a BIG category in the Quant section, so you have to make sure that you're familiar enough with the broad concepts (and can do the specific calculations when required).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3699 [3], given: 173

Manager
Manager

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 17:02
That was very helpful, thanks!

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 20:34
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 166

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 12:52
him1985 wrote:
If there are x men and y women in a choir, and there are z more men than there are women in that choir, what is z?

(1) x^2 – 2xy + y^2 – 9 = 0

(2) x^2 + 2xy + y^2 – 225 = 0

This question is just testing quadratic templates

St 1

(x-y)(x-y) =9

Since this question is basically asking for the difference between a certain amount of people the answer can't necessarily be negative so x-y =2

suff

St 2

(x +y)(x+y) =225

insuff

A

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 166

Re: If there are x men and y women in a choir, and there are z more men   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2017, 12:52

If there are x men and y women in a choir, and there are z more men

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap