Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
IMD School Moderator
IMD School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:IMD, INSEAD
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:IE Nov. 2011
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
anapplicant wrote:
Many congratulations Andreas. It must be great hearing from IMD. I will ask the same question as Ivan. Why IMD over Insead?

Can you please also share your interview experience? I have heard that it is hectic. Did you interview on campus? Also I would love to hear about your notes on how one should go about preparing for it?

Here are my tips:

1 - Interview : it will be long and with several questions ... be ready for the instant classics (why an MBA , why IMD, why now ..etc) but also for something more specific (How would your boss or your peers describe you? What are the traits of a leader? ...). Try not to answer by the book (e.g. summarizing an article from HBR) but rather personalize the answer based on something really happened to you (e.g. I think a leaders needs to be compassionate, because when I worked as ... bla bla)

2 - Case Study : read and re-read it ... do not kill yourself with the financial simulation (it is not expected) ... just make sure you have a strong understanding of what is going on (if needed do a summary or put all the key figures on an excel file) ... I found helpful to have a quick summary to refer to as we were discussing vs. flipping all the 12 pages to find the specific info. Here I think the key is to show participation ... be engaged but do not dominate the discussion (unless this is the real you!) ... no role play just be natural

3 - Impromptu presentation: since I do not have a biz background I found helpful reading the book "Case in point" ... I think it provides several frameworks that will make you more confident and faster ... here speed is key , you have only 30 mins. If you have the book , read the case on pag. 121 ... I got something similar!

Re. Insead vs. IMD I think they are both great schools ... you cannot go wrong either way ... however I see INSEAD as more focused on consultancy whereas IMD has stronger connections with the industry ... then INSEAD has 400+ students a year ... do you think that <<leaders can be mass-produced>> ? …( quote from IMD’s brochure) … :)

good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Andreas made a good summary, so not much to add...
Just be yourself at the interview, relax and do not panic. Interviewers are very friendly and not going to pass you through stress interview.

The thing which worked for me is summarizing key points on each 'classic' interview question on one paper sheet (e.g. stranghts, weaknesses, leadership example, why mba, why imd, leadership, failure, conflict, teamwork...) - it will help a lot when answering the questions. You may be nervous and simply forget something. For example, this summary helped me to answer questions about teamwork and conflict at work.

When preparing for a case study, simply try to understand what may be the key question/issue (e.g. how to enter the market, what marketing strategy would you recommend, what are the next steps for the company etc.) It is not about testing your business skills but checking how you think and make conclusions. Basically, there is no need to prepare any sofisticated reports at all - it does not work. Just make some notes summarizing product features, customer, market and your recommendations. Other things will cristallized during a case discussion in a class.

During the interview try to be initiative but not self-oriented. Speak and let others speak. Try to facilitate others, lesten to them carefully, fix their ideas, explain yours. It is about working in a team.

And good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Kudos
25340 wrote:
and yes, I am still going to repass GMAT next week ))

Skitalac, очень бы пригодилось, напишу на фэйсе пару вопросов

Esli xochesh, u menia tozhe svoi sovety, osobenno to chego ne delat tam chtobi ne okazatsia kak ia.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi People,

All the best to everyone participating in the Singapore Interviews.

I have been admitted to the class. Hope to see you guys there.

My 2 cents about the whole day :

1. Be yourself and know your application inside out.
2. Answer with suitable examples
for eg : What according to you is leadership? Answer it in generic way but also add (in my case I have experienced bla bla )
3. Prepare for case study discussion and be a team player and do not look to dominate
4. After the impromptu presentation , they will again look at team work by additional data about the case and will look at team's ability to come up
with a common recommendation as a TEAM.
5. Ask proper questions and look insights from the Alumni at lunch.
6. Thank the admissions committee in the end and send an email.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
scbguy wrote:
Can you be more detailed about the presentation and the topic and what is expected in general when doing the presentation. How many people is the presentation addressed to ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Hi scbguy,

All the other candidates in your group and the two AdCom members are present when making the presentation. In my case, this made up a group of 8.

In terms of the topic, I'm a bit hesitant to reveal it, even though I'm sure that they have a few different ones and what you get would very much be determined by the luck of the draw. Suffice to say it would be a relatively simple business situation, for example, a company has a few products - which one should it concentrate on, a company can buy one out of two targets - which one should it go for, a company needs to rationalise and cut costs - which is the best option out of those highlighted.

In terms of what is expected, I can only reiterate what I said before:
- Logic and flow: for example, the task is to increase profitability, you start by decomposing profit into revenue and costs, then you identify cost is the problem area, then you decompose cost and work out where you have slack and then make your recommendation to the company on what to cut and how
- Structuring: many possibilities, but I used the questions that they'd asked and had 1 slide on Intro, 3 each for the 3 questions and 1 for Conclusion and Recommendation
- Confidence and Presentation Skills: what it says on the tin really - whether you can stand and deliver impromptu in a situation you know you are being assessed in
- Brevity: whether you can use the time in the most efficient manner to make all relevant points

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Good luck,
Aman
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
HI IMDier,

First of all good luck, hope you a good session. In relation to my day we were 5, in true IMD style with 5 people from 5 counties, 5 industries, 5 backgrounds and more importantly 5 good calibre individuals.

In relation to your specific question about case discussion, Prof led the discussion no other staff engaged in it. They were just monitoring us. Prof was excellent, a very good listener with sharp questioning skills, exactly what one would expect from an IMD prof. In relation to preparation for case study, I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. I think I over prepared for it, and at times I was jumping from making one point or other. Some would say that’s not a good thing to do in group discussion as one need to build on others point. Not best of my strengths. Other way to look at it is that life gives you all situation at times one knows a lot about the subject other times has no clues, but in both situations one need to be effective. Therefore my advise would be to prepare so much that it gives you confidence to attend the day. (Health warning: beware I have just been for the interview and not yet selected, therefore my advise may not be the best to have)

impromptu presentation: yes you present before all applicants one after another.

In relation to stats, no I didn’t ask any question to related to this nor they mentioned any thing about it.

Official time line is 2 weeks after the interview, but we were told it may be bit earlier than that.

Hope this helps. A number of people in this forum have given a good description of the interview day therefore I will not repeat the content. But my advise would be simple, if possible be yourself they are very helpful bunch and try their best to make the as good as it could be. Also they are not looking for best candidate; they are looking for best fit of candidates. The way I look at it is all 5 of us were good. I would find very difficult to select few between us. But they do this year in year out, therefore I leave this in there capable hands and trust their judgement. If IMD MBA is not for me then I better know it now, then after spending £100k and a year of my life.

Good luck and hope you have a good day.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mahipalg wrote:
Hi guys after a thrilling week. Seeing my application being put on hold. At last I have been accepted for IMD class of 2012. I am over the moon now just have to worry about the finances. Well first thing first let's celebrate. Cheers

Posted from my mobile device

Congratulations, mahipalg, and welcome to the team :) Do not forget to join the Facebook group to get acquainted with other folks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi miguleb, my understanding is that around 40% get call and rest email. Good luck with your interview i hope u have a great day. Cheers

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Concentration: General
Send PM
Kudos
Just wanted to share with you all my experience, for the benefit of future generations of applicants :)

• Applied: Apr-1-2011
  • Email on interview decision: May-10 (there was a phone call a few days before that)
  • interviewed: May-24
  • decision to put me into WL: Jun-8
  • Asked by adcom for the confirmation to keep me in the WL: Sep-8
    (I also attached some information of my career progression)
  • Finally rejected: Nov-8

Pretty sure I was rejected because there were too many applicants of my nationality (Russia). At least three Russians were waitlisted of those who interviewed with me and in the next round. Having said that, I still had a really good experience in terms of communication, interview day, etc.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q47  V41
Send PM
iceman1 wrote:
For all applicants to IMD 2012 intake.

Submitted for the Feb 1st deadline. Lets share our updates.

Another R1 applicant here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Send PM
Do u guys mind sharing yr profile ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q47  V41
Send PM
mn2010 wrote:

I'm spanish, 31 y.o., MSc and PhD in Computer Engineering, 5.5 we, intl experience living in Russia, speak Spanish, English and Russian fluently and basic of czech, serbian and bulgarian. GMAT 710 (Q47/V41), TOEFL 108.

if that doesn't suffice just ask me about concrete details.

What about you? are you applying or thinking of applying?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Send PM
mertvye wrote:
mn2010 wrote:

I'm spanish, 31 y.o., MSc and PhD in Computer Engineering, 5.5 we, intl experience living in Russia, speak Spanish, English and Russian fluently and basic of czech, serbian and bulgarian. GMAT 710 (Q47/V41), TOEFL 108.

if that doesn't suffice just ask me about concrete details.

What about you? are you applying or thinking of applying?

Thanks Mertvye ...... I am thinking of applying but need to retake GMAT before that ... prev score was in mid 600 :( .....
I am originally from India, living in US for 8 yrs now .... have MS in Electrical Engg, 5.5 exp in Avionics domain, good GPA, decent to good EC .....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:INSEAD, LBS, ESADE, Kellogg, Cornell, IMD
 Q49  V37 GMAT 2: 730  Q49  V41
GPA: 6.7
Send PM
Hi all, started work on my IMD application for R2. The first essay question has me stumped. What would 2 'situations of importance' typically mean?? Would appreciate any responses fellas !

Meanwhile, all the very best to all applicants.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Roll call for applicants for IMD 2012

ROUND 1
iceman1 - 660 / indian /
mertvye - 710 / spanish / 5.5 yrs
MBAdreamchaser - 710 / indian / 6 yrs
blueman - interviewing

ROUND 2
ravdoc - 730 / indian / 6 yrs

Originally posted by ravdoc on 24 Feb 2011, 02:13.
Last edited by ravdoc on 06 Mar 2011, 08:54, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I have also applied to IMD, this forum is dead.

Has anyone received interview notification?

Indian/Male/710/6yrs/IT + Entrepreneur
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAdreamchaser wrote:
I have also applied to IMD, this forum is dead.

Has anyone received interview notification?

Indian/Male/710/6yrs/IT + Entrepreneur

Hi MBAdreamchaser, rollcall updated.
forum is dead indeed. Dont know if its a function of the number of applicants, but even the IMD 2011 forum also had only 12 pages of entries. Guess most ppl mite be waiting for the US bschools / INSEAD / LBS etc final results before applyin to IMD. In that case, R1 and R2 might be of advantage.
I'm currently working on my essays, shud be sending in the application by mid March.
cheers, and do keep posting.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts