Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: IMPROVEMENT IN VERBAL ? [#permalink]
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC!

I used only the Official guide (Main and review package). I also solved questions on GMATCLUB website. Can you suggest some books to practice from?
In MGMAT, I got a 680 ( Q49 V33)
Veritas prep mock I got a 720 (Q51 V36)
I the official mba.com GMAT mocks I got 690 ( Q50 V33) and 650 (Q50 V28)
I took my final mock the night before my GMAT exam.

I am targeting a score of 730-750.
I am planning to apply from September this year.
I have shortlisted a few Masters in Management Programs.
Some of them are HEC Paris, Duke, ESSEC and Michigan Ross.

I completed my Undergraduate this year. With a year of Work experience by next year and a good GPA, I only need a good GMAT score to improve my chances of getting accepted.

Thanks in Advance!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Aadhitthyaa,

To start, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. By taking a CAT the day before your Official GMAT, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day.

Beyond that issue, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Aadhitthyaa,

660 is a good starting point towards your target of 730-750. Looking at your scores of Q50 & V29 it is clear that all the improvement that you seek needs to come from Verbal. Before diving into specific strategies for Verbal, it is imperative that you understand what is required to ace GMAT.

What is important to score V40 on GMAT Verbal?

It seems like your preparation for GMAT Verbal has been around practicing questions. While that worked for you in Quant it doesn’t seem to be working for you in Verbal. Your scores indicate conceptual gaps and further gaps in your ability to apply those concepts. Solving questions alone would not be enough to cross the V40 mark; you need to have conceptual clarity and a good hold over applying those concepts to GMAT level questions.

To do this, you must follow a structured approach and use an application process that is reliable and repeatable. Here are a few students who were in the same shoes as you and then improved their Verbal scores by following a methodical approach.

Chintan gave too many mocks while preparing for his first attempt and ended up getting only a 630. In his second attempt, he realized his mistake, followed a methodical approach, got his fundamentals strong and improved to a 710(V38) from 630(V27). Click here to read his de-brief.
    Murali (740) started his GMAT journey only by practicing questions from OG. Soon realized that it required a methodical approach to ace GMAT and set out to do just that. Click here to read his amazing debrief.

Learn the methods employed by Chintan & Murali

You can register for e-GMAT Free Trial and get access to 25+ videos and 350+ practice questions. I am sharing direct links to some of these videos for your easy reference:
• Learn to identify "Verb-ed" forms that don’t act as verbs - Play Video Lesson
• Learn to understand the "Main Point" or purpose of a RC Paragraph - Play Video Lesson

ATTEND THE FREE RC WEBINAR THIS WEEKEND

We are conducting a free RC webinar this weekend. Register now to reserve your spot and learn the methods to get ahead in your RC prep.
Write to us at support@e-gmat.com once you register to get a customized Study Plan to cross the V40 mark.

Regards,
Aditee
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Aadhittyaa,

I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. The good news is that despite only studying for 25 days, you were able to achieve an amazing quant score and a solid overall score of 660. With that said, I recommend that you give yourself as much time as you need to bring up your verbal score.

To make that improvement, you are going to want to use a resource that allows you to FIRST learn the concepts and strategies related to SC, CR, and RC, and then you will need to put in a lot of dedicated practice to test yourself on the areas you have reviewed. For example, let’s say you start by learning about Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to fully master the individual CR topics: strengthening, weakening, resolve the paradox, etc. As you learn each CR problem type, do focused practice so you can track your knowledge in the topic. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific CR question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. By finding, say, a dozen weaker verbal areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your verbal score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

When you do dozens of the same type of question one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to at least around 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read my article for more information regarding how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot