Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619087 [3]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [1]
Send PM
Re: In a class, every student is either American or European. Every studen [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
IanStewart wrote:
No need for a matrix here - we just need to reverse the information in each statement. If, from Statement 1, 5/6 of students are American, wearing a blazer, or both, then the rest, or 1/6, are Europeans wearing sweaters. Similarly Statement 2 tells us that 2/5 of students are both American and wearing a blazer. So the answer is C.

Matrix may not be required in 50% cases. We can deduce the information without getting into matrix.
But it is always better for students to get used to 2 by 2 matrix and make one wherever possible to avoid unnecessary mistakes or miss out on some information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: In a class, every student is either American or European. Every studen [#permalink]
chetan2u

A lot of unknowns even after taking both statements. How is C correct ?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
IanStewart wrote:
No need for a matrix here - we just need to reverse the information in each statement. If, from Statement 1, 5/6 of students are American, wearing a blazer, or both, then the rest, or 1/6, are Europeans wearing sweaters. Similarly Statement 2 tells us that 2/5 of students are both American and wearing a blazer. So the answer is C.

Matrix may not be required in 50% cases. We can deduce the information without getting into matrix.
But it is always better for students to get used to 2 by 2 matrix and make one wherever possible to avoid unnecessary mistakes or miss out on some information.

chetan2u Can you please your original answer, the matrix you have mentioned is slightly misaligned I suppose!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [0]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:

A matrix is never required, and I would never use one -- I'm replying only because I'm concerned some test takers who don't use matrices might think, reading this, that they need to learn them. There are better ways to do these kinds of problems.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
IanStewart wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

A matrix is never required, and I would never use one -- I'm replying only because I'm concerned some test takers who don't use matrices might think, reading this, that they need to learn them. There are better ways to do these kinds of problems.

I’ll too reply once and end it here as I too am worried for the students who are still trying to be at ease with such questions and may find a certain way suiting their needs.
‘Best way to do a question’ would change with perspective of each.
You may not find a method useful, while it may be helping thousands of students. Therefore, we should leave it to the judgement and skill of the members of the forum to understand what is best for them rather than imposing or negating a certain method.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [0]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
‘Best way to do a question’ would change with perspective of each.
You may not find a method useful, while it may be helping thousands of students. Therefore, we should leave it to the judgement and skill of the members of the forum to understand what is best for them rather than imposing or negating a certain method.

I'll just point out that this discussion started because you said "it is always better for students to get used to 2 by 2 matrix and make one wherever possible," and now you seem to be saying more or less the opposite. What you're saying now is closer to something I'd agree with. I only replied at all because I post on gmatclub only to help test takers, and people who might be using a method they find faster and more flexible than matrices might read your post and think they need to learn a matrix, and they don't (and shouldn't). For test takers comfortable with them, there are alternatives that answer a greater variety of questions, and answer those questions more quickly.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
IanStewart wrote:
I'll just point out that this discussion started because you said "it is always better for students to get used to 2 by 2 matrix and make one wherever possible," and now you seem to be saying more or less the opposite. What you're saying now is closer to something I'd agree with. I only replied at all because I post on gmatclub only to help test takers, and people who might be using a method they find faster and more flexible than matrices might read your post and think they need to learn a matrix, and they don't (and shouldn't). For test takers comfortable with them, there are alternatives that answer a greater variety of questions, and answer those questions more quickly.

Sorry, the discussion started because you wrote “matrix not required here”. I for one never wrote in the initial post that it is the best or the only way. I just solved it for a student.
You too gave a solution through a para that can actually and comfortably be derived from the 2 by 2 matrix too. If you have an alternative, you should give it here so that the students are helped and can choose between the alternatives.
Also, this discussion can continue until cows come home, so let’s end it here. We both have a common goal, that is to help students, and let us do it in our own ways.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92918 posts