Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 17:38 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2290 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
Elite097 wrote:
First line of second para says that 'the discovery answers the puzzle of missing baryonic mass' implying that the discovery shows that there is no baryonic mass
Sorry, Elite097, I'm not seeing the implication that you're seeing above.
Elite097 wrote:
Also is it reasonable to infer galaxies hard to detect is same as 'dim galaxies'?

Well, the fact that some galaxies are very dim (low-surface-brightness galaxies, as they are called), is what makes them hard to detect.
When A is a reason for B, it's inaccurate to say that A is the same as B. Perhaps my head hit the ceiling because I'm very tall - but I wouldn't say that being very tall is the same thing as having the head hit the ceiling.

avigutman basically i do not understand the second para at all line by line and relation of lines to each other and structure and purpose of each line, the contrast, the purpose of the contrast, the purpose of introducing last line etc

Well I Mean are these hard to detect galaxies referring to dim galaxies and can that be inferred reasonable?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
basically i do not understand the second para at all line by line and relation of lines to each other and structure and purpose of each line, the contrast, the purpose of the contrast, the purpose of introducing last line etc

Primary purpose questions are easier to answer when we don't read any of the details. Try the question again, reading just this:
Quote:
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers.
These galaxies may constitute an answer to the long-standing puzzle of the missing baryonic mass in the universe.
Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.

That's all that should be read in your initial read of the passage, Elite097. The details' purpose is to confuse you as to the primary purpose of the passage, and each wrong answer choice will take advantage of that confusion.
I demonstrate this strategy in these videos:
https://youtu.be/3NnZEUK1rCE
https://youtu.be/Qyd5onrqTgc
https://youtu.be/hejdaJrbXvE
Elite097 wrote:
Well I Mean are these hard to detect galaxies referring to dim galaxies and can that be inferred reasonable?

Yes.
Director
Director
Send PM
avigutman I wish it helped to do that i would have not had a doubt. i am still not clear about the second para and how they all relate to each other and purpose of the lines and still think it is inconsistent

avigutman wrote:
Elite097 wrote:
basically i do not understand the second para at all line by line and relation of lines to each other and structure and purpose of each line, the contrast, the purpose of the contrast, the purpose of introducing last line etc

Primary purpose questions are easier to answer when we don't read any of the details. Try the question again, reading just this:
Quote:
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers.
These galaxies may constitute an answer to the long-standing puzzle of the missing baryonic mass in the universe.
Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.

That's all that should be read in your initial read of the passage, Elite097. The details' purpose is to confuse you as to the primary purpose of the passage, and each wrong answer choice will take advantage of that confusion.
I demonstrate this strategy in these videos:
https://youtu.be/3NnZEUK1rCE
https://youtu.be/Qyd5onrqTgc
https://youtu.be/hejdaJrbXvE
Elite097 wrote:

Yes.
Tutor
Send PM
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
avigutman I wish it helped to do that i would have not had a doubt. i am still not clear about the second para and how they all relate to each other and purpose of the lines and still think it is inconsistent

To be clear, Elite097, are you saying that you'd still pick (E) had you only read the part that I suggested?
Regarding being unclear on the details of the second para: why do you wish to have clarity? If it's for GMAT purposes, I suggest that you get comfortable with a lack of clarity on the details. If it's for your general life reading skills, I suggest that you dissect answer choice (E) as follows:
Quote:
discuss a discovery and point out its inconsistency with existing theory

1. What is the discovery being discussed?
2. What is the existing theory?
3. In what way, specifically, are the discovery and the existing theory inconsistent?
4. Where, or how, can we tell that pointing out the inconsistency was the author's primary purpose?

I could provide you with a full analysis of the second paragraph, line by line, Elite097, but that wouldn't help you at all, beyond this particular passage.
Director
Director
Send PM
avigutman thats because i dont get what eac line is doing and how it relates and what is eing conveyed.

Discovery is of dim galaxies. Also not sure what phenomenon is taking place. Existing theory- what they discussed through helium

avigutman wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

To be clear, Elite097, are you saying that you'd still pick (E) had you only read the part that I suggested?
Regarding being unclear on the details of the second para: why do you wish to have clarity? If it's for GMAT purposes, I suggest that you get comfortable with a lack of clarity on the details. If it's for your general life reading skills, I suggest that you dissect answer choice (E) as follows:
Quote:
discuss a discovery and point out its inconsistency with existing theory

1. What is the discovery being discussed?
2. What is the existing theory?
3. In what way, specifically, are the discovery and the existing theory inconsistent?
4. Where, or how, can we tell that pointing out the inconsistency was the author's primary purpose?

I could provide you with a full analysis of the second paragraph, line by line, Elite097, but that wouldn't help you at all, beyond this particular passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
Can anyone explain, why B is not correct option for Question no.07?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32982 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
ANKITK13 wrote:
Can anyone explain, why B is not correct option for Question no.07?

Official Explanation

7. The primary purpose of the passage is to

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

Main idea

This question requires understanding, in broad terms, the purpose of the passage as a whole. The first paragraph describes a phenomenon: the discovery of dim galaxies and some of their general attributes. The second paragraph describes how this discovery may help astronomers to solve a long-standing puzzle about the baryonic mass of the universe.

A. Correct. The passage describes the phenomenon of dim galaxies and describes their significance in solving the long-standing puzzle of the missing baryonic mass in the universe.

B. Although the passage discusses the puzzling difference between the two estimates of baryonic mass, this option does not account for the broader topic of dim galaxies.

C. While the passage identifies the newly discovered phenomenon of dim galaxies, it does not offer a significant explanation for these galaxies’ origins.

D. Although the passage compares dim and conventional galaxies in the first paragraph, this option does not account for the important detail that dim galaxies may help solve a long-standing puzzle.

E. The discovery of dim galaxies discussed in the passage is not said to be inconsistent with any existing scientific theory.

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
This should not be a 700 - Level question.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32982 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShawnQ wrote:
This should not be a 700 - Level question.

Agreed, Edited the tag.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
In the second question (It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is an accurate physical description of typical low-surface-brightness galaxies?) I chose (A) since in the first paragraph says 'they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies' and in combination with the fact that they are larger than conventional galaxies I inferred that they have fewer stars in total (for instance 10 stars per unit volume instead of 15, so they have 5 few per unit volume). 

Where am I mistaken?? GMATCoachBen GMATNinja avigutman chetan2u

Thanks in advance­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
GMATCoachBen wrote:
Gmatguy007 wrote:
In the second question (It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is an accurate physical description of typical low-surface-brightness galaxies?) I chose (A) since in the first paragraph says 'they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies' and in combination with the fact that they are larger than conventional galaxies I inferred that they have fewer stars in total (for instance 10 stars per unit volume instead of 15, so they have 5 few per unit volume). 

Where am I mistaken?? GMATCoachBen GMATNinja avigutman chetan2u

Thanks in advance­

­Gmatguy007

(A) They are large spiral galaxies containing fewer stars than do conventional galaxies.

2 problems with A:

1) It directly says in lines 4-5:

"these galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars"

2) The 2 facts you cite OFFSET each other:

(Fewer stars per unit volume) * (LARGER volume) = potentially the same number of stars, since these 2 variables could offset each other

In general, we want to get extremely comfortable with all kinds of rates, since these are all over the GMAT; we multiply the rate by the denominator in the rate.

For example:

(Passengers / Flight) * Flights = Passengers

($ / Unit) * Units = $

(Miles / Gallon) * Gallons = Miles

­I read the 4th line but then I thought that maybe it's a kind of trap given that per unit there are more stars.

Thanks a lot for your help Ben!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts