Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [4]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: In an America steeped in Romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Limara1 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Michael KC Chen wrote:
In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond the city as places for a transcendental contemplation of nature, death and duty.

The country America has several facets of which the author wishes to highlight the aspect "steeped in romanticism" particularly.

I think this is non-obvious. Couldn't it be that "steeped in romanticism" is a facet of cemeteries in America? To me that seemed more plausible than the entire America being steeped in romanticism. I therefore chose answer choice D.

Can anyone please explain why D is impossible? (i.e. why can't "steeped in romanticism" be a facet of cemeteries in America - or are there other reasons why D doesn't work???)

Thanks!

Hello Limara1,

Kindly look at my response to burnrohan 's query right above this post. I have answered his query that is similar to your query.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: In an America steeped in Romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Limara1 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

I think this is non-obvious. Couldn't it be that "steeped in romanticism" is a facet of cemeteries in America? To me that seemed more plausible than the entire America being steeped in romanticism. I therefore chose answer choice D.

Can anyone please explain why D is impossible? (i.e. why can't "steeped in romanticism" be a facet of cemeteries in America - or are there other reasons why D doesn't work???)

Thanks!

Hello Limara1,

Kindly look at my response to burnrohan 's query right above this post. I have answered his query that is similar to your query.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shaddha,

Maybe my vocabulary is weak, but can't an inanimate object (such as a cemetery) be "steeped in romanticism"? Compare to e.g. "this is a town steeped in history".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [4]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond the city as places for a transcendental contemplation of nature, death and duty.

A. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out - nothing wrong - 'In an America' --> indicates an era or type of America (ex: 'In an India steeped in independence turmoils')
B. In America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out - Wrong construction : America as a nation cannot be steeped --> certain nouns don't allow it,country names is one of them
C. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries laid changes meaning --> its trying to link cemeteries to a certain era
D. Cemeteries, in America steeped in romanticism, were laid Oh no, cemeteries steeped in romanticism would be uncomfortable
E Cemeteries in an America steeped in romanticism laid All the wrong punctuation and meaning - cemeteries steeped in romanticism laying out something would be even more uncomfortable
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
the questions tests the specific usage of indefintie article..
america, in general is not referrred,,,but a specific type of america is referred..

understanding the meaning of the sentence is very crucial to get this right
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor

A. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
B. In America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
C. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries laid
D. Cemeteries, in America steeped in romanticism, were laid
E Cemeteries in an America steeped in romanticism laid

While excessively delving upon the semantic difference between the words - lay, lie, laid and so on--- the real import of the idiom 'laid out' has been largely ignored. It may be noted that the bare infinitive 'lay' or its past tense 'laid' are transitive verbs and therefore do take an object after them
Just 'lay or laid' will involve the physical process of birds laying eggs or some action like laying the baby on the cradle or on the bed etc. Therefore, it will be absurd to say the cemeteries laid something or the municipalities or cities laid cemeteries.
On the contrary ' lay out or its past tense 'laid out' refers to a blue print of a proposed plan of action. It is logical to think therefore that the cities laid out a plan in their town planning for cemeteries to be placed in the uptowns or out of towns beyond the downtowns or the midtowns.
That is the reason choices C, D, and E are out of the reckoning, and one has to choose between A and B.

'In an America' is a well-accepted idiomatic saying to denote a status.

Quote:
I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish --- J.F.Kennedy

A is the best answer choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Trainwithnolov3 wrote:

As for answer choice C, can you please explain by "cemeteries laid" does not work? Is it an idiom problem that cemeteries must be laid out by someone? Thank you so much in advance for explaining

Please note the difference between the two different verbs:

lay: to put down and set in position ( I lay the babies in the cot)
lie: to be in horizontal resting position( The babies lie in the cot)

The declination (simple present, simple past, past participle) of the above verbs are as follows:
1. lay---- laid ------ laid
2. lie------ lay ------ lain

Now, in option C the usage is wrong: "cemeteries laid (simple past of the first verb above)..." implies the cemeteries put down someone or something else outside the city (as I put down the babies in the cot). The verb here is to lay... wrong

However if the sentence were "cemeteries lay (simple past of the second verb above)...", the usage would be correct, since then the sentence would imply that the cemeteries did lie outside the city (as the babies lie in the cot). The verb here is to lie.. correct

Nonetheless the correct option A uses the verb lay correctly my constructing the sentence in passive voice: " cemeteries were laid out (past participle of the second verb)..." - the usage is correct since the sentence implies that the cemeteries were laid out by someone (could be the city municipality) out side the city ( as the babies are laid by me in the cot). The verb here is again to lay... correct.

Your explanation is very useful, thank you so much!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Michael KC Chen wrote:

In this case, using the indefinite article "an America" is really an idiomatic way of saying "the way that the country was at this particular time." It's like there are multiple versions of America, and this is specifying which one. Think of A as saying:
In [this country that at the time was] steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out...

The other thing that you could look at is MODIFIER usage. When we use a past participle such as "steeped," we can think about substituting the modifying dependent clause "that was steeped."

It makes sense to use this kind of modifying clause with an indefinite article:
"In an America that was steeped..."
Here, we're qualifying what kind of America.

It doesn't make much sense to use it without an article. No article = proper noun, i.e. there's only one, so we don't need to qualify which one.
"In America that was steeped..." doesn't work. We don't use essential modifiers for proper nouns in this way. (We could use the non-essential "which," but that would be a different construction).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Dear mikemcgarry,
Hello...
Hope you are well.
Can you please explain this question?
Thank you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
'laid out' means 'designed.' Laid may mean past tense of the physical act of laying such as laid the bricks or laid the eggs, making no sense in the context. For this reason, 'out' and 'beyond' are not related here and therefore not redundant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM

(A) In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
(B) In America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
(C) In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries laid
(D) Cemeteries, in America steeped in romanticism, were laid
(E) Cemeteries in an America steeped in romanticism laid

please help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hello, GMATNinja can you please explain why D is wrong?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3516
Schools: Ross '24 (M)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry VeritasPrepHailey egmat
I ended up select choice B because I thought that America is not supposed to follow 'an' (only stating 'America' is enough to comprehend, so there's no need to add extra 'an' as choice A does).
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos