GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 19:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In an America steeped in Romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: In an America steeped in Romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 10:43
Keats wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Please note the difference between the two different verbs:

lay: to put down and set in position ( I lay the babies in the cot)
lie: to be in horizontal resting position( The babies lie in the cot)

The declination (simple present, simple past, past participle) of the above verbs are as follows:
1. lay---- laid ------ laid
2. lie------ lay ------ lain

Now, in option C the usage is wrong: "cemeteries laid (simple past of the first verb above)..." implies the cemeteries put down someone or something else outside the city (as I put down the babies in the cot). The verb here is to lay... wrong

However if the sentence were "cemeteries lay (simple past of the second verb above)...", the usage would be correct, since then the sentence would imply that the cemeteries did lie outside the city (as the babies lie in the cot). The verb here is to lie.. correct

Nonetheless the correct option A uses the verb lay correctly my constructing the sentence in passive voice: " cemeteries were laid out (past participle of the second verb)..." - the usage is correct since the sentence implies that the cemeteries were laid out by someone (could be the city municipality) out side the city ( as the babies are laid by me in the cot). The verb here is again to lay... correct.

sayantanc2k

I don't think that option C is even a sentence. What do you opine?

Can someone please explain why D is wrong?
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: In an America steeped in Romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 14:20
burnrohan wrote:

Can someone please explain why D is wrong?

Hello burnrohan,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The original sentence says that the America was steeped in or influenced by romanticism. This implies that people in America were steeped in or influenced by romanticism. This statement makes sense because romanticism was a movement in arts and literature that can very well influence people.

But Choice D seems to suggest that the cemeteries in America were steeped in or influenced by romanticism. Is that meaning even possible? Can cemeteries follow a movement?

Most certainly not. So Choice D has meaning issue.

Also, in the context of this sentence, the correct expression will be cemeteries were laid out. The verb phrase lay out together means to spread something out. Since cemeteries are pretty expansive in nature, the correct verb form here will be laid out, and not just laid as stated in Choice D.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 14:22
Limara1 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Michael KC Chen wrote:
In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond the city as places for a transcendental contemplation of nature, death and duty.

The country America has several facets of which the author wishes to highlight the aspect "steeped in romanticism" particularly.

I think this is non-obvious. Couldn't it be that "steeped in romanticism" is a facet of cemeteries in America? To me that seemed more plausible than the entire America being steeped in romanticism. I therefore chose answer choice D.

Can anyone please explain why D is impossible? (i.e. why can't "steeped in romanticism" be a facet of cemeteries in America - or are there other reasons why D doesn't work???)

Thanks!

Hello Limara1,

Kindly look at my response to burnrohan 's query right above this post. I have answered his query that is similar to your query.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 14:38
egmat wrote:
Limara1 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

I think this is non-obvious. Couldn't it be that "steeped in romanticism" is a facet of cemeteries in America? To me that seemed more plausible than the entire America being steeped in romanticism. I therefore chose answer choice D.

Can anyone please explain why D is impossible? (i.e. why can't "steeped in romanticism" be a facet of cemeteries in America - or are there other reasons why D doesn't work???)

Thanks!

Hello Limara1,

Kindly look at my response to burnrohan 's query right above this post. I have answered his query that is similar to your query.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shaddha,

Maybe my vocabulary is weak, but can't an inanimate object (such as a cemetery) be "steeped in romanticism"? Compare to e.g. "this is a town steeped in history".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 23:55
In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond the city as places for a transcendental contemplation of nature, death and duty.

A. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out - nothing wrong - 'In an America' --> indicates an era or type of America (ex: 'In an India steeped in independence turmoils')
B. In America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out - Wrong construction : America as a nation cannot be steeped --> certain nouns don't allow it,country names is one of them
C. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries laid changes meaning --> its trying to link cemeteries to a certain era
D. Cemeteries, in America steeped in romanticism, were laid Oh no, cemeteries steeped in romanticism would be uncomfortable
E Cemeteries in an America steeped in romanticism laid All the wrong punctuation and meaning - cemeteries steeped in romanticism laying out something would be even more uncomfortable
Director
Director
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 23:23
the questions tests the specific usage of indefintie article..
america, in general is not referrred,,,but a specific type of america is referred..

understanding the meaning of the sentence is very crucial to get this right
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 04:26
Top Contributor

A. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
B. In America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
C. In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries laid
D. Cemeteries, in America steeped in romanticism, were laid
E Cemeteries in an America steeped in romanticism laid

While excessively delving upon the semantic difference between the words - lay, lie, laid and so on--- the real import of the idiom 'laid out' has been largely ignored. It may be noted that the bare infinitive 'lay' or its past tense 'laid' are transitive verbs and therefore do take an object after them
Just 'lay or laid' will involve the physical process of birds laying eggs or some action like laying the baby on the cradle or on the bed etc. Therefore, it will be absurd to say the cemeteries laid something or the municipalities or cities laid cemeteries.
On the contrary ' lay out or its past tense 'laid out' refers to a blue print of a proposed plan of action. It is logical to think therefore that the cities laid out a plan in their town planning for cemeteries to be placed in the uptowns or out of towns beyond the downtowns or the midtowns.
That is the reason choices C, D, and E are out of the reckoning, and one has to choose between A and B.

'In an America' is a well-accepted idiomatic saying to denote a status.

Quote:
I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish --- J.F.Kennedy

A is the best answer choice.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 10:12
sayantanc2k wrote:
Trainwithnolov3 wrote:

As for answer choice C, can you please explain by "cemeteries laid" does not work? Is it an idiom problem that cemeteries must be laid out by someone? Thank you so much in advance for explaining

Please note the difference between the two different verbs:

lay: to put down and set in position ( I lay the babies in the cot)
lie: to be in horizontal resting position( The babies lie in the cot)

The declination (simple present, simple past, past participle) of the above verbs are as follows:
1. lay---- laid ------ laid
2. lie------ lay ------ lain

Now, in option C the usage is wrong: "cemeteries laid (simple past of the first verb above)..." implies the cemeteries put down someone or something else outside the city (as I put down the babies in the cot). The verb here is to lay... wrong

However if the sentence were "cemeteries lay (simple past of the second verb above)...", the usage would be correct, since then the sentence would imply that the cemeteries did lie outside the city (as the babies lie in the cot). The verb here is to lie.. correct

Nonetheless the correct option A uses the verb lay correctly my constructing the sentence in passive voice: " cemeteries were laid out (past participle of the second verb)..." - the usage is correct since the sentence implies that the cemeteries were laid out by someone (could be the city municipality) out side the city ( as the babies are laid by me in the cot). The verb here is again to lay... correct.

Your explanation is very useful, thank you so much!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 23:43
Michael KC Chen wrote:

In this case, using the indefinite article "an America" is really an idiomatic way of saying "the way that the country was at this particular time." It's like there are multiple versions of America, and this is specifying which one. Think of A as saying:
In [this country that at the time was] steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out...

The other thing that you could look at is MODIFIER usage. When we use a past participle such as "steeped," we can think about substituting the modifying dependent clause "that was steeped."

It makes sense to use this kind of modifying clause with an indefinite article:
"In an America that was steeped..."
Here, we're qualifying what kind of America.

It doesn't make much sense to use it without an article. No article = proper noun, i.e. there's only one, so we don't need to qualify which one.
"In America that was steeped..." doesn't work. We don't use essential modifiers for proper nouns in this way. (We could use the non-essential "which," but that would be a different construction).

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 12:12
Dear mikemcgarry,
Hello...
Hope you are well.
Can you please explain this question?
Thank you.

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 09:46
Top Contributor
'laid out' means 'designed.' Laid may mean past tense of the physical act of laying such as laid the bricks or laid the eggs, making no sense in the context. For this reason, 'out' and 'beyond' are not related here and therefore not redundant.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 08:44

(A) In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
(B) In America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries were laid out
(C) In an America steeped in romanticism, cemeteries laid
(D) Cemeteries, in America steeped in romanticism, were laid
(E) Cemeteries in an America steeped in romanticism laid

please help!
Re: In an America steeped in Romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond &nbs [#permalink] 04 Aug 2018, 08:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

In an America steeped in Romanticism, cemeteries were laid out beyond

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap