Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:20 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619743 [1]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [1]
Given Kudos: 359
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [2]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C., wheat was cultivated in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C., wheat was cultivated in considerable quantities, but After 2900B.C., production of that grain began to decline as the production of barly increased sharply.Some historians who study ancient Mesopotamia content that the decline in wheat production was due to excessive irrigation, lack of drainage, and the consequent accumulation of salt residues in the soil.

Which one of the following, if true, most help to support the historian's contention concerning the reasons for the decline in wheat production in ancient Mesopotamia?

A. The cultivation of barely requires considerably less water than does the cultivation of wheat.

B. Barly has much greater resistance to the presence of salt in soil than does wheat.

C. Prior to 2900 B.C., barly was cultivated along with wheat, but the amount of barely produced was far less than the amount of wheat blights.

D. Around 2900 B.C., a series of wheat blights occurred, destroying much of the wheat crop year after year.

E. Literary and archaeological evidence indicates that in the period following 2900B.C., barely became the principal grain in the diet of most of the inhabitants of Mesopotamia.

Hi Bunuel

Nice trick question. You have to be quite literal with the options.

option (B) is the correct answer choice.

option (A) looks tempting "The cultivation of barely requires considerably less water than does the cultivation of wheat"...but that does not add any info why to change from wheat to barly. After all irrigation/water was not an issue but rather their excessive use led to excessive salts deposition that wheat crops can survive on.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C., wheat was cultivated in [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts