Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: In colonial Connecticut between 1670 and 1719, women participated in [#permalink]
GMATNinja, I selected A for Q3 based on the following lines:
in fact, both the absolute numbers and the percentage of adult women participating in civil cases grew steadily throughout the eighteenth century, but the legal activity of men also increased dramatically, and at a much faster rate.

Could you please advice why my line of reasoning is not correct?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: In colonial Connecticut between 1670 and 1719, women participated in [#permalink]
For question 3 - Options A and B are distortions, while option C is perfect.

(A) Both men (yes) and women (no) had more economic responsibilities at the end of the century than they had had at the beginning of the century. - Their number and %age amongst women increased, but "Single, married, and widowed women continued to pursue their own and their husbands’ debtors through legal action much as they had done in the previous century," so economic responsibilities remained the same.
(B) Women’s economic activities had become less varied by the end of the century (No); men’s economic activities had become more varied. (yes)- Again, they stayed the same.
(C) Women’s economic activities at the end of the century were similar to their activities at the beginning (ok); men’s economic activities changed considerably.(ok) -Men’s commercial interests and credit networks became increasingly far-flung, owing in part to the ability of creditors to buy and sell promissory notes (legal promises to pay debts).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
In colonial Connecticut between 1670 and 1719, women participated in [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
yunbao wrote:
For the first question, A)says that it reports an author's view of a phenomenon, but it seems to me that the passage is reporting Dayton's view. Besides, most part of the passage is stating Dayton's work, and explains his logic, which is the legal decision that creditors can buy or sell promissory notes, a decision that splits men and women apart. That's how I land on D). Can someone help me here? Thanks.

The "author" referred to in (A) is Cornelia Hughes Dayton -- you are correct that the passage reports on her view, so this is actually a point in favor of answer choice (A)!

Take another look at (D):
Quote:
(D) assessing the impact of certain legal decisions

Promissory notes are defined in the passage as "legal promises to pay debts." Does this make them legal decisions? The connection there is shaky.

More to the point, the question asks about the primary purpose of the passage, which is broader than assessing the impact of promissory notes. Dayton explores the reasons behind a perceived drop in women's participation in civil cases over a certain time period. She argues that women's participation did not actually decrease, but rather men's participation greatly increased. This increase can be attributed "in part" to promissory notes. So, promissory notes are just one element that Dayton uses to explain an overall phenomenon.

This is more accurately expressed in answer choice (A), "reporting an author’s view of a phenomenon." (A) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja KarishmaB MartyMurray Thank you in advance for your response.
Question 1 in the passage.

Okay, now is A correct because it says "an" author's (Dayton) instead of "the" author's (author of the passage) ? Is this a trap to be aware of? If so, I completely missed this while I was reading through the answer choices.
The author of the passage presents a fact / evidence that the women's participation gradually dropped after 1719 (1/10. 1/20 etc.). However, the author then mentions about Dayton who refutes this data and provides counter premise (different factor) why the percentage and number are deceptive. "...in fact, both the absolute numbers and the percentage of adult women participating in civil cases grew steadily throughout the eighteenth century, but the legal activity of men also increased dramatically, and at a much faster rate..."

At first glance, I was stuck between A and C and unfortunately chose C. Is C incorrect because the author of the passage never reached a conclusion, but provided evidence? And also, if "an" author is Dayton, definitely Dayton's conclusion were not evaluated, but Dayton evaluated the data presented in the beginning of the passage. So, incorrect.

C. evaluating the conclusions reached by an author

Originally posted by Engineer1 on 15 Jan 2024, 19:08.
Last edited by Engineer1 on 16 Jan 2024, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Engineer1 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
yunbao wrote:
For the first question, A)says that it reports an author's view of a phenomenon, but it seems to me that the passage is reporting Dayton's view. Besides, most part of the passage is stating Dayton's work, and explains his logic, which is the legal decision that creditors can buy or sell promissory notes, a decision that splits men and women apart. That's how I land on D). Can someone help me here? Thanks.

The "author" referred to in (A) is Cornelia Hughes Dayton -- you are correct that the passage reports on her view, so this is actually a point in favor of answer choice (A)!

Take another look at (D):
Quote:
(D) assessing the impact of certain legal decisions

Promissory notes are defined in the passage as "legal promises to pay debts." Does this make them legal decisions? The connection there is shaky.

More to the point, the question asks about the primary purpose of the passage, which is broader than assessing the impact of promissory notes. Dayton explores the reasons behind a perceived drop in women's participation in civil cases over a certain time period. She argues that women's participation did not actually decrease, but rather men's participation greatly increased. This increase can be attributed "in part" to promissory notes. So, promissory notes are just one element that Dayton uses to explain an overall phenomenon.

This is more accurately expressed in answer choice (A), "reporting an author’s view of a phenomenon." (A) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja KarishmaB MartyMurray Thank you in advance for your response.

Okay, now is A correct because it says "an" author's (Dayton) instead of "the" author's (author of the passage) ? Is this a trap to be aware of? If so, I completely missed this while I was reading through the answer choices.
The author of the passage presents a fact / evidence that the women's participation gradually dropped after 1719 (1/10. 1/20 etc.). However, the author then mentions about Dayton who refutes this data and provides counter premise (different factor) why the percentage and number are deceptive. "...in fact, both the absolute numbers and the percentage of adult women participating in civil cases grew steadily throughout the eighteenth century, but the legal activity of men also increased dramatically, and at a much faster rate..."

At first glance, I was stuck between A and C and unfortunately chose C. Is C incorrect because the author of the passage never reached a conclusion, but provided evidence? And also, if "an" author is Dayton, definitely Dayton's conclusion were not evaluated, but Dayton evaluated the data presented in the beginning of the passage. So, incorrect.

C. evaluating the conclusions reached by an author

Request you to specify the question number.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1416 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Engineer1 wrote:
Okay, now is A correct because it says "an" author's (Dayton) instead of "the" author's (author of the passage) ? Is this a trap to be aware of?

In question 1, we could consider the fact that choice (A) is about an author other than the author of the passage a type of trap. It's at least a fact that we need to pick up on.

Quote:
Is C incorrect because the author of the passage never reached a conclusion, but provided evidence?

(C) is incorrect because the author of the passage does not "evaluate" the conclusions reached by Dayton or any other author.

Quote:
And also, if "an" author is Dayton, definitely Dayton's conclusion were not evaluated, but Dayton evaluated the data presented in the beginning of the passage. So, incorrect.

Yes, "an author" in question 1 choice (C) is "Dayton."

At the same time, it's not correct to say that Dayton evaluated the data. Dayton offered insights related to the data but did not somehow evaluate the data.

In any case, the passage does not evaluate Dayton's conclusions. It merely presents them, as choice (A) basically says.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Kudos
KarishmaB wrote:
Request you to specify the question number.

Edited my post, question number 1.

MartyMurray answered as well. I am good for now. Thank you both.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
Can some one kindly explain it to me why Option A for Question no 2 is incorrect. I am not able to eliminate it.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
anandchatterjee11@gmail.com
It looks like GMATNinja has covered this one. Let us know if you have a follow-up question.

GMATNinja wrote:
Let's now take a look at answer choice (A):

Quote:
2. According to the passage, compared with women in eighteenth-century Connecticut, men were

(A) more likely to rely on credit and go into debt

This passage definitely contrasts the locations of men's and women's credit networks (women's were local, men's were far-flung). But it doesn't draw a contrast between how much they used credit, or how often they went into debt. That's why (A) is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1840
Send PM
Hi DmitryFarber KarishmaB MartyMurray

Quote:
However, as Cornelia Hughes Dayton notes in Women Before the Bar: Gender, Law, and Society in Connecticut, 1639-1789, these statistics are somewhat deceptive:

Initially when I read this line, I thought that 'along with CHD, Author of the passage also thinks that stats are deceptive' and explains how stats are deceptive. But, when I did the question#1, I struggled, didnt find the answer, went through the passage again and googled 'as X notes..sentences', and I realized my mistake.

My concern is when another person (other than author of the passage) is mentioned, I really get confused and keep questioning myself that what line is mentioned/said by whom. is there any way to come out of this ?

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks !
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi DmitryFarber KarishmaB MartyMurray
Quote:
However, as Cornelia Hughes Dayton notes in Women Before the Bar: Gender, Law, and Society in Connecticut, 1639-1789, these statistics are somewhat deceptive:

Quote:
Initially when I read this line, I thought that 'along with CHD, Author of the passage also thinks that stats are deceptive' and explains how stats are deceptive. But, when I did the question#1, I struggled, didnt find the answer, went through the passage again and googled 'as X notes..sentences', and I realized my mistake.

My concern is when another person (other than author of the passage) is mentioned, I really get confused and keep questioning myself that what line is mentioned/said by whom. is there any way to come out of this ?

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks !

Whenever you read an argument or a passage, visualise someone saying it to you. Say a friend is saying all that is written to you. Now if this friend says, "The researcher believes that X is a member of Y species," then your friend is giving you this information. He is telling you what the researcher thinks. What does your friend think in this case about X? You don't know until and unless he says something like "and I agree with him" or "but I don't agree". So whenever the author quotes someone, it is just that - a quote - till he uses it to support his own case or till he contradicts it.  

­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts