Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 00:27 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 00:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [12]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2154 [3]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Reviews PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 764 [1]
Given Kudos: 522
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: In countries such as Denmark, which is relatively advanced and develop [#permalink]
Kudos
JasleenKahlon wrote:
In countries such as Denmark, which is relatively advanced and developed, the rate of obesity is much higher than that in developing countries. Researchers hypothesize that, perhaps, this difference is due to the increased leisure time afforded to residents of developed countries.

The hypothesis of researchers depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Obesity is genetically transmitted malady.
(B) Access to accurate diagnostic procedures for obesity is equal for residents of developing and developed countries
(C) most activities characterized as "leisure time" in developed countries are inherently boring.
(D) Certain medication that effectively treats obesity are not readily available in developing countries
(E) Few residents of developing countries dedicate any of their time to leisure.

B is correct because if access to accurate diagnostic procedures for obesity is not equal for residents of developing and developed countries, then developing countries may be under reporting the rate of obesity or developed countries may be over reporting the rate of obesity, meaning the conclusion that difference in rates of obesity is due to the availability of leisure time fails.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: In countries such as Denmark, which is relatively advanced and develop [#permalink]
An out of context question-
In option D:
(D) Certain medication that effectively treats obesity are not readily available in developing countries
As "medication" is singular, is the use of "are" correct? Should the correct verb here not be "is"? As, "treats" is also a singular verb that modifies "medication". Please correct me if I am missing something here. Thanks

JasleenKahlon wrote:
In countries such as Denmark, which is relatively advanced and developed, the rate of obesity is much higher than that in developing countries. Researchers hypothesize that, perhaps, this difference is due to the increased leisure time afforded to residents of developed countries.

(B) Access to accurate diagnostic procedures for obesity is equal for residents of developing and developed countries
(C) most activities characterized as "leisure time" in developed countries are inherently boring.
(E) Few residents of developing countries dedicate any of their time to leisure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Please elaborate basis on which we have chosen B over E. And how a negation of B break the conclusion of the argument
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
VeritasKarishma if i negate B, don't i get two options? the access is higher for developed OR the access is higher for developing countries?
So in one case the negation works but in another it doesn't. Does this option still stand as a correct answer?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66912 [3]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ayushgmatclub1 wrote:
VeritasKarishma if i negate B, don't i get two options? the access is higher for developed OR the access is higher for developing countries?
So in one case the negation works but in another it doesn't. Does this option still stand as a correct answer?

What is a valid assumption for the argument? That the number of obesity cases are higher for developed countries not because of better access to accurate diagnostic procedures.

The argument zeroes in on the reason for higher number as "increased leisure time afforded to residents of developed countries."

The argument is giving the cause as increased leisure time. So it is assuming that the difference is not because of something else. Something else such as "better access to accurate diagnostic procedures."

Option (B) is just another way of putting "developed countries do not have better access to accurate diagnostic procedures"
You need to negate the option in the spirit of the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
In countries such as Denmark, which is relatively advanced and develop [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO
The assumption is all else equal, increased leisure time is the cause.

Choice D, does help the argument but it is not an assumption.

How does it help the argument ?
If developing countries had a way to control obesity, then may be the rate of obesity in developed countries is not really high. It's just that the rate is low in developed countries and therefore increase leisure time is not the reason as the rate itself is not higher. Choice D suggests thats not the case.

But why choice D is incorrect is because there is no comparison stated in D.
How do I know if the medications are not readily available in developed countries too.

IMO for D to be correct the choice should be.
Certain medication that effectively treats obesity are not MORE readily available in developing countries THAN in developed countries.

Choice B correctly states the implied comparison by mentioning one of the variables to be equal for both developing and developed countries.

Originally posted by kagrawal16 on 26 Dec 2020, 22:15.
Last edited by kagrawal16 on 27 Dec 2020, 02:55, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
DanTe02 - I have a question that is not relevant to finding the correct answer. could you please help me understand what I am missing here.

Pankaj0901 wrote:
An out of context question-
In option D:
As "medication" is singular, is the use of "are" correct? Should the correct verb here not be "is"? As, "treats" is also a singular verb that modifies "medication". Please correct me if I am missing something here. Thanks

JasleenKahlon wrote:

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7820 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
RahulHGGmat wrote:
Please elaborate basis on which we have chosen B over E. And how a negation of B break the conclusion of the argument

Hi Rahul

The negated form of option (B) reads:

Access to accurate diagnostic procedures for obesity is not equal for residents of developing and developed countries.

Logically, this would mean that developing countries have lesser access to accurate diagnostic procedures for obesity. This in turn could mean that obesity rates are higher in developed countries simply because they are diagnosed more extensively and not because of any differences in "leisure". This breaks the conclusion.

Option (E) states: Few residents of developing countries dedicate any of their time to leisure.

From a point of what it means for the conclusion, it is merely a restatement of the premise given in the passage ("...increased leisure time afforded to residents of developed countries"). Therefore this cannot be the underlying assumption for the conclusion.

Hope this helps.

Srini
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts