Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [118]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [17]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [7]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [5]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: In England the burden of history weighs heavily on common law, that un [#permalink]
Kudos
PraPon wrote:
Lets have some more members give it a try before we post OAs.

Basically I like to read english. I read the economist, smithsonian, the new yorker, and a bunch of magazine from university of chicago, the american scholar and so on.....and believe me: still, these passages are so dense more that these top academic magazine.

Unbelievable...........but I really engaged with them. I like them.

Waiting for OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [5]
Send PM
Re: In England the burden of history weighs heavily on common law, that un [#permalink]
Kudos
raarun wrote:
3/8 correct in 20 mins.i am so doomed.Thanks Prapon for posting such tough passages

Dont worry about getting few wrong in such tough ones. In GMAT you will rarely find such tough passage unless you are running your horse at V51. However, treat these as good practice, especially for figuring out why the wrong answers are wrong here? How the test maker disguises the wrong answer choice with one/two word wrong? How can I build my content maps to efficiently locate the hidden content for Detail oriented questions? Why did I miss that hidden/dispersed sentence or detail? and so on...

I will post few more RCs as and when I come across such tricky ones. Stay tuned!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
ankitD wrote:
Hi PraPon,

Can you explain the second question. How did we come to the answer choice A

Thanks

Explanation for Question2:
When inference questions inquire about the author’s beliefs, look for Opinion keywords. Use your Roadmap to establish the context of this question. Where is the author’s opinion on how common law should be understood? Right at the end of the first paragraph, he says that to be properly understood, we need a “long historical view.” What does the author have to say about the modern
jurisprudential view of the common law? Right at the beginning of paragraph 2, he tells us that this long view is what current legal scholars lack. Put these two statements together and we can make a winning prediction of the correct answer: modern jurisprudence doesn’t properly understand legal history. That’s the answer (A).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
carcass wrote:
PraPon wrote:
Lets have some more members give it a try before we post OAs.

Basically I like to read english. I read the economist, smithsonian, the new yorker, and a bunch of magazine from university of chicago, the american scholar and so on.....and believe me: still, these passages are so dense more that these top academic magazine.

Unbelievable...........but I really engaged with them. I like them.

Waiting for OA

True, this passage (and the ones I posted earlier) are extremely dense, probably more dense than the most articles from above websites. However, not all LSAT test passages are this tough. I usually find 1 passage with such difficulty level out of 1-2 LSAT tests and I am only posting the handful tough ones here. The remaining ones, though not as tough as this specific passage, are still tougher than GMAT :)

Yes I too think economist, Scientific american, Smithsonian, the Atlantic, MIT articles will be a good read considering GMAT difficulty level.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
akshaychaturvedi007 wrote:
PraPon wrote:
Passage

7. Which one of the following best describes the author’s opinion of most modern academic theories of common law?
(A) They are overly detailed and thus stultifying to both the student and the public.
(B) They lack an essential dimension that would increase their accuracy.
(C) They overemphasize the practical aspects of the common law at the expense of the theoretical.
(D) They excuse students of the law from the study of important legal disputes of the past.
(E) They routinely treat the study of the law as an art rather than as a science.

Let me know if you need explanation for any specific question/OA.

Could someone please provide the OE for question 7 in here? I am unable to phase out choice C as incorrect (neither register why B is correct). Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Again look at the second para:

those interpretive theories that do acknowledge the antiquity of common law ignore the practical contemporary
significance of its historical forms.
The reasons for this omission are partly theoretical and partly political.

The underlined part shows why choice B is correct. Also nowhere in the passage does the author say that the practical aspects are overemphasized at the expense of the theoretical ones. He only talks about the practical and theoretical aspects as reasons for omission both of which he says are responsible for the omission.

Originally posted by SVaidyaraman on 15 Sep 2013, 03:56.
Last edited by SVaidyaraman on 15 Sep 2013, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 7

VECHAMSRIRAM wrote:
Hello GMAT Ninja, can you reply to 7th question, As I understand, there is no discussion about accuracy, and I prefer the overemphasis on the practical option.

Thanks

In the first paragraph, the author argues that "common law cannot properly be understood without taking a long historical view." He/she provides a bunch of examples of how history has impacted the law. So, from his/her point of view, to accurately understand common law, you need to look at history.

In the second paragraph, the author complains that academic theories do not look at history: "Yet the academic study of jurisprudence has seldom treated common law as a constantly evolving phenomenon rooted in history; those interpretive theories that do acknowledge the antiquity of common law ignore the practical contemporary significance of its historical forms."

So, modern academic theories do not take the long historical view. To the author, missing out on the essential element of history makes them less accurate in understanding the law.

(B) is the correct answer to question 7.

Here's (C):

Quote:
They overemphasize the practical aspects of the common law at the expense of the theoretical.

In the same piece of the passage quoted above, the author complains that modern academic theories "IGNORE the practical contemporary significance of [common law's] historical forms." So, if anything, the author would think the opposite of the info in (C) -- modern academic theories don't focus enough on the practical aspects of common law.

(C) is out.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Explanation for Question 6:

First on the list of things the british students required todo is to study is medieval cases. They just reworded "medieval cases" into "litigation from the Middle Ages" in the answer choice. both would mean the same thing. Also POE will help in case of doubt - Politics, philosophy, Roman jurisprudence and narrative development are not mentioned in their list of required studies.
Hence choice (B).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
madhavgmat wrote:
Hi PraPon,
I picked E for Q-8.In the passage, the author does suggest that modern academic theories lack an essential dimension that would increase their accuracy(stated as the answer for Q-7). This means that the author advocates a traditional school of thought while criticizing a new trend(choice E in Q-8).Correct me if I am wrong.Also the problem I had with choice A for Q-8 is that I couldn't understand as to what was the paradoxical situation discussed in the passage. Please help me on this one.
Thanks for posting such a tough passage.

Here is the explanation for the Q8:
The purpose of the passage was very descriptive. The author simply introduced the odd way in which common law is studied and offered one historian’s opinion on how to better study it. Simply
put, that’s answer choice (A).
(B) The passage talks about studying the history of common law, but it’s focused primarily on entirely modern theories of study. There is no chronology presented.
(C) We only get one historian’s ideas, Goodrich’s, and we’re given no idea of how influential he is. His ongoing work is Out of Scope.
(D) The passage is entirely concerned with modern academic study. Past theories are Out of Scope.
(E) If the author advocated anything, it would be Goodrich’s new theory, not the traditional school of thought. Even still, Goodrich’s theory is just a suggestion, not necessarily a new “trend.”
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
akshaychaturvedi007 wrote:
PraPon wrote:
ankitD wrote:
Hi PraPon,

Can you explain the second question. How did we come to the answer choice A

Thanks

Explanation for Question2:
When inference questions inquire about the author’s beliefs, look for Opinion keywords. Use your Roadmap to establish the context of this question. Where is the author’s opinion on how common law should be understood? Right at the end of the first paragraph, he says that to be properly understood, we need a “long historical view.” What does the author have to say about the modern
jurisprudential view of the common law? Right at the beginning of paragraph 2, he tells us that this long view is what current legal scholars lack. Put these two statements together and we can make a winning prediction of the correct answer: modern jurisprudence doesn’t properly understand legal history. That’s the answer (A).

Despite reading the above explanation and the appropriate parts of the passage again and again, unable to deduce how choice D can be eliminated, if at all. It sorts of rephrases what the last line of passage 1 and first line of passage 2 says.

Would appreciate help, thanks.

Hi,

Look at the second para:

In theoretical terms, modern jurisprudence has consistently treated law as a unified system of rules that can be studied at any given moment in time
as a logical whole. The notion of jurisprudence as a system of norms or principles deemphasizes history
in favor of the coherence of a system.

But D exactly says the opposite about modern jurisprudence. So it can be eliminated
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32929 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
Sajjad1994, I got 5/8 right in 12 mins and 7 secs, how much time should one take for a passage like this?

This is a 700-level RC so 5/8 is a fine result, 12 minutes are too quick for this one. If you spend 16-18 minutes but improve your accuracy to 7/8 or 6/8 this will be better than 12 minutes and 5/8 result.

Good Luck
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
In England the burden of history weighs heavily on common law, that un [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
auradediligodo Sajjad1994
Can i get the OE for Q4. The last option is pretty close, but the "will" put me off. It sounds like what the option is suggesting is bound to happen. Agreed that Peter Goodrich is arguing for it but why would he agree to the fact that this will definitely happen, he is just saying that it should whereas in today's day and age it is not happening.

Explanation

4. It can be inferred from the passage that Peter Goodrich would be most likely to agree with which one of the following statements concerning common law?

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

Goodrich’s opinion about common law takes up the entire third paragraph. First, he states that it should be studied as a continually developing tradition, not a set of rules. Then he mentions how common law is like a “text” that develops throughout history. He finishes by saying how common law will continuously adapt to contemporary legal circumstances. We need to find an answer that fits any or all of these sentiments.

(A) Saying that common law is a relic suggests that it’s no longer relevant—not an opinion implied by Goodrich.

(B) Again, Goodrich never suggests that common law has degenerated, but rather that it has adapted to contemporary circumstances. No good.

(C) Opposite. This is the political reason for ignoring the common law’s historical evolution, reasoning that Goodrich does not agree with.

(D) Opposite. Goodrich uses a literary model in his analysis, but feels that common law does adapt and is applicable to modern life.

(E) Since common law is continually developing, Goodrich would certainly feel that it will be a little different in the future. This is the correct answer.

Answer: E

This is not the Official explanation rather it belongs to Kaplan LSAT
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
akt715 wrote:
In Q7, I rejected option B because it includes the term accuracy. The passage does not talk about or imply anything related to the accuracy . So not sure how B is the correct option

The modern academic theories are discussed in the beginning of Paragraph 2. There, the author mentioned how modern academics seldom treat common law as constantly evolving and how some theories even ignore common law’s contemporary significance. These are aspects that the author feels are missing from these theories. Answer choice (B) gets to the heart of that opinion, albeit in generic language.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
let me know, please, the OE for he first one (main idea) the 6 and the last one.

As per the six we have

6. The passage states that students of British law are frequently required to study
(A) histories of English politics
(B) episodes of litigation from the Middle Ages
(C) treatises on political philosophy
(D) histories of ancient Roman jurisprudence
(E) essays on narrative development

and in the passage the point is

Quote:
Students of contemporary British law are
(5) frequently required to study medieval cases, to
interpret archaic Latin maxims, or to confront
doctrinal principles whose validity is based solely on
their being part of the “timeless reason” of the
English legal tradition.
so is clear the medieval or middle ages. I thought B but episodes of litigation is synonym of cases ?? mah, weird :(

let me know. thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Send PM
Explanation for Question 1:
In this passage, the author didnt express strong author opinion, hence the correct answer to such global/main point question will usually summarize the entire passage’s contents. Since the author never offers a strong opinion, we need to find an answer that discusses the unusual concept of studying the history of common law
while rarely considering its historical evolution. And, we want to look for an answer that incorporates Goodrich’s opinion that common law should be studied as a developing phenomenon. Choice (D) will fit in this notion. Hence the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Send PM
Explanation for Question 8:

As mentioned in question 1, the author doesnt express strong opinion about the content. The purpose of the passage was very descriptive. The author simply introduced the way in which common law is studied and offered one historian’s opinion on how to better study it. The answer choice (A) just rephrases the same.

Regarding choice (C) The passage only gives one historian’s ideas, Goodrich’s, and we’re given no idea of how influential he is. His ongoing work is Out of Scope.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hi PraPon,
I picked E for Q-8.In the passage, the author does suggest that modern academic theories lack an essential dimension that would increase their accuracy(stated as the answer for Q-7). This means that the author advocates a traditional school of thought while criticizing a new trend(choice E in Q-8).Correct me if I am wrong.Also the problem I had with choice A for Q-8 is that I couldn't understand as to what was the paradoxical situation discussed in the passage. Please help me on this one.
Thanks for posting such a tough passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
tgt2012 wrote:
1.E
2.C
3.b
4a
5b
6b
7d
8e

My answers ...
Please let me know the accuracy of them ...
Thanks in advance :)

Can anyone explain:
why E is wrong in 2 - is it because it is a very strong remark?
2. It can be inferred that the author of the passage believes which one of the following about the history of law in relation to modern jurisprudence?
(A) Modern jurisprudence misinterprets the nature of the legal tradition.
(B) The history of law proves the original forms of common law to be antiquated and irrelevant to modern jurisprudence.
(C) The history of law, if it is to be made applicable to modern jurisprudence, is best studied as a system of rules rather than as a literary text.
(D) Mainstream theories of modern jurisprudence overlook the order and coherence inherent in legal history.
(E) Mainstream theories of modern jurisprudence, by and large devoid of a sense of legal history, are unnecessarily dispiriting to students and the public alike. => too strong

where is the paradox in 8:
8. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) explain a paradoxical situation and discuss a new view of the situation
(B) supply a chronological summary of the history of an idea
(C) trace the ideas of an influential theorist and evaluate the theorist’s ongoing work
(D) contrast the legal theories of past eras with those of today and suggest how these theories should be studied
(E) advocate a traditional school of thought while criticizing a new trend
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts