GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 May 2019, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 09 Feb 2018
Posts: 110
Location: India
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 3.58
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 13:11
AjiteshArun mikemcgarry
Regarding Question 6:
From Para 1
Stress is needed for both types of earthquake . So , I is true. II and III are true only for one particular type of earthquake . How can we say that I and II must be true
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2617
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 03:29
1
Talayva wrote:
AjiteshArun mikemcgarry
Regarding Question 6:
From Para 1
Stress is needed for both types of earthquake . So , I is true. II and III are true only for one particular type of earthquake . How can we say that I and II must be true
I'm assuming you meant "I and III" as that is the OA (D), and not "I and II", which is not there in any of the 5 options.

Let's take a look at everything the passage says about III:

Quote:
In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks like porcelain. Stress builds up until a fracture forms at a depth of a few kilometers and the crust slips to relieve the stress.
We expect a fracture with most earthquakes. The next few lines say that deep underground, the rock is too ductile to crack. Therefore, how can quakes happen at such depths?

Quote:
The question remained: how can such quakes occur, given that mantle rock at a depth of more than 50 kilometers is too ductile to store enough stress to fracture?
By putting so much emphasis on the whole "being too ductile to fracture" bit, this portion shows us that a fracture is important for quakes to occur, but then says the question of how a fracture could actually occur at great depths remained unanswered.

Quote:
Wadati’s work suggested that deep events occur in areas (now called Wadati-Benioff zones) where one crustal plate is forced under another and descends into the mantle. The descending rock is substantially cooler than the surrounding mantle and hence is less ductile and much more liable to fracture.
This portion tells us how fractures can occur even at great depths.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 09 Feb 2018
Posts: 110
Location: India
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 3.58
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 05:23
AjiteshArun wrote:
Talayva wrote:
AjiteshArun mikemcgarry
Regarding Question 6:
From Para 1
Stress is needed for both types of earthquake . So , I is true. II and III are true only for one particular type of earthquake . How can we say that I and II must be true
I'm assuming you meant "I and III" as that is the OA (D), and not "I and II", which is not there in any of the 5 options.

Let's take a look at everything the passage says about III:

Quote:
In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks like porcelain. Stress builds up until a fracture forms at a depth of a few kilometers and the crust slips to relieve the stress.
We expect a fracture with most earthquakes. The next few lines say that deep underground, the rock is too ductile to crack. Therefore, how can quakes happen at such depths?

Quote:
The question remained: how can such quakes occur, given that mantle rock at a depth of more than 50 kilometers is too ductile to store enough stress to fracture?
By putting so much emphasis on the whole "being too ductile to fracture" bit, this portion shows us that a fracture is important for quakes to occur, but then says the question of how a fracture could actually occur at great depths remained unanswered.

Quote:
Wadati’s work suggested that deep events occur in areas (now called Wadati-Benioff zones) where one crustal plate is forced under another and descends into the mantle. The descending rock is substantially cooler than the surrounding mantle and hence is less ductile and much more liable to fracture.
This portion tells us how fractures can occur even at great depths.


Thank you for your reply . I do understand that fractures can occur even at great depths and that fractures cause earthquakes .But, these are could be answers as they occur only in one tyoe of earthquake . The question asks about must be true condition -condition which is obeyed in all sorts of earthquakes
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jun 2018
Posts: 18
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 01:54
Sarthaktiwari13 wrote:
For Q 6 the correct answer, option D, suggests that both stress and fracture must take place in order for ANY earthquake to occur. But the following lines suggest that in case of the less common earthquakes fracture doesent occur. So If my understanding is correct, the answer should be A (only Stress).

"where high pressure makes rock so ductile that it flows instead of cracking" &
"how can such quakes occur, given that mantle rock at a depth of more than 50 kilometers is too ductile to store enough stress to fracture?"


the end line suggests that in both cases ie. deep or shallow eqs fracture occurs so we can say that fracture is must for an eq.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2617
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 19:49
Talayva wrote:
Thank you for your reply . I do understand that fractures can occur even at great depths and that fractures cause earthquakes .But, these are could be answers as they occur only in one tyoe of earthquake . The question asks about must be true condition -condition which is obeyed in all sorts of earthquakes
Perhaps we should look at a combination of two paragraphs (especially the 3rd, which is full of most/others comparisons):

Quote:
Both the P-S intervals and the intensity patterns suggested two kinds of earthquakes: the more common shallow events, in which the focus lay just under the epicenter, and deep events, with a focus several hundred kilometers down.

The question remained: how can such quakes occur, given that mantle rock at a depth of more than 50 kilometers is too ductile to store enough stress to fracture?
This seems to be good enough for us to limit ourselves to two types of earthquakes: shallow and deep.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Apr 2011
Posts: 52
Location: India
GMAT Date: 06-13-2017
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 10:03
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja , Skywalker18 , AjiteshArun

Can you explain the below question?
Quote:
The passage supports which of the following statements about the relationship between the epicenter and the focus of an earthquake?
(A) P waves originate at the focus and S waves originate at the epicenter.
(B) In deep events the epicenter and the focus are reversed.
(C) In shallow events the epicenter and the focus coincide.
(D) In both deep and shallow events the focus lies beneath the epicenter.
(E) The epicenter is in the crust, whereas the focus is in the mantle.

According to me , the answer should be C but the OA is D

the passage mentions the below lines
Quote:
the more common shallow events, in which the focus lay just under the epicenter, and deep events, with a focus several hundred kilometers down.

In shallow events --> focus and epicenter are very close
in deep events --> the focus and epicenter are very far

Hence i selected C. Kindly let me know where i am going wrong


Hi, Coincide means at same level. This is not supported by the passage. D confirms that focus in both events is under Epicentre. Please see the above red colour text for word justification.
_________________
Hope it's clear.
_________________
Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Status: Come! Fall in Love with Learning!
Joined: 05 Jan 2017
Posts: 542
Location: India
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 23:09
Yes - the passage would have explicitly mentioned if it coincided. Since it says "just-under" it cannot be considered as coincided.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Saikiran Dudyala
Byju's GMAT Expert.
_________________
GMAT Mentors
Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 331
CAT Tests
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 18:25
Hi GMATNinja & VeritasKarishma,

I was wondering could one of you experts please shed some light on Q1 and Q6? Like others, I am also very confused as to how option C is the correct answer and D is not for Q1. I eliminated option C solely on defending part because the author doesn't seem to be defending anything.

For Q6, we know for certain that for any earthquake to occur, stress must build up. I am unable to see why III also needs to take place? In paragraph 1, it states "In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks like porcelain. Stress builds up until a fracture forms...." (most earthquakes= fracture forms). "Some earthquakes, however, take place hundreds of kilometers down in the Earth’s mantle, where high pressure makes rock so ductile that it FLOWS instead of CRACKING (Some earthquakes= fracture doesn't occur). I eliminated option D based on this and opted for option A instead. I was wondering did I infer the latter part of some earthquakes incorrectly?

If one of you experts could please help remove my confusion, I would greatly appreciate it!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9224
Location: Pune, India
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 23:44
1
JS1290 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja & VeritasKarishma,

I was wondering could one of you experts please shed some light on Q1 and Q6? Like others, I am also very confused as to how option C is the correct answer and D is not for Q1. I eliminated option C solely on defending part because the author doesn't seem to be defending anything.

For Q6, we know for certain that for any earthquake to occur, stress must build up. I am unable to see why III also needs to take place? In paragraph 1, it states "In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks like porcelain. Stress builds up until a fracture forms...." (most earthquakes= fracture forms). "Some earthquakes, however, take place hundreds of kilometers down in the Earth’s mantle, where high pressure makes rock so ductile that it FLOWS instead of CRACKING (Some earthquakes= fracture doesn't occur). I eliminated option D based on this and opted for option A instead. I was wondering did I infer the latter part of some earthquakes incorrectly?

If one of you experts could please help remove my confusion, I would greatly appreciate it!


I agree that to Q1, answer cannot be (C). Request someone to put up a screenshot if indeed the official answer given to this question is (C). There is certainly no discussion on "methods of predicting earthquakes".
Option (D) does look much better.

As for question 6, the answer would be (D)

Notice the first two lines:
In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks like porcelain. Stress builds up until a fracture forms at a depth of a few kilometers and the crust slips to relieve the stress.

This is how shallow earthquake occurs:
Stress builds up -> fracture forms at a depth -> crust cracks

The question is how can deep events occur if fracture cannot form there?
The last paragraph tells us this: how can such quakes occur, given that mantle rock at a depth of more than 50 kilometers is too ductile to store enough stress to fracture? ...
The descending rock is substantially cooler than the surrounding mantle and hence is less ductile and much more liable to fracture.

The explanation tells us this is how fracture will happen in deep events. Hence, fracture is required too.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 268
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 03:10
VeritasKarishma carcass AjiteshArun
Can you please explain the Q8 I was confused between A and B
I choose OA as B because Wadii used P and S waves and the researcher before that didn't.
Though A is true as mentioned in the first line of the paragraph 2
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2617
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 07:19
1
teaserbae wrote:
VeritasKarishma carcass AjiteshArun
Can you please explain the Q8 I was confused between A and B
I choose OA as B because Wadii used P and S waves and the researcher before that didn't.
Though A is true as mentioned in the first line of the paragraph 2
The passage says that other people accepted the existence of deep events "only since 1927". It doesn't say (for sure) that they rejected the use of P-S intervals to determine the depths of earthquakes. In the sentence that you are probably looking at:

Instead of comparing the arrival times of seismic waves at different locations, as earlier researchers had done. Wadati relied on a time difference between the arrival of primary (P) waves and the slower secondary (S) waves.

We know only that they used method X and that Wadati used method Y. This is not enough to say that they rejected method Y. Maybe they just didn't know about it. Maybe Wadati was the first to come up with the idea to apply P-S intervals to this problem. Maybe. The point is that because we don't know any of this for sure, and because we know that what option A says is true as per the passage, we should pick option A over B.
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Custom Boxes Zone
Joined: 13 Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Location: United States
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 07:37
Wonderful topic, very informational and fantastic for everyone. Most seismic tremors had a little zone of extreme shaking, which debilitated quickly with expanding separation from the epicenter, however, others were portrayed by lower top power, felt over a more extensive territory.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 64
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 08:06
Hi, Can anyone explain the solution to Question 1. Why Option c is better choice over option D
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2617
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 19:18
abhishek31 wrote:
Hi, Can anyone explain the solution to Question 1. Why Option c is better choice over option D
Option D looks better than option C. Take a look at this post and this post.

workout, u1983, SajjadAhmad, Gnpth
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2017
Posts: 3
CAT Tests
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2019, 02:17
Can somebody please explain the answer to question 4?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2019, 02:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.